I have no idea where to retire!

We both lived in CO since we were little. Retired 2 yrs ago, bought a nice motorhome and traveled to new places. Coming home through Tucson, we fell in love with a beautiful 55+ community in Sahuarita and in 3 days we were building a home. So many nice people and endless things to do. Traveling in motorhome now to visit CO friends and family. We took a chance and don't regret it. Our home has appreciated about 30% in year and a half. We have great friends in both places. Quite an adventure for us.

Consider paradise here in the Bay of Banderas, we are just north 1/2 hr from the Puerto Vallarta airport. Mountains, Ocean, Fishing, Sailing, Golf, Tennis, Pickle Ball, you name it and great restaurants, cafes and live music. We have been here 15 years and still pinch ourselves. Easy drive to CA when we want to visit family and friends or a quick flight.

Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

What are the main options for retiring locations. I can think of:

a) Island living i.e. Hawaii
b) Big City living i.e. DC
c) Off-the-grid i.e. a shack in Montana
d) Europe
e) Beach-side i.e. Florida

Or maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong! Help me out!

I don't have family in the US so am not tied to any one area.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

JJ you make too much sense. You may soon be on my list of dangerous radicals who infest this site. :D

There are 8 million stories in the FIRE community. THIS has been ONE of them.:popcorn:

I am waiting for our Texas tourism adviser to chime in!!!!

I think he has been studying the tactics of Emmet Watson. This old curmudgeon was the found of Lesser Seattle. Alas, he failed. Perhaps others can learn from his mistakes.

Last edited:
I am retired military originally from Los Angeles. I spent about 1/3 of my longish career in Europe and Central Asia plus some heavy time in places like Nicaragua and Peru. I can personally live anywhere and be happy. My wife is Russian with a fairly extensive family but didn't want to retire to Russia. She was living in the US when I met her and she has dual citizenship and a TS clearance as she was the web administrator for the FAA. We both are on our third marriages and we are as perfect a couple as you can ever hope for. We are Jewish as well but didn't want to retire in Israel which is another possibility and a nice place to be (even considering the unrest there) and we both have quite a few family members there including my son who lives as a high tech guy in Beersheva. My daughter lives in NYC (a video producer/Director) and we were living in DC (NoVA) and had 4 houses which we sold off. Financially, we are fine and could afford to live anywhere.

So, Europe seemed to be the best choice and we had originally decided on France on the Swiss border near the Alps on Lake Geneva. But, the French are very tough to get along with and it was a bit pricey. Northern Italy would be my personal choice but taxes are impossible and it is a high-cost area. That left Eastern Europe as western Europe is insanely expensive. We flew out to Europe twice and drove extensively and visited several interesting places. We headed to Hungary as Brits think it is a great place. My wife hated Spain and Portugal and I loved Slovenia and Croatia. I even loved Bosnia and Montenegro. But she fell in love with Hungary as it has almost perfect weather and "normal" lifestyles. They aren't even close to "woke" here and when we came were at a mid-1970's technological level. We bought two fantastic, adjoining hoses plus a third vacant lot in conjunction with her sister who lives in Moscow. They use their house several weeks a year. We are in a destination resort that is considered the Beverly Hills of Hungary and it is a great place to live. It has an enormous influx of tourists in the summer season but the other 9 months of the year it is quiet and lovely. Best of all, no property tax and no death tax. Costs are relatively low violent crime absent and property crime relatively low. There are no ethnicities at all and we are the minority here. They love Americans (which is more or less common in Europe). I have found a community of retired military pilots (Soviet-Hungarian) who live in the area and most of whom are well-to-do. There was a huge Soviet AFB in the nearby city of Veszprem so several hundred pilots live here. That comes in handy for solving small issues in life that require a thorough knowledge of the Hungarian language. We hired a gardener who is a retired pilot and is my best friend here along with all his friends. He is now our "property manager" and we pay him roughly $1,000 a month but he does everything including electricity, plumbing, painting, etc. If he can't do something he knows someone who can. I bought a smallish yacht which I sail every day that is good weather. We are surrounded by National parks and forests and much of the region is devoted to wine which is excellent. Food is cheap and by American standards everything is Organic. There are no GMO foods permitted inside Hungary as well and pesticide use is limited to short-acting ones. All animals are raised free-range so food quality is amazingly good.

