How many nights do you eat out in a week

Rarely these days. Maybe 1-2 times per month, for lunch or dinner.

Maybe 5 to 7 times a year. Mostly if we are out of town and need to eat, but will have a lunch, ever so often.

At my primary home I eat out(including pickup) roughly 3 times a week. When at my condo in Orange Beach almost daily.

Most of the responses help to explain why the food budgets are closer to $500 monthly in other threads.

We do either lunch or dinner once or twice a week, usually as take-out. We recently found and amazing Indian restaurant that just opened up in January that has convinced us to dine in more than we used to.

None: $-0-$

As Dtail^ mentioned, its as costly over time as investment ERs can be!

I refuse to pay 5/6dollars for a salad that costs close to 1 buck!
I used to be in produce.......;)

Do not get me started on Oranges & Banannas.:LOL:
Good luck & Best wishes....

Last edited:
Not quite yet retired, but close. We (family of 4) eat out a lot per week. Maybe on average 2 lunches and 3 dinners per week.

Picked up a couple Thai chicken salads for lunch. Yesterday was a couple taco salads.

Mostly lunches when it strikes us, though we did walk to the French place on Tuesday, then wobbled home, all nice and giggly.

We go out for lunch 2 - 3 times a week.

About the same post our covid shots. May add dinner in the coming months.

? times a week.

Heh heh heh - Have done take out/delivery during lockdown only 3-4 times or so. :cool:

Dinner, maybe a few times per year, usually to celebrate some occasion with someone who wants to go out to dinner. Over-priced food and drink, plus a tip - we just don't see the value and don't enjoy the "going out" aspect much. We go out for lunch once a month or so.

Breakfast is our biggest going-out meal, partly because the servings are so big at most places that we can usually get two meals out of them. Also, my parents started a diner in 1953 that's still going like gangbusters, with big American breakfasts as a major draw, and I like taking mom there a couple times a month because she enjoys it so much, as do the customers she talks to.

None: $-0-$

As Dtail^ mentioned, its as costly over time as investment ERs can be!

I refuse to pay 5/6dollars for a salad that costs close to 1 buck!
I used to be in produce.......;)

Do not get me started on Oranges & Banannas.:LOL:
Good luck & Best wishes....

Zero:confused: Wow; what's with all the zeroes? Eating out is great, and can't we afford it now? If you don't do it these days, then when? You don't have to get a salad, Bolt. We usually eat out for dinner; both DW and I ordering an entree. My answer is about 3-4 times a week; more when traveling.

Occasionally, I like to go out to eat if I suddenly crave some dishes.

Most of the time, we cook whatever we like to eat, because cooking is part of the fun. With the Web, one can learn to make any dishes.

This reminds me that I need to make another try at Adana Kebab. My 1st try a couple of weeks ago was a disaster. This time, I am going to cheat by mixing in a bit of flour to make the meat stick together better. Additionally, I will just use flour tortilla, rather than getting the genuine lavash bread, which is tricky to handle.

You've inspired me to do this, I just fixed the BBQ so this will be a good thing to do on it.
I'm going to go with the flour tortilla as a first timer.
Do you actually use lamb, or a pork & beef mixture ?

And if you want one glass of wine, which is all we consume at a meal, it will cost 4x what you'd pay for your own bottle at home.

That has always been true...the thing is, I just don't recall restaurant food being so expensive 20+ years ago, even accounting for inflation. Memory can be deceptive, so I could be wrong about this. Note, I am talking about sit-down restaurants with tablecloths.

Prices have skyrocketed with the increase in wages and food prices. We used to be able to get a relatively casual meal out at a sit down, non-chain restaurant with one glass of wine or drink each for $60-$80. Now this is $100+. A fine dining experience with a bottle of wine, even if we bring it ourselves and just pay corkage, is often close to or over $200. Yikes!

A cup of coffee at the airport is $3.50. It costs like a few cents per cup if you brew your own at home. I just order tap water in restaurants.

We rarely eat out at night.

Twice a week we have a combined lunch dinner (or sometimes breakfast lunch). Currently we are usually doing that once a week at a restaurant and the other is takeout that we bring home. For over a year during Covid we solely did take out. We found we liked it so are continuing it once a week usually. Occasionally we have a third meal out.

We aren't found of a lot of expensive fancy places so usually get something from a fast casual place (Panera is the favorite). Sometimes he go to better restaurants.

Oh -- I forgot. Now that I can go out again, I have lunch with a friend once a week.

You've inspired me to do this, I just fixed the BBQ so this will be a good thing to do on it.
I'm going to go with the flour tortilla as a first timer.
Do you actually use lamb, or a pork & beef mixture ?

I made it for a Father's Day pot luck, and not everyone in the family eats lamb, so made Adana Kebab with beef. I also tried chicken, as that was also shown on Youtube.

The flavor from the herb and spice was wonderful, but the meat did not stay intact on the skewers. My wife said perhaps we could just make meatballs, but then it would not be Adana Kebab.

I was able to get sumac at an ethnic store, which also carried lavash bread. Sumac is a wonderful spice to marinate chicken for grilling, and I had used it before.

Last edited:
Depends on the week and our respective schedules. I would say usually twice a week, give or take a night…

zero, wife is a certified chef and can make better meals than any restaurant in Omaha Lincoln area and lots cheaper too. Only time we dine out is when we travel long distance and stay at hotels. We do not order meal delivery either. Know lots of people who eat out to the point of having little to no disposable income left at the end of the month. Make our own coffee as well, i have yet to find a better coffe than just plain old Folgers or Butternut or Dollar General coffee made in our 60's General electric steel perculator

Make our own coffee as well, i have yet to find a better coffe than just plain old Folgers or Butternut or Dollar General coffee made in our 60's General electric steel perculator

Regarding coffee out, we started hitting McDonald's for coffee on road trips and for the occasional fix when we're out shopping. Most stores offer any size for $1, and we've found the quality to be decent and consistent among stores, much better than the coffee at most restaurants.

The price of eating out has jumped hugely here since Covid. I don't blame restaurants one bit, but the downside is it is kind of ridiculously expensive now. Yesterday I did take out for a burger at the local pub grub place. What used to be a palatable but nothing to write home about burger and fries for $9.95 has now jumped to $16.00. I decided after eating it that is was good but not worth the price.

Zero. I don't enjoy the restaurant experience waiting for table, waiting for food, waiting for bill.

Every Tue, Wed and Sat at a minimum. Leaves us both cooking twice a week each - that’s enough for us.

Back
Top Bottom