I am a bore.

vicente solano said:
Thankfully for you, we are not alike: I envy your many interests, not the least among them, cycling and playing gigs with friends.....!

No, actually if someone isn't into jazz, surfing or biking, I think they'd find me pretty boring. Online, I'm less boring.

I hope you are right as I plan to enter the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency Exams. I prepared for them for several months, a few years ago, but i gave it up. Too tough, academic and the didactic material was too dry, for my taste. I am too addicted to your current popular crime fiction writers and that American English doesn´t seem to count a lot to the British English examiners! They don´t know what they are missing

Cambridge? What do they know? Those folks speak “British English”, if you know what I mean, so better watch out. Our standards are just as rigorous, but in a different way.

PS. I hope Alan doesn´t take offence.
As long as you spell like that you will do well with Cambridge and probably with Alan as well.

Oh, what an excuse.:rolleyes: Just read some books by Ruth Rendell, Elizabeth George, or other excellent British authors of crime novels. Read some Sherlock Holmes stories and you'll not only start talking like a Brit, you'll talk like a Victorian Brit :LOL:

Amethyst

. I am too addicted to your current popular crime fiction writers and that American English doesn´t seem to count a lot to the British English examiners:LOL::LOL::LOL:! .

Oh, what an excuse.:rolleyes: Just read some books by Ruth Rendell, Elizabeth George, or other excellent British authors of crime novels. Read some Sherlock Holmes stories and you'll not only start talking like a Brit, you'll talk like a Victorian Brit :LOL:

Amethyst

Amethyst: I read some of those when I started with my English almost 40 years ago. But with age I´ve become a philistine or less intellectual:blush:, and my authors run to the Pelecanos, Block, Sandford, McBain, Wambaugh, Hiaasen, Coben, Grisham, Lescroart, Parker, King, Koontz, Canell etc.
Aside from their entertaining value it provides me with what I think is current popular English, certainly less stylish.

I appreciate your advice, nonetheless:)

Sometimes boring is good. It means being content with yourself, not having to please others. Being content for a long time beats being euphoric once-in-a-while. After reading the posts, you certainly are not boring to your peers here !

Rich, LCSW

If you think you are a big bore, maybe you can have a post retirement career in the oil & gas industry :)
I will send you an application. :cool:

On the other hand, you might be happier driving a cab in New York City.

el Gitano

I sometimes typo it:). Or is it frequently? Who knows-nobody corrects me:cool:

Queue T-Al... :LOL:

This usually responds to a little drinking. There are 3 resons for drinking.(A 4th, taste, is often suggested, but is completely bogus.) Number one is to make sex more palatable, either to yourself or to your partner. #2 is to decrease discomfort in social situations such as you describe above. #3 is to get blotto to temporarily wipe away cares and anxieties. This last one is the only one that is likely to get out of hand.

So buy a nice silver flask, and off to the party you go!

Ha

Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 1862...

No, actually if someone isn't into jazz, surfing or biking, I think they'd find me pretty boring. Online, I'm less boring.

I'm what some call "a mile wide, and an inch deep"; I can converse semi-intelligently about all sorts of stuff. But I have found that my taste in music is too eclectic for nearly anyone who isn't a musician...

Sometimes boring is good. It means being content with yourself, not having to please others. Being content for a long time beats being euphoric once-in-a-while. After reading the posts, you certainly are not boring to your peers here !

Rich, LCSW

+1 Being boring isn't quite the same as being bored.

Back
Top Bottom