I broke my rule I drove to walk..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First let me set the stage: I just had a pricey thorough physical and am doing well but still need to get my sugar lower. The doctor agreed get an hour of exercise 6 days a week. I was doing 40 minutes every day and it just isn’t enough. I am retired so an hour is fine. I was walking a few days ago and bam I felt something let go in my back of my left leg. I limped home in pain and took 3 days off.. then back on the bike in the basement for 40 minutes. Then next day I started to go for a walk and that left leg is still a little tender. I am thinking about those hills in my neighborhood I turn around jump in my trusty red RAV4 and drive 5 minutes to a pretty flat .7 mile walking trail. A do a couple loops and get 45 minutes in ... (ill build up to 60 minutes over the net few days). By the by it is 31 degrees with a slight breeze and the trail that is busy in the good weather is nearly empty.

I hate driving to walk but it is a change of pace and at least I got it in. Im thinking its no different than driving to a great hiking spot. Oh I should say Im grateful I can walk 40 minutes Ive got 2 total knee replacements...

Variety makes the exercise more interesting. I sometimes drive to walk and often drive to ride my bike. No need to justify it.

I drive to a walk/hike frequently, it gets boring doing the same route all the time.

The important thing is to find a way to do it, rather than a reason not to.

keep it going.

I live on a golf course. I walk with the mutt early on the course but some days I drive to a pretty trail for a little variety. Who wants to do the same thing all the time?

I drive to hike all the time. In town and gym walking isn't for me. I do walk in a town but don't like to but in mid winter it is convenient

I do it frequently for bike rides and assume many people do it for hikes.

I drive 4 times a week to hiking trailheads. Sometimes a 2 to 3 hour drive. I do walk from our place on occasion. But walking in a neighborhood is not nearly as exciting as hiking in the boondocks.

Misread the title, thought it said drove to W**k! I was expecting an interesting ray story.....

Anyway, often I drive to local adult community center to exercise, they have a lovely room with brand new equipment, only $50 per year. Great on cold or rainy days when I don't walk outside.

I drive 4 times a week to hiking trailheads. Sometimes a 2 to 3 hour drive. I do walk from our place on occasion. But walking in a neighborhood is not nearly as exciting as hiking in the boondocks.

If I couldn't drive to birding locations, I'd have a pretty short list (although the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend added a new bird to my backyard list). It's much more fun if you are part of the natural world around you. What trees are in your area? Birds? Rocks? (PA has a reputation for interesting rocks). What's up with spring? Are the red-winged blackbirds singing yet in your area?

Hiking is not the same as walking, just as a few cups of flour are not the same as a chocolate cake. Walking is part of the experience, but not THE experience.

I trust you do these drives in a Prius not a Hummer. Right? :D

Driving to hike/bike is OK in my opinion. My pet peeve is driving when walking/biking can be the mode of transport. For example, I bike to the Y because it is 2 miles from home. I do not think about my bike ride as exercise. It is part of my transportation. If the exercise point is unreasonably too far (rule of thumb is more than 5 miles) then the car is the right tool.

I trust you do these drives in a Prius not a Hummer. Right? :D

Funny you bring this up. We’re getting a lot of rain in Arizona. Quite a few waterfall locations to hike to for photo ops. But none are within several miles of a paved road. I’m trying to talk DW into trading her Acura for a Jeep.

Treadmill

If I didn't have my treadmill, I wouldn't get exercise! Wandering around in the natural world, starting and stopping, standing around, doesn't really make for exercise, although you are on your feet and moving for hours and hours. There are simply too many things to see and hear outdoors to pass by.

If I couldn't drive to birding locations, I'd have a pretty short list (although the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend added a new bird to my backyard list). It's much more fun if you are part of the natural world around you. What trees are in your area? Birds? Rocks? (PA has a reputation for interesting rocks). What's up with spring? Are the red-winged blackbirds singing yet in your area?

Currently in Arizona. Lots of rocks. Not many trees in the desert, but lots of Saguaro cactus. Lots of quail, cactus wrens, and have seen roadrunners and a mother owl on her nest in a cactus yesterday.

My main hiking spot in Illinois is loaded with red-winged blackbirds. I’ll see enough of them when I get back.

Currently in Arizona. Lots of rocks. Not many trees in the desert, but lots of Saguaro cactus. Lots of quail, cactus wrens, and have seen roadrunners and a mother owl on her nest in a cactus yesterday.

My main hiking spot in Illinois is loaded with red-winged blackbirds. I’ll see enough of them when I get back.

You are in rarity territory right now. I'm counting 5 Code 4 or 5 rarities in AZ on the daily alert from the American Birding Association.

But the non-rare bird I'd love to hear right now is Canyon wren. The voice of the western canyons! This recording is too pure - it really must be heard echoing from canyon walls:https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/canwre/introduction

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to drive somewhere if it gives you a much nicer walk. Especially if you can enjoy a longer walk!

Variety really helps with regular exercise. I usually do different things every week - I have an indoor rower, I cycle some days, I take two yoga classes a week, I have several routes I can walk from my house, I can do aerobics/free weights at home, there is a pool a few blocks away for laps. So I try to vary it day to day.

If it’s close I would cycle there instead of drive.

Back
Top Bottom