How to move 1600 miles

Camas Lilly

Recycles dryer sheets
This subject is probably somewhere here, but I searched and didn’t find what I was looking for.

I would like to know about how much I should figure in moving costs to pack up and move a 3 bdrm. house, 2200 sq. ft. and move 1600 miles.

The trip with no load is about a 2 1/2 day drive (1/2 day longer that it used to be but we now prefer to limit night driving ;)). We will begin moving the outdoor equipment, tractors, implements, trailers, etc. well ahead of time and on our own time.

When move time comes, there will probably be a time element in getting from one place to another and getting the house cleaned up and on the market. We will also have several pets to move, and I would anticipate that to be a 2 vehicle process, getting there as fast as possible.

The household items, I originally planned on me doing a lot of the packing, us renting a u-Haul truck and then have the movers just come in and move the furniture. I have recently had second thoughts on us doing all that moving and driving after DH admitted that the trip is getting harder to do. He makes the drive 4x per year now.

My second thought was to have PODs delivered, but that still entails us moving a lot of stuff down stairs and out to the driveway. I guess we could do that with the things I can pack and move myself and this would save some cross-country drives. We are moving to a small town and hired help is usually hard to get, so I can’t just plan on hiring the local high school kids to come over for an afternoon, although I will look into it.

With DH approaching 70, I know his heart would be in the right place, but I don’t want this to be too hard for him or even worse, for him to hurt himself. He’s had back surgery, knee replacement and one shoulder replaced.

I’d like to find some sort of middle ground of being budget minded and what makes the most sense. I keep thinking it would just be worth it for the movers to just come in pack everything and be done with it. We load up the pets and go. I know that would be very expensive and I don’t have any idea what that would cost yet, but I wanted your thoughts on what you did and your experiences. I have been moved by a company before where we didn’t have to do a thing but get there, and boy was that nice! At what point do you decide to do that?

The costs are all over the map. If you use commercial movers, I would suggest getting at least 3 estimates. You can save a little money by having them pack your stuff at the departure point, but NOT unpacking them at the destination. We always found it useful to put all the boxes in the garage and then unpack them one at a time. There are so many ways to do this, but I would let others do as much as they can within your budget constraints.

We also packed stuff that wasn't breakable ourselves. This made it easier because we could accurately describe the contents on the box and weren't running around trying to keep tabs on 2 or 3 packers. We did have them pack all the breakable stuff...like dishes, etc.

For a little comparison, we moved about 1,000 miles and had 12,500'ish pounds. The cost was $8100.00. I was pretty amazed at how accurate they were with the weight...I think they were within about 200 or 300 pounds of the estimate. Also, our moving coordinator provided us with as many free boxes as we needed...that saved a lot of money.

Last edited:
I would go online and check moving costs, many places will do an estimate that way.
Our local U-Haul offers packing and moving option, but not sure it is less.
Years ago, we used a PODS company to help DS when he moved across the country. He/we still had to pack and unpack.
There is no way DH and I could move furniture, etc on our own, and at this point in my life, I have no desire to do it.
Hiring a company would be part of my moving budget, it can be expensive, but would be worth it to me to have someone else pack, load, move, and unpack!
Good Luck to you and enjoy your new place!

I moved from SE Michigan to the Portland area. I ended up using a UPack semi trailer. I hired guys to load the trailer at one end and unloaded all the light stuff myself at the other end with a couple of guys hired to move the heavy stuff.

The way it worked was they dropped off a trailer, I had it loaded and then UPack dropped off the trailer at the other end at the new house, then picked it up when I called. Cost was about the same as renting a UHaul truck one way.

We moved about the same distance in 2011. We were in our late 40s, early 50s at that time. We packed most of our stuff into boxes ourselves. We had the movers pack the more delicate/expensive stuff because that put the risk of breakage on them. Then they moved everything for us and unpacked (did not open boxes) & moved them into the right rooms for us.

My recommendation if you can afford it - let the movers pack & move everything. Use your time & energy to de-clutter and give away anything that you think you wont need any more. Everything you take has a moving cost associated with it.

If you hurt yourself during the move, it could have immense consequences to your quality of life.

Getting estimates doesn't cost anything.

A year ago we moved 300 miles in state using Penske who has an affiliate relationship with a network of movers nationwide. These movers will do as much as you want except drive your Penske truck to your new location. We packed all contents prior to movers arriving. They loaded all content and furniture into the truck. We drove to our new location where a different affiliate showed up with their team to unload and place in home. If you go to the Penske website to get a quote, you should see a link to also get quote for each side of your move. They will pack if you want.
We have two different local crews both who showed up on time and did the job. I would use them again but this was our last move!

Step 1, Donate, Toss or if you have to sell everything you possibly can that is no longer needed or that will be upgraded after the move...to lighten the load.

Thanks for the tips. I was pleasantly surprised with uPack prices. Will look into Penske, etc. Looks like with uPack, we are looking at $5,000 - $6,000 with 2-3 helpers for 2-3 hours on each end. Nice!

Decluttering? I have been working on that for over a year now. I am probably on my second time around. Now if only DH would do the same, but then again, I'll bet he ends up moving most of that stuff himself anyway. Hey guys, why pack anything when you can just move it all still in the drawers, right!?

Had a yard sale last year, stocked up for this year, but waiting due to circumstances...

Last edited:
if we were in the same boat we'd sell almost all of the furniture save for a few special pieces as well as sell/donate most everything else...we have a very large hardcover library...wife has closets full of stuff she never wears...lots of nick-nacks, boxes of 'stuff" in the crawl space...garage full of tools and more "stuff" i *might* use or need some day. hire a mover to box, pack, load haul, move, unload, unpack, un-box and set-up. no stress.

if we were in the same boat we'd sell almost all of the furniture save for a few special pieces as well as sell/donate most everything else...we have a very large hardcover library...wife has closets full of stuff she never wears...lots of nick-nacks, boxes of 'stuff" in the crawl space...garage full of tools and more "stuff" i *might* use or need some day. hire a mover to box, pack, load haul, move, unload, unpack, un-box and set-up. no stress.
That is what we did - only moved minimal furniture, got rid of most things we wouldn't need in our new lifestyle / location. It was rewarding to get rid of a lot of stuff and actually fun buy new stuff at the new location for the new house. Being retired, we could jump on good stuff on Craigslist / Marketplace so we saved a lot both by buying used and not paying to move the old stuff.

I agree on downsizing drastically and moving as little as you can. But obviously that depends on how much sentimental stuff you have.

Before the pandemic I was planning to move 2200 miles. I had spent months downsizing stuff, and I have/had several large items earmarked for local disposal (sale) in the last days and weeks just before moving.

I could have fit the remaining stuff in the smallest UHaul truck and my car. In fact I had decided to use UBox (UHaul's PODS-like thingies but smaller) and hadn't quite decided if I'd hire people on each end to load/unload or just do it myself.

And I'll probably go back to that plan whenever I think it's safe enough to get out of my house and into an apartment complex with a 5-7-day drive in the middle, complete with all the mixing it up with people from all over the country.

I’ve only moved with movers hired by different Megas, so I don’t know about hiring it out. One benefit with a pod would be that you could reduce the contents of your house, list and sell it and then empty it. Houses are so much easier to sell when it is emptied of all clutter, but still has furniture in it.

When we moved to the Islands, we each took 2 suitcases (back in the day when 2 suitcases were 'included' in the airfare.) Full disclosure: We left a lot of stuff at our old place which we still use 3 months of most years. We bought virtually all new (well, used, actually). ALL furniture, (some) new clothes, etc. total cost was about $3K. Door to door moving of a 20 foot container was going to be about $8K (much more by now, I'm sure.)

You need to do what is right for you, but my suggestion (not recommendation) is to move as "clean" as you can. You'll save money AND declutter. VERY few things other than keepsakes (pictures, mom's jewelry, etc.) are actually worth moving IMHO. But, YMMV.

When we moved to the Islands, we each took 2 suitcases (back in the day when 2 suitcases were 'included' in the airfare.) Full disclosure: We left a lot of stuff at our old place which we still use 3 months of most years. We bought virtually all new (well, used, actually). ALL furniture, (some) new clothes, etc. total cost was about $3K. Door to door moving of a 20 foot container was going to be about $8K (much more by now, I'm sure.)

You need to do what is right for you, but my suggestion (not recommendation) is to move as "clean" as you can. You'll save money AND declutter. VERY few things other than keepsakes (pictures, mom's jewelry, etc.) are actually worth moving IMHO. But, YMMV.

