How much do you know about science topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
12/12 here also. But a retired NASA engineer. Maybe RE types are inquisitive by nature.

11/12
I actually didn't remember what happened with boiling water. I'm a sea level guy.. However, I did remember the gas pressure equation and figured it from there. Ya Physic classes. I missed the magnifying glass I went back forth. I forget the old test rule, if in doubt between two answers go with your first choice.

I find most of these quiz to be pretty silly, but this one was pretty good actually tested understanding of science principals for the most part.

I decided to go back and look at the magnifying glass question since there are so many people talking about it... I think it is pretty easy....

PI_15.09.10_ScienceQuizImages_magnifying-glass.png

First, we KNOW that light going through a lens will not go straight through... so 1 is out...

We also know that it will not bounce off, so 4 is out...

So it is between 2 and 3.... but the lens is like the lens in the eye... so the light will come to a point... so it cannot be 2 since that does not come to a point.... it has to be 3....

I decided to go back and look at the magnifying glass question since there are so many people talking about it... I think it is pretty easy....

First, we KNOW that light going through a lens will not go straight through... so 1 is out...

So it is between 2 and 3.... but the lens is like the lens in the eye... so the light will come to a point... so it cannot be 2 since that does not come to a point.... it has to be 3....

For me, it was also mostly a process of elimination. And that is different than just 'knowing' it right off the bat (as I did with most of them - like I know a light-year is the distance that light travels in a year w/o analyzing it, I didn't need to check the others, though I did a quick scan just to not get caught in a"DOH!" moment). So in a way, it was still 'easy' for me to get the magnifying glass right, but it took those several steps, instead of jumping directly to the right one.

And still, I wasn't sure which side the eye was on - so that made me think a little longer, and double check my process of elimination. If they had shown an eye on one side for reference, I would have gotten it a fraction of a second sooner.

-ERD50

Light going through the lens of your eye converges on the focal point of your retina at the back of your eye. This site on Optics for Kids explains it well (and goes into short end long sightedness too).

Optics For Kids - The Optical Society: Exploring the Science of Light

I haven't taken science since 10th grade biology and only missed one because I was rushing through it. This group of engineers (which excludes me) needs a much harder test!

I figured out the magnifying glass answer by remembering something we did as kids: We would sit outside on the grass and hold a magnifying glass near the grass and watch how the sunlight would burn a blade of grass or a bug. The way that would happen was to have multiple rays from the sun converge on a single point. Only choice #3 did that.

I figured out the magnifying glass answer by remembering something we did as kids: We would sit outside on the grass and hold a magnifying glass near the grass and watch how the sunlight would burn a blade of grass or a bug. The way that would happen was to have multiple rays from the sun converge on a single point. Only choice #3 did that.

+1. That's the only reason I knew the answer to that question.

12/12 but this was pretty basic stuff IMO (I took out the 'H' realizing that I wasn't being 'H').

For me, it was also mostly a process of elimination. And that is different than just 'knowing' it right off the bat (as I did with most of them - like I know a light-year is the distance that light travels in a year w/o analyzing it, I didn't need to check the others, though I did a quick scan just to not get caught in a"DOH!" moment). So in a way, it was still 'easy' for me to get the magnifying glass right, but it took those several steps, instead of jumping directly to the right one.

And still, I wasn't sure which side the eye was on - so that made me think a little longer, and double check my process of elimination. If they had shown an eye on one side for reference, I would have gotten it a fraction of a second sooner.

-ERD50

I just knew it.... I was only explaining it since I do not think it was that hard....

And it does not matter where the eye is located... that might be where some people were confused....

Light going through the lens of your eye converges on the focal point of your retina at the back of your eye. This site on Optics for Kids explains it well (and goes into short end long sightedness too).

Optics For Kids - The Optical Society: Exploring the Science of Light

Well, flush that memory, because they are wrong!

The lens of the eye does not focus an image to a point. If it did, there would be nothing useful to see. The retina is not a spot, nor a panel, it is near-hemispherical in shape. The convex lens of the eye focuses incoming light to a point ahead of the retina. After this convergence point, the image (now upside-down) expands out in size until it hits the retina. The retina is near-hemispherical so that the distance from the center of the lens to the retina remains the same, no matter what the incoming angle of the light passing through the lens is. This avoids off-center distortion of the image.
When my retina tore down from the top, I lost vision from the bottom-up (due to the inverting effect of the convex lens).

Well, flush that memory, because they are wrong!

The lens of the eye does not focus an image to a point. If it did, there would be nothing useful to see.

I don't think that's always true. When we are looking at distant objects (focused at infinity) won't parallel rays focus to a near point on the retina? This is the situation when we look up into the night sky and see stars, for example, and is the closest analog to the diagram on the test.

Speaking of overreactions, a bunch of twitterers have asked why all the bleeding hearts didn't react like this to the kid suspended for a gun shaped piece of toast. The irony is that the everybody did react to the gun shaped toast incident which is why someone would even think to bring it up and why everyone hearing the quip remembers the incident.

Exactly! Numerous kids have been suspended for merely taking their fingers and making the 'shape' of a gun and pretending to 'shoot' someone. Like what you and I did when were were 6, playing in the backyard. Numerous stories abound. Has there been any social media upheaval over that?

ANd even more interesting....did you know the child's father has an interesting past?

The Surprising Backstory Behind #IStandWithAhmed's 2-Time Sudanese Presidential Candidate Father Okayafrica.

He just so happens to be the person who 'debated' the person in Florida who burned the Koran. He also ran for president of Sudan twice in the past! (all while being a legal resident in the US).

But, I'm sure it is just pure coincidence that his son had this happen to him. I mean, who doesn't live in the US for a couple decades and then tries to run for president of your home nation 2 different times? And who doesn't decide to 'debate' a pastor who is hell-bent on burning the Koran, even though he apparently doesn't have any leadership standing in the Muslim community?

When police questioned the boy, WFAA reports, they said he was “passive aggressive” and didn’t give them a “reasonable answer” as to why he had brought his contraption to the school. “We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only say it was a clock. He didn’t offer any explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school,” said James McLellan of the Irving Police Department.
Do you really think this is all purely coincidental? Throwing together a clock Sunday night in 20 minutes on a whim and bringing it to school the next morning....just for the hell of it? It's not like they had an assignment to build something using a circuit board and soldering iron...

The real stumper would be what would happen if a young Muslim boy made the shape of a gun with his fingers and pretended to 'shoot' people. It's reason to suspend Caucasian students....but I wonder what reception it would get if it happened to a Muslim?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom