I got a new prospective on the antiwork movement

There were a lot of extra people, many with 20, 30 or more years of service. We young go-getters would comment about the number of people on our floor who were 'retired at full pay'. All they had to do was show up for 7.5 hours each day, take a long lunch, push a few papers around, then go home. They all easily earned four times what I was making and got three times the paid vacation. Many a young go-getter saw this and it ruined their work ethic for decades. :D

I worked for an old school, tech industry megacorp company post college and it was the same experience. The older workers were basically retired on the job. Many had golden handcuffs, hadn't learned anything new in years and spent a big part of the day in the cafeteria.

Last edited:
Quiet quitting sounds like training for your next promotion. That of being on the list for the next round of downsizing. Not that that is a bad thing if you make it.

Ah, reminds me of those on "ROAD" status in the military....usually, the last 6-18 months prior to retirement --> Retired on Active Duty. ;)

100 days before enlistment ended, I bought a one meter ruler. Every day sawed of one centimeter segment. Major activity for each day, besides spit shining jump boots.

100 days before enlistment ended, I bought a one meter ruler. Every day sawed of one centimeter segment. Major activity for each day, besides spit shining jump boots.

In the Navy, people would get a beaded chain just like the one for your dog-tags. Every morning, they would snip off one of the beads. They called it a "short timer's chain". When the chain was gone, so were they.

Back
Top Bottom