Huge cost variations in Plan G supplement insurance

Yes, that was what I should have said.

The quote engine definitely isn't 100% accurate but should provide an overview of what companies offer the best (and worst) rates in your area. I'm using it to monitor how competitive my current rate is with what other companies are offering, hoping to be able to switch to a lower cost insurer should my MoO rates increase beyond my comfort level. So far, so good.

I did a search for DH’s birth month and characteristics for AARP/United Health and got a $118 quote. That table overall was higher than I expected for our zip code.

sorry bout that........wondered about that myself in the beginning.forgot to mention that it took a number of yrs before I realized that UHC is listed under group, not individual, plans. fwiw........one data pt agreed between the CA site and the UHC AARP site but it is higher than what I am paying..........so if it is interesting,it may pay to contact UHC AARP and get a real quote.
Thanks!
UnitedHealth is now the cheapest in my zipcode, and it's the only one that is community rated. Would I not assume that the community rating would make it more expensive?

Last edited:
Someone here gave the AARP/UHC link to get a direct quote which is what I used. Sorry I don’t have it handy.

FWIW, I recently came across a website offering what the site claims to be current Medigap price information, updated daily. Since the site still shows Plan F as an option, I suspect the site needs updating, but at least some of the price info is current as it matches what DW and I are paying.

Looks like a good way to do a cost comparison without having to provide any personal information beyond zip code, age, gender and whether or not you smoke: Medicare Supplement Rates

Interesting summary but found it interesting their results did not include any options (W WASH) for State Farm. We havevPlan G--$160. Also did not include option for Plan G from Premera and UHC-AARP

Interesting summary but found it interesting their results did not include any options (W WASH) for State Farm. We havevPlan G--$160. Also did not include option for Plan G from Premera and UHC-AARP

In the Bay Area, State Farm is by far the most expensive plan available. I called the agent out of curiosity, as I have other insurance from State Farm. He said he only had one client that bought the Medicare supplement. It was probably two and a half times the cost of the AARP Plan F.

$160 a month for Plan G seems high, at least per person. I started in the low $130's with the AARP Plan F.

In your shoes, I might look at alternatives to State Farm.

In the Bay Area, State Farm is by far the most expensive plan available. I called the agent out of curiosity, as I have other insurance from State Farm. He said he only had one client that bought the Medicare supplement. It was probably two and a half times the cost of the AARP Plan F.

$160 a month for Plan G seems high, at least per person. I started in the low $130's with the AARP Plan F.

In your shoes, I might look at alternatives to State Farm.

Interesting our rates in Western Wash are higher than the Bay Area. Maybe it is the competition. Just checked the current Medigap rate table from the State Insurance Commissioner's office. https://www.insurance.wa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/medicare-supp-plans_32.pdf

State Farm still the lowest but now 169. Premera Blue:185 UHC-AARP 190;
Cigna 195; United Omaha 205. In Wash, we can change Medigap plans at any time as long as equal or less.

Interesting our rates in Western Wash are higher than the Bay Area. .........
Would it be the community rated as opposed to age rated that makes the difference?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom