hypermiling in my Echo

i've found the scanner on the vertible gt to be surprisingly accurate in estimating how far i can travel on remaining fuel. i think it reads based on my driving characteristics of the previous 200 miles or so. so if i've been playing, it won't be so accurate for the first part of a long roadtrip and visa versa.

regardless, the vertible doesn't seem to have a hypermiling setting.

I never drafted directly behind on my trip. I was just to the rear of their bumper on the left in the #1 lane while they were in the #2.

Just installed a Scangauge in my new Yaris,not sure how it gets gas mpg but it definitely gets it from some where,set up took about a minute,understanding all the gauges and what they mean may take a little longer.Although its listed at $169 group buys abound and it can be had for $149 "eg"Scangauge Group Buy In Progress - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Heres some good reading on the deviceOfficial Scangauge II Thread - Share your Data, Discuss Settings ,Problems, Findings! - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

I never drafted directly behind on my trip. I was just to the rear of their bumper on the left in the #1 lane while they were in the #2.

oh good, so you're riding in my blind spot. as if that won't piss me off. seriously, unless we are in bumper to bumper traffic, anyone, who i do not personally know, riding along side me for more than just a few moments will be assumed to be an enemy combatant and will trigger aversive action.

"when i know myself, i know others,
when i master myself
i don't need to master others."~~tao te ching, stephen mitchell translation

I saw that video, and one interesting thing I noticed is the device that lets you monitor mileage. Probably not worth it at $169, but interesting.

ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers

Anyone know how it works? From the site:

Once connected to your vehicles OBDII port, the ScanGaugeII automatically negotiates communications with your cars computer

I guess almost all cars have that port. How do you think they monitor gas usage? Is there a flow meter on the fuel line?

I dunno, but a "trip computer" is an option on many cars, and mine has one. It can divine aggregate mileage and display it. I'm guessing they use the same data.

The injectors are computer-controlled, and I expect there is a fuel pressure sensor. Perhaps they get a good idea of consumption based on that. My trip computer also gives me "Range", an estimate of how many miles until my fuel tank is empty.

I haven't attempted to verify its numbers against mpg at each fillup, so I don't know how accurate it is.

My mom has a gas mileage computer in her PT Cruiser but it doesnt come close to what the Scan Gauge can do.
Scan Gauge will give you a constant read out of all these parameters=
» Fuel Rate
» Battery Voltage
» Coolant Temperature
» Intake Air Temperature
» Engine Speed (RPM)
» Vehicle speed (MPH)
» Manifold Pressure
(not available on some vehicles)
» Engine Load
» Throttle Position
» Ignition Timing
» Open/Closed Loop

and a trip computer for:
» Maximum Speed
» Average Speed
» Maximum Coolant Temperature
» Maximum RPM
» Driving Time
» Driving Distance
» Fuel Used
» Trip Fuel Economy
» Distance to Empty
» Time to Empty
» Fuel to Empty

and finally a scan code reader:
» Reads Trouble Codes
» Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
» Clears Trouble Codes
» Turns off "Check Engine" light

» Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
» Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer

For $150 its worth it to me...

My mom has a gas mileage computer in her PT Cruiser but it doesnt come close to what the Scan Gauge can do.
Scan Gauge will give you a constant read out of all these parameters=
» Fuel Rate
» Battery Voltage
» Coolant Temperature
» Intake Air Temperature
» Engine Speed (RPM)
» Vehicle speed (MPH)
» Manifold Pressure
(not available on some vehicles)
» Engine Load
» Throttle Position
» Ignition Timing
» Open/Closed Loop

and a trip computer for:
» Maximum Speed
» Average Speed
» Maximum Coolant Temperature
» Maximum RPM
» Driving Time
» Driving Distance
» Fuel Used
» Trip Fuel Economy
» Distance to Empty
» Time to Empty
» Fuel to Empty

and finally a scan code reader:
» Reads Trouble Codes
» Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
» Clears Trouble Codes
» Turns off "Check Engine" light

» Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer

For $150 its worth it to me...

Thanks for the report. That's pretty nice. Considering you can move it from car-to-car, not such a bad price.

Took DD car in for the IL EPA check - 1/2 hour drive each way, and an hour wait (they were having problems - they closed the one near me, I never waited more than 2 minutes there).

As I'm waiting, I realized that I had disconnected her battery the other day while trouble shooting an separate problem (electric windows), and I remember that the 'NOT-READY' status might not have been cleared yet. That device would have let me know I was OK.

-ERD50

Seems I've read that premium fuel can improve the mpg slightly (assuming your car can take either), but I'm also guessing that that is only if you drive somewhat aggressively. Here's the thought process:

A) Premium fuel helps reduce knocking.
B) Knocking tends to occur under hard acceleration.
C) Modern engines will adjust the timing (reduce power) if they detect knocking. Under that condition, premium can provide better power because there is less knocking, so the engine does not cut back power.
D) If you are already driving conservatively, you probably are rarely/never pushing your car into a knocking condition with regular fuel, therefore, premium will be a waste of money.

Does that jibe with other's understanding?

-ERD50

No, actually light detonation = maximum efficiency. Hard acceleration is never good for fuel economy. Light detonation generally occurs at low engin speed/ high vehicle load condition, like pulling a hill and your car is nearing a downshift point

No, actually light detonation = maximum efficiency. Hard acceleration is never good for fuel economy. Light detonation generally occurs at low engin speed/ high vehicle load condition, like pulling a hill and your car is nearing a downshift point

I think you misunderstood my post.

Of course hard acceleration is never good for fuel economy. But, if someone DOES drive that way, and their car is rated for 87/91, they *might* get better mpg with the 91 than with 87 octane.

My assumption/question was - if you drive conservatively, you probably will not see an mpg increase with 91 vs 87 in that car.

-ERD50

Last edited:
apparently hard acceleration is the only way to rid yourself of drafters. this is why instead of hypermiling i keep 300 hp under the hood, a set of good tires on under the car and hypermilers in my dust.

apparently hard acceleration is the only way to rid yourself of drafters.

Hard deceleration will do it too - I assume the 'stang has good brakes? With the proper technique, the drafter will have a cleaning bill to deal with. That might teach them. ;)

-ERD50

is drafting more rude, dangerous or greedy? ... what does your drafting do for their gas mileage? drafting, another good, gas-saving idea.

Lazy, there was an earlier thread on hypermiling

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/anyone-overcoming-gas-prices-hypermiling-35458.html

where it was explained that drafting does not affect the mileage of the draftee (the vehicle being followed).

Personally I don't pay too much attention to the cars behind me so being drafted wouldn't bother me (and in Illinois there is a law that you are supposed to stay in the right lane except to pass, so someone would not legally be able to draft behind someone in the right lane by staying in the left lane--so I guess all the cars in the right lane are sort of drafting each other by default).

I do think it's much much harder to be the drafter in that it requires a lot of concentration to anticipate and react to what that truck or car in front of you is doing. We're doing two long distance interstate trips this summer and will try to conserve mileage by staying at the speed limit as much as possible rather than drafting.

how i drive, i wouldn't notice the difference in my gas usage even if drafting did make a difference. but really, that's not the issue. it is as you say wrong to block the passing lane. it is wrong for someone to keep matching speed with another car and to try to control their driving from your car just so you can benefit from them breaking wind. (pardon the crassness, but come up on my ass and i'll break some wind for you.) it is wrong to get people behind you upset by blocking lanes. it is wrong to be driving so close to someone that they would endanger you both should they have to swirve to avoid whatever might show up in front of them.

i realize that most people drive like driven cattle. you go to the beach, find a spot by yourself, wake up and rest of the beach is still empty but crowded next to you. and that's how a lot of them drive. but unless it is bumper to bumper, i don't drive in packs. i space myself from the other cars. if i am in a passing lane, i don't linger there; i pass. if someone wants to get by me i make way for them. i don't ride bumpers and i don't draft.

it is one thing when people drive in packs unconsciously. but when someone closes in and matches your speed consciously? outrageous. why, the only good reason i can think of drafting is shear selfishness.

i likely won't slam my breaks on you because i don't want you screwing up the person behind you. but i won't put up with drafters for as long as i notice they are there. and i am very aware of the other cars near mine.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood my post.

Of course hard acceleration is never good for fuel economy. But, if someone DOES drive that way, and their car is rated for 87/91, they *might* get better mpg with the 91 than with 87 octane.

My assumption/question was - if you drive conservatively, you probably will not see an mpg increase with 91 vs 87 in that car.

-ERD50
Sorry if I misunderstood, but the main point I was making was that light detonation is "good" in terms of fuel economy. I agree higher octane would generally not increase mpg.

Vinnie, I think the 'gentle driving' parts would work - not jamming on the brakes, not vvrroooming off the lights, etc - but drafting? on the BQE? The Cross Bronx? augh!! Suicide City!!

ga, what a thought!

ta,
mews

i realize that most people drive like driven cattle. you go to the beach, find a spot by yourself, wake up and rest of the beach is still empty but crowded next to you.

That reminds me of when i park my car in the far reaches of a parking lot to avoid door dings and when i come back there is usually some jerk parked next too me:mad:

Lazy, do you realize you can 'draft' 10 car lengths behind a semi?
I agree that those drafting at extremely short distances are a hazard. But I regularly take advantage of other vehicles air streams to improve mileage. Never at an unsafe distance, but I will stay directly behind trucks.
Not in their blind spot, and always far enough away to be safe.

But, its summer and 95 here, so I've been using the AC. Not sure if I'll break even in the MPG department.

Actually, above 45 mph, the drag from having the windows open sucks more gas than the use of the AC, so you're fine..........:)

Lazy, do you realize you can 'draft' 10 car lengths behind a semi?
I agree that those drafting at extremely short distances are a hazard. But I regularly take advantage of other vehicles air streams to improve mileage. Never at an unsafe distance, but I will stay directly behind trucks.
Not in their blind spot, and always far enough away to be safe.

understood and certainly agree that is not so intrusive in the life of another person. even still i do not ride behind trucks...

Stephanie Murray was 13 in 1998 when a metal rod broke the window of the car she was riding in on Interstate 95 in Broward County and impaled her to the seat. She arrived at the hospital with a metal rod sticking out of her chest, but survived. ''It took a year to get back into the swing of things,'' Stephanie said in a phone interview. ``We weren't able to press charges because there was nobody to press charges against. The rod was kicked up off the road.''

source: FHP In The News

You might want to try it with regular instead of "premium". Theres no benefit in terms of performance or gas mileage from using higher octane fuel unless your engine demands it.

In fact, higher octane fuel has a lower energy potential than lower octane fuel.

At least 2 of us get it.
I think a lot of people have the wrong idea that the higher octane gasoline is better quality than regular, it probably comes from the oil companies labeling their higher octane product "Premium"
It amazes me how many people are throwing their money away by putting 92 octane gas in a car that was designed to run on 87 thinking the 92 is a better gasoline,By putting a higher octane gas than is necessary you are trying to out guess what the engineers had in mind for your engine .92 and 87 octanes have different detonation characteristics quality of the gas has nothing to do with it ,run 87 when you need 92 and you get pinging or pre detonation,run 92 when you need 87 and you get carbon build up in the combustion chamber because the 92 has a cooler burn characteristic..

Last edited:
Some nice math there Kronk, thanks. I guess I'll need to find some way to factor in the added safety, increase in enjoyed scenery, engine longevity gains of driving slower, and subtraction of more pitstop times. Besides the fact that I have all the time in the world now.

I suppose if I factor in the possibility of flying, I'm really getting ripped off.
I have serious doubts about the "added safety" unless the speed limit was 60, which is unlikely between Cal and Tex. The safest thing is for all vehicles to drive the same speed (the speed limit). A car driving considerably slower causes everyone else to have to pass it. On a highway that doesn't seem like it should be congested but is, I often see the cause being a slow vehicle. Everyone starts piling up behind it and passing becomes dangerous in the crowd. So you've certainly put others at risk, and the slow car is also in danger as cars can clip it while passing.

Driving slower than the speed limit is safer than driving above it, but I don't think it's safer than driving with traffic.

And blocking the second lane while drafting doesn't seem too safe nor courteous to drivers who want to get around. I'd have been annoyed as hell if I'd have been the trucker who you were off the flank of.

Sorry for piling on, but it seems like you're patting yourself on the back for questionable driving practices.

If anyone truly doubts it, I can go find a source but I well recall some good insurance studies that showed that far more accidents are caused by a driver who is driving too slow vs drivers speeding.

Of course a lot of the accidents are from drivers behind the slow driver getting fed up and passing them, so the death toll is on someone else unless you happen to get pulled into the resulting accident...

Back
Top Bottom