How much would you need?

How much would you need to RE today with two kids and no pension/medical bens?

• 500k-1M

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 1M-1.5M

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • 1.5M-2M

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 2M-2.5M

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • 2.5M-3M

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • 3M+

Votes: 41 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Salaryman, hope you don't mind that I trounced all over your post here. I think our situation and our planning is pretty close. And, I think $5mm is a great safe number to shoot for; I'm sure I'll end up working longer than needed just to get to a 'safer' number.

Just don't work too long if you can get out sooner ;-)

I voted for 2-2.5 mill. Part of that is a tax issue. If you have US or other taxes to pay, that wouldn't be enough in my view with 2 kids to educate and a comfort level that funds wouldn't run out. I don't have that problem hence a 3% withdrawal rate of USD 60,000 is net of taxes for me. That makes for a comfortable, albeit unspectacular ER. Who could really ask for anymore than that anyway :cool:

Your vote is very similar to my estimate. My current expenses are $40,000. After an addition of $12,000 for health care, the est. total is $52,000. At 20% tax rate, the required income will be $65,000. The required portfolio is $1.63 mil for 4% SWR and $2.15 mil for 3% SWR.

Salaryman, hope you don't mind that I trounced all over your post here. I think our situation and our planning is pretty close. And, I think $5mm is a great safe number to shoot for; I'm sure I'll end up working longer than needed just to get to a 'safer' number.

Just don't work too long if you can get out sooner ;-)

Webzter, it didn't even register.
I've found that it always helped to set the bar high...it's the masochist in me.

I do hope that you and all others on this post achieve their goals of ER sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom