I am officially - a MILLIONAIRE - at age 33 and a LOT of sacrifices

That's impressive but what's your goal? Did you deprive yourself significantly for a decade so you could retire by 35 or do you plan to work for a long time yet? If you are not planning to retire soon then enjoy life a little.

Congratulations! You have me beat by seven years.

Lighten up a bit - let compounding do its magic while not going completely overboard. You will see that million multiply with time.

That is marvelous. A tremendous achievement. You probably beat me to that milestone by 12-15 years. I was too busy working and taking care of ailing parents and raising a family to keep track that closely.

I went back and read your first post, about working to live and not living to work. That has been my attitude my entire life. I hope you find a partner with the same goals, and enjoy what should be an adventurous life together. Many people find their life partners after they've matured a bit, anyway.

That's impressive but what's your goal? Did you deprive yourself significantly for a decade so you could retire by 35 or do you plan to work for a long time yet? If you are not planning to retire soon then enjoy life a little.
Excellent post, IMO... I never really planned to retire early myself, it just worked out that way... But I did live "a little" along the way although I did try and save where I could. Life is short....

Excellent post, IMO... I never really planned to retire early myself, it just worked out that way... But I did live "a little" along the way although I did try and save where I could. Life is short....

I couldn't wait to retire! My wife started a side business that turned out to be great for our finances, but we were open 10 hours a day 7 days a week. Out of the 18 years, we were only closed Christmas and few days for hurricanes, and my daughters wedding. Yes, one of us could take some time off during some parts of the day, but I got tired of it. About a year before we closed (I was 61), I had cut back to 1 day a week trying to get my wife to retire, but thankfully a hurricane destroyed the business and we concentrated on getting the house back in shape and closed the business. Funny how things work out.

Very impressive, Congratulations! Enjoy the journey.

I would have loved to have met a significant other early on so that this could be something that we build together, but I was not that lucky.

For whatever it's worth, my 20s sucked - I had absolutely no fun. I didn't meet my SO (now my wife) until I was 34. Almost 20 years later, we've amassed a relatively hefty nest egg together, and have enjoyed the fruits of our labor together. Don't regret what was or what could have been. Look forward to the rest of your life.

Congratulations. Now, like a lot of people have said...go out and have some fun. You don't necessarily need to spend a bunch of money to have some fun, but even if you spend a few hundred on something, so what? Life is more than money.
Time _ money.gif

For those who suggested the OP to find a partner. I sort of understand the desire of having someone to share life with. But is it that urgent? I would say keep saving and investing with a new goal. For example: get enough to buy a house with cash and still have 1m net worth excluding the real state.
I would keep accumulating wealth until 40 to have over 2million+ net worth and by then start to slow down.

Congrats, OP. I remember reaching that wonderful milestone in my 40s. My wife and I started to get serious about FIRE when I was 37, so it was a welcome event! I remember checking our accounts early in the morning because we were riding very close to the $1M mark for a week or so, and voila, there it was. I woke up my wife and congratulated her on her new status as a millionaire! The memory still warms my heart!

We saved like mad people once we started to get serious. We cut every conceivable expense that we could with the idea of "reducing the cost of our infrastructure." It really helped to motivate us. I would, for example, calculate the value in the future of forgoing something like one trip to a café for two coffees. Then, we would use that rubric to forestall some (not all) desires to spend on such elective things.

We also lived in a city and went car free, using public transportation and renting a vehicle when we needed one. Finally, we treated "the plan" for eventual early retirement as sacred and always kept it front of mind. We joke that it had become a third person in our marriage :) That said, we allowed ourselves a reasonable amount of travel, seeking experiences as the only truly valuable and sustaining possessions.

We achieved our goals before age 60 and it was fun to celebrate our second million in those years leading up to FIRE.

Best of luck on your road to number 2!

-BB

Last edited:
Very cool. And you know what? The second million is easier.

I just needed to share this, as I am feeling quite emotional :(

I finally did it. My net worth reached 1 Million. The magic symbolic number. $1,003,000 to be precise. As of this morning, at the age of 33, I am, officially, a MILLIONAIRE! :clap:

Congratulations!!!
It's a wonderful feeling. I reached Millionaire status this year as well. Hopefully, like others here have mentioned, the first million is the hardest and it gets easier from here.
Again, great job! :dance:

Congrats.
I like to joke that I could barely tie my shoes when I was 18 and didn't even start saving towards ER until age 31 but still managed to semi retire at 48 and fully at 54.
You are way ahead and I would do as others have mentioned and start living a little and let the magic of compounding work.
Not suggesting being foolhardy just to enjoy the ride as much as the destination.:dance:

Congratulations. Similar age for my first million. Wish you continued prosperity...add another digit soon.

Congrats, that's a great accomplishment at such a young age. Keep up with the frugality and many more are surely to come.

Congratulations, job well done! What was your biggest sacrifice?

Now is the time to find a wife because as you get older it gets MUCH tougher.

Last edited:
I just needed to share this, as I am feeling quite emotional :(

I finally did it. My net worth reached 1 Million. The magic symbolic number. $1,003,000 to be precise. As of this morning, at the age of 33, I am, officially, a MILLIONAIRE! :clap:

It took SO much work, and SO many sacrifices to get here. Honestly a lot more sacrifice than I could ever have imagined :(. I gave up almost the entirety of my 20's throwing everything at my career while living extremely cheaply.

And I did this entirely on my own. I am actually worth more than both my parents and my siblings combined, and that's considering that I've made hundreds of thousands for them (I manage the family's finances and invest for them).

I come from a lower-middle class family. I have been financially entirely on my own since I was 18 and paid for my own university. (I would have loved to have met a significant other early on so that this could be something that we build together, but I was not that lucky.)

I could actually have reached it years earlier but had several setbacks along the way. Even in the last few months I came to within 25K of that magic number on 3 serapate occasions.

I was just seeing that my first post in this forum was 9 years ago when I had made my first 100K :blink:: https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...-to-live-instead-of-living-to-work-58848.html

This forum has been a nice oasis for people who share the same FIRE mentality and aspirations. Thank you all :blush::angel:

Congrats. How did you accomplish this goal so fast?

Back
Top Bottom