How's your YTD

Anywhere between 24% and 30%...primarily in Canadian equity and Canadian small cap funds. :D

I'm up pretty nicely on my funds, although I can't give exact numbers until I take into account the distributions I've received in the last few weeks. I'll update in January.

For me this was a transition year going from the working world :p to retirement :D. I was very conservatively invested as I rolled over my 401k to an IRA and I'm up only a little over 5%.

REWahoo! said:
For me this was a transition year going from the working world :p to retirement :D.  I was very conservatively invested as I rolled over my 401k to an IRA and I'm up only a little over 5%.

ReWahoo: Don't feel bad. You're probably the only one on this thread that told the truth. ;)

Jarhead

Jarhead* said:
ReWahoo: Don't feel bad. You're probably the only one on this thread that told the truth. ;)

Jarhead

Yup, I am up 6.21%

ReWahoo: Don't feel bad. You're probably the only one on this thread that told the truth

Exactly what i was thinking. First liar doesn't have a chance. LOL

6.04%

Mostly Vanguard Total Stock Mrkt
Little Janus Venture
Little Kauffman Fund
and a little McDonalds

Jarhead* said:

Jarhead

So Jarhead did you sign up for the marines again? - I see you are no longer an Ex-Jarhead?

Without having looked at peoples portfolios in detail I think the overall better performance here compared to the US large cap market is clearly that almost ALL of us diversify more - and that paid of this year.

Just buying VTI(tot US) up about 8% ytd would have given us an advantage of about 1.5% this year as compared to the SP500. EFA(for. developed) is up 12% YTD and VWO(EM) up 32% so a simple portfolio like: 50% VTI, 25% EFA and 25% VWO would have done 15% YTD.

Naturally the fixed income portion wil then reduce the 15% YTD return some depending on % split.

Many of us in addition hold small caps/commodities/reits Etc. that has done well too.

Cheers!

Cut-Throat said:
So Jarhead did you sign up for the marines again? - I see you are no longer an Ex-Jarhead?

Cutthroat: Hope to hell they aren't that hard-up, or we're in big trouble. ;)

Somehow, my Ex-Jarhead got a "Guest" rating. (Not sure how that happened, but tried everything I knew how to do, and couldn't get it back, so I re-signed as Jarhead. Ex-Jarhead already taken. ;)

By the way, regarding your return, I did the best I could for you by selling you some of my Reits a little over a year and a half ago.
Are you still holding?

Regards, Jarhead, formerly Ex-Jarhead, and formerly Jarhead. I'm coming back as Jughead if I lose it again. ;)

Jarhead* said:
Cutthroat:  Hope to hell they aren't that hard-up, or we're in big trouble. ;)

Somehow, my Ex-Jarhead got a "Guest" rating.  (Not sure how that happened, but tried everything I knew how to do, and couldn't get it back, so I re-signed as Jarhead.  Ex-Jarhead already taken. ;)

By the way, regarding your return, I did the best I could for you by selling you some of my Reits a little over a year and a half ago. 
Are you still holding? 

Regards, Jarhead, formerly Ex-Jarhead, and formerly Jarhead.  I'm coming back as Jughead if I lose it again. ;)

Hey guys. That happened to me. Lost John Galt and had to reup
under a new moniker.
My DW signed me on as MRGALT2U without consulting me.
I kind of like it now.

JG

Jarhead* said:
Jarhead

I agree - I haven't figured out my annual return.
I wonder if others have included working and other income in their annual returns?

From my 401k web site:

How is Your Rate of Return calculated?
Normally, you analyze an investment based on its Beginning Balance, its Ending Balance, and the schedule of Cash Flows between these 2 balances. Your Rate of Return is calculated as the Rate of Return for your particular Beginning Balance, Ending Balance, and schedule of Cash Flows. A compound daily rate of return is computed by testing different rates until one is found that increases (or reduces in the case of a loss) your beginning balance and all of your cash-flows to equal your ending balance within 0.00000000001%. Then the actual account performance during the investment period is calculated.

dex said:
I wonder if others have included working and other income in their annual returns?

I didnt, but adding in my wifes income would have added another 3-3.5% to the pot.

I figured it by adding up all the dividends/interest paid out, keeping that separate as we spent or will spend it eventually, and the rest by the straight dollar/percentage appreciation of my vanguard funds.

REWahoo! said:
For me this was a transition year going from the working world :p to retirement :D.  I was very conservatively invested as I rolled over my 401k to an IRA and I'm up only a little over 5%.

I'm conservative as well. 6.5% as of this morning. My commodity fund gave me a little boost otherwise I would be around 6%. Not gonna get rich but if I could average 6-8% in the future, I won't be unhappy.

dex said:

I used MSMoney and I believe it is essentially correct because in the accounts/funds where neither additions nor withdrawals occured, the returns match what is showing up on generally accurate web sites like Vanguard.

As we saw from a previous thread on this same subject, I think it would be pretty tough to do these calculations without software if you had more than a couple of new buys and couple of sells.

And no, I did not do the Beardstown Ladies thing of counting new contributions as part of the ROI.

I think ben's post is dead on.

ben said:
Without having looked at peoples portfolios in detail I think the overall better performance here compared to the US large cap market is clearly that almost ALL of us diversify more - and that paid of this year.

Just buying VTI(tot US) up about 8% ytd would have given us an advantage of about 1.5% this year as compared to the SP500. EFA(for. developed) is up 12% YTD and VWO(EM) up 32% so a simple portfolio like: 50% VTI, 25% EFA and 25% VWO would have done 15% YTD.

Naturally the fixed income portion wil then reduce the 15% YTD return some depending on % split.

Many of us in addition hold small caps/commodities/reits Etc. that has done well too.

Cheers!

dex said:

I left out spousal income and income on borrowed CC money,
which BTW........... combined would far exceed the old Terhorstian
"$50 per day" which I keep bringing up as step down from
where we live, and a step up from "Possum living". This gets into the
old "How much is enough? or How low can you go?" debates.

JG

10.7% overall including Bonds and Debentures (but not including cash and T-bills) in Canadian based currency.  Including cash would drag down overall returns considerably due to current large cash position of about ~35% of total portfolio.

Group of Canadian energy, financial and REIT investments: ~50% gain
Group of US stocks: ~6% gain
Group of Canadian Energy Debentures: ~15%
Largest group (mutual funds*): ~8%

* Mutual funds consist of Canadian, US and International allocations and form ~75% of the portfolio.

I have found that one must check Quicken to ensure it makes the proper calculations.  The percentages are often off a bit for reasons that I have yet to determine.

For my purposes, ROI is equal to:  (Ending Balance - Starting Balance + Investment returns)/Starting Balance.  I have not sold any investments during 2005 (haven't sold an investment since late 2002).  I include investments made during the year provided they are in both starting and ending balances.

Edit: 11.7% YTD if I include re-invested dividends and dividends paid to bank account that I missed in earlier calculation.

Based on my own spreadsheets our various retirment accounts (tax deferred) have done 9.7% YTD. This was easy to figure since we are no longer making contributions. With the new house purchase and furnishings this year there have been so many transactions in our taxable accounts I don't really feel like calculating the YTD return. The dividend yield on our individual stocks has been 3.75%.

Grumpy

As you all know I am completely in Fixed income at the moment and I am up just under 5% all told, tax deferred and taxed included.

SWR

Here's how I figured out my rate of return for the past year...

On some of my older accounts, such as my old Boeing 401k and my Fidelity 401k, which have had nothing new invested over the past year (I haven't worked for Boeing since 12/31/99, and I switched companies again in April of 2003, which is when I stopped investing in the Fidelity account), I just took their current value and divided by what their values were a year ago.

For other accounts that I'm still investing in, I took their current value, and divided by the sum of the value from a year ago and what was invested in them over this past year. So, for example, if I have an account that is now worth $40,000, was worth $30,000 last year, and I invested another $5,000 over the course of 2005, then I'd put down a 14.3% rate of return... $40K / ($30K + $5K) = 1.142857....

For me it was easy. I am FIREd and already had taken some cash aside for first year spending so I have not had any (major) buy/sell transactions. So I just used the Morningstar return nos. Cheers!

Let's show how YTD calculations are troublesome.

Suppose I have on 12/31/2004 $30,000 I invest an additional $5000 on Jan 4, 2005 and now I have $40,000. Since the $5K was there almost the whole year, it's like a $35K at the start, $40K at the end, so for all practial purposes the YTD is 14.3%

But suppose I invest the $5K on 12/22/2005. In essence, the $5K wasn't in the account long enough to make a difference. It's like I have $30K invested the whole year that increased in value by $5K to $35K, then I added $5K. So my return is very close to 16.7% (35K/30K).

In essence, one needs to carefully consider the amount of time each bit of money was invested. And that's what MSMoney, PFROI, and Quicken are supposed to be good at.

Jarhead* said:
Cutthroat:
Are you still holding?

Regards, Jarhead, formerly Ex-Jarhead, and formerly Jarhead. I'm coming back as Jughead if I lose it again. ;)

Well, my records indicate that the REIT index fund was up about 10% this year. But what was strange is that Vanguard says the Fund was up 26%-27%. I can't even imagine why there would be such a huge discrepancy? :confused:

Anyone have a clue why this is?

Did you eat your dividends or re-invest them?

Back
Top Bottom