You do have a point. Will keep that in mind when going through things.

We have moved across country numerous times. We pack everything ourselves and then have movers load everything and transport. Once my employer paid for us to get packed. Very nice but very expensive. Like everyone said she’d tons of stuff before you go.

Last 2 times I have moved I sold my houses "fully furnished" (except for a few sentimental items). The houses were in resort areas and the norm was to sale the house furnished. Then I tried to buy the new house "fully furnished" but on one I was not able to do that so I just bought what I needed from consignment shops. Covid may make this somewhat tricky but it is a good way to reduce the stress of moving and moving costs.

I just bought what I needed from consignment shops. Covid may make this somewhat tricky

Huh, there's an interesting thought I hadn't worked through: If I were to move during the pandemic, how would I acquire new furniture & stuff at the destination?

I'd probably see if Ikea delivers. Or just do without where I can until I feel it's safe enough to shop used. But I live alone, and I'm probably moving my foam-mattress-bed, my office chair, and a couple of folding tables. I could probably make it a long time with just those.

Huh, there's an interesting thought I hadn't worked through: If I were to move during the pandemic, how would I acquire new furniture & stuff at the destination?

I'd probably see if Ikea delivers. Or just do without where I can until I feel it's safe enough to shop used. But I live alone, and I'm probably moving my foam-mattress-bed, my office chair, and a couple of folding tables. I could probably make it a long time with just those.

Think of life in a prison cell, then take a bit more than that. Cardboard boxes make nice end tables! ;)

We used PODS. We packed the container ourselves. Tight to the brim. Took our time. We had prestaged packed boxes and some furniture items in the garage prior to the delivery of the POD. We made other arrangements for important papers, jewelry, etc.

We had it delivered to our new home a year later. We hired a team to unload it. The people at PODS recommended this firm. Worked out very well.

We used PODS. We packed the container ourselves. Tight to the brim. Took our time. We had prestaged packed boxes and some furniture items in the garage prior to the delivery of the POD. We required heated, indoor, safe storage and we able to tour the PODS warehouse prior to ordering the container.

We had it delivered to our new home a year later. We hired a team to unload it. The people at PODS recommended this firm. Worked out very well.

Good time to have a clear out. For us, it was 30 plus years downsized into an 8X16X8 container.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the comments on PODS. I wasn't aware of that option for moving.

DW and I are getting more serious about moving to a single level home (well, with basement) nearer the g-kids. We have 30 years of pack-rat stuff (not quite hoarder, I can part with most of it). Actually got serious about de-cluttering in the past week.

The idea would be to buy before we sell our home. We can afford it, and I like the idea of packing a lot of it ourselves into these PODS and have them delivered (not stored). That takes a lot of the time-stress out of it. Hire movers for the big stuff, but I think we can part with quite a bit of furniture, and just plan to buy new, or check the resale shops. Our local charity has really nice stuff for cheap, a lot of us boomers are getting rid of this stuff (or the stuff got rid of the boomer?).

Food for thought.

-ERD50

I really appreciate the comments on PODS. I wasn't aware of that option for moving.

I have used pods, for local moving. When I moved in with DH we planned to sell his and move together some months later, so I used POD's to store my stuff in between.

However, each time I hired local movers to do the major packing and heavy lifting - fill the POD - for me. Once to just literally pack it in my driveway, and then again for the reverse.

I will definitely keep in mind the suggestion upthread for a future move of any size- PURGE vs. move (and then go shopping for new stuff!)

Don't move mattresses, box springs, or any upholstered furniture. It's highly likely they are full of dust mites. I forget the numbers, but they are something like a mattress will double its weight in 8 years due to dust mites alone. If you have a gorgeous piece of furniture, then remove upholstery and ship just the wood frame.

I have experienced lots of theft over the decades by movers (mostly electronics, power tools, and expensive small kitchen appliances). When I used the PODs system, I was able to use my own padlocks and had zero theft. It was wonderful.

Don't move anything you can replace at the dollar store, such as kitchen items like cheese graters and pot holders. Moving costs are roughly $1 or more per pound.

When packing ornaments / home accessories, I asked myself "is this item sufficiently important to warrant 20 more years of dusting?"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom