How many nights do you eat out in a week

1-2 times per week. Chinese takeout with the wife and grabbing a burger with the son is the usual routine.

Usually get inexpensive take out once a week. Pizza or subs. We like cooking and grilling at home not to mention it is a 10-12 mile drive each way to get to a decent place. I don't want a 45 -50 minute round trip just to eat.:)

Pre-Covid 0
Mid-Covid 0
Now 0

I ate out for over 30 years when I was w*rking as I travelled extensively virtually weekly. I am done with salty, over seasoned, over priced restaurant food, and we did not eat cheap when on business. My wife's cooking is way, way better than any restaurant. The local Chinese take Out is an exception but only about once a month, if that.

Should have been a Poll.

Last edited:
When we are not traveling:

Breakfast - 1-2 times per week
Lunch - 1 time per week - often skip lunch
Dinner - 3-4 times per week in summer, 2 times per week in winter.

DW and I have not sat down inside a restaurant since mid-March 2020. We've had take-out maybe 3-4 times and a few pizza deliveries. DW has been out with friends to sit on a restaurant patio a few times. That's it.

We never ate out much pre-Covid... generally once a month or so, usually to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, etc with family/friends. It was never about the food. I do not enjoy restaurant food. It's way too salty, too greasy, and too expensive. I prefer healthy, low-carb meals prepared at home with fresh ingredients.

0. But I do sometimes buy already made chicken from the grocery store if I am not in a cooking mood. Perhaps once a month.

Once a while there is family celebration (retirement, birthdays, promotions, etc.) that we would go to the restaurant.

I remember enjoying restaurant food much more when I was young. I honestly don't think that's just "me getting older," since there was poor-grade food back then, too. No, I think restaurant food truly isn't as good as it used to be.

Really good food (better than I can make), such as we had on a luxury cruise a couple of years ago, is hard to find, and too expensive for all but special occasions.

I do not enjoy restaurant food. It's way too salty, too greasy, and too expensive. I prefer healthy, low-carb meals prepared at home with fresh ingredients.

...Really good food (better than I can make), such as we had on a luxury cruise a couple of years ago, is hard to find, and too expensive for all but special occasions.

I agree. We have a local sushi place that we go to most years on our anniversary. You have to make reservations about 6 months ahead. The only employees are the sushi chef/owner and an assistant/waitress. She's also a translator, as the chef speaks no English. The L-shaped bar seats 10 people and they have two seatings at 5:30 and 7:00, but only 4 nights per week. The food is out-of-this-world delicious and WAY beyond my capabilities. For the two of us, it's usually $200-250, but worth every penny.

When we are not traveling:

Breakfast - 1-2 times per week
Lunch - 1 time per week - often skip lunch
Dinner - 3-4 times per week in summer, 2 times per week in winter.

So pretty much daily, or more then one meal out a day sometimes? The only reason I ask is that we find really disrupts the day to go out for a meal.

The time and money it takes doesn't seem to be worth the end result. of course in our case it's 15 miles OW to even a "decent" fast casual dining spot. We never eat out when at home unless we are meeting friends to be social. There's no variety to be had eating out at the closest town.

We've found we don't miss it a bit.

4-5 meals weekly, including McDonalds breakfast. Our McDonalds has been a crap shoot lately, it's kinda like the lottery. You're going to be surprised either way.

Love sushi! That is truly a worthwhile splurge.

I agree. We have a local sushi place that we go to most years on our anniversary. You have to make reservations about 6 months ahead. The only employees are the sushi chef/owner and an assistant/waitress. She's also a translator, as the chef speaks no English. The L-shaped bar seats 10 people and they have two seatings at 5:30 and 7:00, but only 4 nights per week. The food is out-of-this-world delicious and WAY beyond my capabilities. For the two of us, it's usually $200-250, but worth every penny.

The time and money it takes doesn't seem to be worth the end result. of course in our case it's 15 miles OW to even a "decent" fast casual dining spot. We never eat out when at home unless we are meeting friends to be social. There's no variety to be had eating out at the closest town.
That’s definitely an issue for us too - the distance to decent eateries.

We used to combine some lunches out with major errands. But as we became more focused on very healthy eating, we really dropped the restaurants.

Once every week or two when at home and only takeout since COVID. Usually New Mexican food because that is my favorite. When traveling I do restaurant takeout for dinner but pack healthier foods for breakfast and lunch - whole grain cereal, yogurt, fruit, vegetables, and leftovers from dinner. I rarely eat fast food.

On my next trip, I am planning to dine in for a few meals at a good steakhouse or an all day breakfast cafe since these foods do not travel well and I am now fully vaccinated. Otherwise I prefer takeout as it saves time for sightseeing.

4-5 meals weekly, including McDonalds breakfast. Our McDonalds has been a crap shoot lately, it's kinda like the lottery. You're going to be surprised either way.

I once received a hamburger with nothing on it, just the bun. I had asked for no cheese. The punchline though is that the ticket actually stated "hamburger no meat".:facepalm:

I eat lunch out usually twice weekly. I like my big meal early and then just a snack at dinner time.

We normally do not eat at restaurants, unless we are in travel.

Maybe twice a month or so. We like to cook. When the kids were young, I did more of the cooking but now my husband does the majority.

PreCovid we went to restaurants easily three times a week.
Starting to do a little more of this again.

We both observed that the meals are often not as good as our home cooked meals. We have both been getting into cooking very good meals at home. Wasn't expecting that.

I don't think we will ever eat out at restaurants as often as we used to.

It is fun to get out in public, and socialize at casual bars and brewpubs.

JP

Until very recently and due to Covid, rarely. Recently, 2 to 3 times per week which includes lunch or dinner. YMMV

Our neighbor and his family go out to eat in restaurants three meals a day for the last 20 years. I estimated my neighbor has spent over $240K in just eating out.

That works out to ~$8/person for a family of four; a pretty good deal if it's healthy.

And if you want one glass of wine, which is all we consume at a meal, it will cost 4x what you'd pay for your own bottle at home.

That has always been true...the thing is, I just don't recall restaurant food being so expensive 20+ years ago, even accounting for inflation. Memory can be deceptive, so I could be wrong about this. Note, I am talking about sit-down restaurants with tablecloths.

We both observed that the meals are often not as good as our home cooked meals.
JP

We live in a food rich environment (SF Bay); both restaurants and groceries. We can walk to great restaurants and high quality organic groceries are readily available in many local stores or delivered to our door. DGF is a fantastic cook and we typically eat only two meals per day, with some intermittent fasting during the week. With all that said, we typically eat dinner out 1-2/wk & I eat breakfast or lunch out once every couple of weeks. When we have dinner out, we typically go to higher end restaurants that cook dishes we wouldn't/couldn't make; for us it's as much the experience as the food.

And if you want one glass of wine, which is all we consume at a meal, it will cost 4x what you'd pay for your own bottle at home.

That has always been true...the thing is, I just don't recall restaurant food being so expensive 20+ years ago, even accounting for inflation. Memory can be deceptive, so I could be wrong about this. Note, I am talking about sit-down restaurants with tablecloths.
Definitely wine is so much more expensive at restaurants!

But what really gets me now is that the wine lists are so boring compared to my collection at home. And many restaurants seems to carry the very same boring (IMO) wines.

Definitely not an issue in Europe, thank goodness!

Back
Top Bottom