How Many People Are Left From the Year You Were Born

Also, since the class is a biased selected group (as Ivy League schools tend to be) that is also an influence.

rich people definitely live longer - that's why mortality tables have collar and quartile adjustments

Absolutely a factor too. There's a whole other set of people in jail, on drugs, working in the coal mine, too sick to go to college, etc. They may be still alive at age 18, but might expire earlier than the college kids.

Why would working in a coal mine factor in? I w@rked underground for 35 years in the production aspect of coal mining. My colleagues and I are just as healthy as any other demographic and a majority of those colleagues went to college, also. I know of three people, out of about 3000, who were diagnosed with black lung disease, and two of them never worked a day underground. They were early hires, and had seniority to work outside as a lamp man, and always had a cigarette in their mouths.:(

When did young people start regularly using sunscreen? I feel like women from the 1950's and early 60's age cohort are awfully wrinkled - from all that "laying out" in the sun as teens, trying to get tans. I tried to avoid it, but have my share of sun damage - no sunscreen in our home.

But something changed. For at least 21 years that I know of, if you don't coat your baby with an inch of sunscreen every time he/she goes out, you are considered an unfit parent.

Why would working in a coal mine factor in? I w@rked underground for 35 years in the production aspect of coal mining. My colleagues and I are just as healthy as any other demographic and a majority of those colleagues went to college, also. I know of three people, out of about 3000, who were diagnosed with black lung disease, and two of them never worked a day underground. They were early hires, and had seniority to work outside as a lamp man, and always had a cigarette in their mouths.:(
Sorry, I meant that as a metaphor. Like the song.

Wonder what happened to the 1946 cohort?

Uhg. My father just passed away, and was born in 1946. :(

I learned from his brother that he started smoking at age 12. He never could quit, even after a heart attack he survived 8 years ago. He also refused to improve his diet or do any exercise. I can't help but think some of this is cultural for his generation... breaks my heart.

77.4% of us "1948ers" left. For some reason, thought that number would have been a bit higher...

1946 cohort

That was quite a drop! I'm one of them, & have to admit that a lot of my friends from high school & college are no longer with us. Hmm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom