How to Follow a Forum's Member Posts?

There's a difference between a cartoon and a movie with CGI, I think.

The former is mainly for kids. The latter's audience often includes adults.

:LOL::LOL:

I say Tom-A-toe, you say Pot-eh-toe?

:LOL::LOL:

I say Tom-A-toe, you say Pot-eh-toe?

OK, now that you have brought this up, let me ask you this.

Do you consider the tomato a fruit or a vegetable?

It’s a beverage, too potent to drink straight so I always dilute with some vodka...

It can be either, depending on your definition. Here's the rest of the story.

In 1883, a tariff was imposed on imported vegetables, but not on imported fruits. John Nix, a tomato importer at the time, sued Edward L. Hedden, Collector of the Port of New York, on the ground that tomato was a fruit and should not have been taxed.

The case of Nix v. Hedden went all the way to the US Supreme Court in 1893. The court heard all the arguments presented by experts, and read from dictionaries for the definition of vegetable and fruit.

In the end, a unanimous decree was reached by the court. I paraphrase as follows:

"Botanically the tomato is a fruit, but it is served and eaten as a vegetable and not as a fruit. What is eaten as a vegetable has to be taxed as a vegetable."

And so, the tomato can be either a fruit or a vegetable, depending on whether your definition is a botanical or a fiscal one.

Last edited:
Which reminds me of the time a few decades ago when the government decreed (for the purpose of school lunches) that ketchup was a vegetable.

IOW, it's all in how you look at it.

O, I will bite :cool:

There are several... As an example I consider pb4uski feedback very fact-based, informative and quite useful.
+1 I don't follow pb4uski around, but he/she has helped me several times with great advice.

So.... this is how a thread gets hijacked!

It does make me happy that a post, answered in the first response, triggered so much creativity and fun!

Well, you can go to another forum or Web site, where the OP asked "Can I do A?", and the next post said "No". Then the thread is done. No more need be said. They have many many short threads like that.

Some people like it that way.

So.... this is how a thread gets hijacked!

It does make me happy that a post, answered in the first response, triggered so much creativity and fun!

Well, your question was answered correctly. :). Besides, some of the other posts may not have been technically on topic, but they still were helpful.

Great! Notice my join date. You folks will be too bored...

I guess I'm a little introverted, and like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom