I am officially - a MILLIONAIRE - at age 33 and a LOT of sacrifices

Awesome at 33, The sooner you get that first one the better! Welcome to the how much is enough challenge!

Great job!
Congratulations on all of your hard work, learning, and investing.

Yes, what everyone else said - congratulations! A million at age 33 is significant, by almost any standards, especially so for someone from a modest economic family background.

I'd also echo what a few others have touched upon - namely, don't forget to have some fun along the way. You want to have some great memories when you're older. A good work ethic, which you obviously have, is a great asset, but all work and no play, as the saying goes........ Fun doesn't have to involve lying around, doing very little. It can involve working on something else, such as an interest - a pursuit that you're passionate about. It can be something that doesn't make money, but is satisfying to spend time on. I guess what I'm saying, is to give yourself time to explore and develop your interests, so that you have something engaging to do when you no longer need, or want, to work.

I'm envious. Wish I'd had a million when I was your age. I only got there this last year, at the age of 56. Way to go, RioIndy!

Welcome to the club!

Well done.

At age 33 we were still floating checks...... could do that sort of thing back in the old days.....

Back then as soon as we got a little bit ahead the engine would fall out of the car or the Roof would collapse, etc.... the struggle of life

Again, well done

1. Put you money into 3 low-cost index stock funds and sleep at night. Wake up at age 63 with over $8M.
2. Continue putting some money into retirement funds. Wake up at age 63 with $10M.
3. Start enjoying life. Read the "Blow that Dough" thread.
4. Find someone to share your life.

Congrats, great job. Now, you should enjoy life and look for a partner or girlfriend.

Well done! I think it probably means more to you being self made. Just remember it’s more about the journey than getting to the end.

Congratulations and enjoy in good health and mask up!

Thank you everyone! :angel:

I treated myself to a nice dinner this evening. And going forward I think I am no longer going to buy the cheap brand of toilet paper anymore :LOL:

The next large goal I think will be upgrading to a larger apartment. I have a good deal on my 1 bedroom, but I ultimately want to move up to at least a 2 bed+2 bath. In my HCOL city that is huge increase in my total expenses though (almost double in fact). I figure that is feasible once I hit 1.3M-1.5M (which is hopefully in less than 5 years!).

(I am not personally keen on becoming a property owner, especially not in the price range of a HCOL like this)

Also, did you register yet ? I missed that registering :LOL::facepalm::LOL:

Get that man a 2 comma button. I saw a button at the local grocery store. I snickered a little bit. If i saw a youngun with it I'd be very impressed. I think I earned the button about 4 or 5 years ago

Congrats.
ER will be in your future.

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement. You may want to live a little :)

I'm not sure what is meant by "registering" or getting a "2 comma button"? :tongue:

$1,000,000.00 has two commas and a period, unless you are European. Then it has two periods and one comma.

$1,000,000.00 has two commas and a period, unless you are European. Then it has two periods and one comma.

And you have to register with the IRS to be in the Millionaire's Club. It gets you a special seat at the auditor's table.

OP, nicely done!

I had to drag out a long lost spreadsheet to see at what age I hit that magic number...42. [Hey, I've heard somewhat that number as being important? :) ]. So wow, you beat me by 9 years - and I thought I was a good saver/LBYM.

As others mentioned, sometimes these numbers get "revisited", so don't freak out if it happens. In my case, the magic number was hit in January 2000...right before the dot com peak! In the following two years I went back and forth on that number twelve times before finally staying above (hopefully forever) in late 2001.

If I had to guess (without looking it up), I would have thought it was well before then, because even before then I thought I was well off (and compared to most in the world and USA in terms of savings and wealth I was).

As others have also mentioned, now you (hopefully) will get the benefit of your wealth working for you to make the next milestone (whatever that is) easier to acheive.

Congratulations! You should enjoy and savor this achievement. I where I got to a point that money in the bank gave me more satisfaction than the material things it could buy. That’s when I saw financial independence as achievable. The best news is I think most would say the first million is the hardest!! The compounding, snowball is real! Nothing better than your money working for you.

Congrats, you made it long before we did. Keep it up, you'll really enjoy today's sacrifices in the future.

I think many of us here just think in terms of "USD's" (certainly not all) But, everytime I see a thread like this I think back to the time I spent in Italy back in the late 90's.... When I first got there I converted $1000 usd to Italian Lire... Instant millionaire.:LOL:

It's funny to me but 20+ years later, I still remember buying a Coke at the hotel when I first arrived... I think I used a 10,000 Lire note to pay for it.

I typically kept some foreign notes and coins from my travels as souvenirs. I'll need to check if I still have any Lire...

Last edited:
I think many of us here just think in terms of "USD's" (certainly not all) But, everytime I see a thread like this I think back to the time I spent in Italy back in the late 90's.... When I first got there I converted $1000 usd to Italian Lire... Instant millionaire.:LOL:

It's funny to me but 20+ years later, I still remember buying a Coke at the hotel when I first arrived... I think I used a 10,000 Lire note to pay for it.

I typically kept some foreign notes and coins from my travels as souvenirs. I'll need to check if I still have any Lire...
I remember in 1994, I think, my Milan business trip hotel bill being over a million Lira! That was something.

Congrats! I am sure your family is enormously proud of your drive and accomplishments and grateful for your help.

I remember in 1994, I think, my Milan business trip hotel bill being over a million Lira! That was something.
Yes the numbers shocked me too whenever I'd pay for something but still, good memories. I just checked and I actually did keep a 10,000 and 1,000 Lire note... Virtually worthless now but nice souvenirs.

Back
Top Bottom