We have been here 12 years now and I don't regret it at all. Is it perfect? There are no perfect places but this has met all of our expectations. The best part is it is in the exact geographical center of Europe and Vienna or Budapest are a 2 hours drive away. Venice and Munich are 5 hours drive away. The Alps are 3 hours to excellent Austrian skiing. There is a small resort 30 km away here that is cheap ($10 for a 4-hour pass) and has 3 black diamond slopes I like it when I want to get in some quick snowboarding. If I want more I drive the 200 km to the Alps. If I am willing to spend the night I go furtehr. Isreal is cheap to fly to and visit relatives as is Moscow (although it is hard for me as being an American it isn't easy to get a visa). We have traveled a lot further afield to China and Thailand and the flights are not bad and we connect through Germany or Moscow.

Medical is cheap and easy to get here as well. W pay cash and our costs rarely exceed $1,000 a year including some major health problems that have occurred. I have zero illnesses (although I tend to have bad accidents as I am very active) but my wife has some cardiac problems. Generally, though we both look 20 years younger than we are and being in our early 70's we are living well and generally very healthy and fit. I speak German and bad Russian and very bad Hungarian although I am working on the latter. I also speak a bit of Chinese and Japanese (I have a Black belt in Kendo). Outside of Budapest, you won't see any Americans (or Canadians) at all.

A lot of Americans do the Viking Tours Danube Cruise (or similar) that starts/ends in Budapest so you see a ton at the airport. But, in general very few ever leave the city (or even the tour) which is too bad as the rest of the country has a lot of fantastic little gems to visit including our city.

Romania is close as well but being an American colony (literally) it is being kept at a low-level economically as are all the other American colonies including Ukraine and Kosovo. These 3 are in the bottom 10 of Europe and will stay that way under American leadership and only serve a purpose to irritate Russia. The countries that resist American hegemony (like Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Czech Republic) are doing really well relative to the ones trying to please the US like the Baltics and Poland. So political alliances are important here and something to consider. Hungary built a double fence line around the entire country to prevent illegal immigrants from coming through after Merkel opened up the flood gates. Very few stayed in Hungary that has a digital wall that bans illegals from getting any service whatsoever without an EU Identity card AND visa. You see a few in Budapest but life is harsh for them as Hungarians have an absolute hatred for Muslims because of the 180-year Turkish occupation and genocide that killed half a million Hungarians and resulted in Hungary being swallowed up by the Austrian Empire. Lots of history here! Lots of interesting battlefields, cemeteries, etc.

Hungary also revers its writers, composers, musicians, poets, and scientists. Every street is named after one or the other plus a smattering of generals and political leaders. They have a long list of Nobel laureates. So, it is a proud and interesting culture. The children are all amazingly extremely well behaved as well which is very bizarre to observe. It is safe to let them walk about in the streets without supervision. No drug use either as well. Here grandmas serve as the informal neighborhood watch and see everything and deal with anything immediately. You very rarely see any police at all. When you do they are nice and pleasant and I always speak to them as most Hungarians here in our city are well aware of us being Americans. We stand out like a sore thumb here. But, I have never experienced any difficulties at all. I used to get stopped on the lake quite a bit (paperwork or safety checks) but I know all the police now so if I get stopped it is to chat or share a drink. Mostly I wave to them as I sail by while they are harassing someone else for documents or safety. We have no Coast Guard equivalent and all police are national with no local police forces at all. Each town has its force but it is comprised of national police but they tend to stay around. The lake is enormous and has three police stations for rescue and policing. Our local one is across the other side of the lake but they patrol using fast RIBs.

So, Europe seemed to be the best choice and we had originally decided on France on the Swiss border near the Alps on Lake Geneva. But, the French are very tough to get along with and it was a bit pricey. Northern Italy would be my personal choice but taxes are impossible and it is a high-cost area. That left Eastern Europe as western Europe is insanely expensive. We flew out to Europe twice and drove extensively and visited several interesting places. We headed to Hungary as Brits think it is a great place. My wife hated Spain and Portugal and I loved Slovenia and Croatia. I even loved Bosnia and Montenegro. But she fell in love with Hungary as it has almost perfect weather and "normal" lifestyles. They aren't even close to "woke" here and when we came were at a mid-1970's technological level. We bought two fantastic, adjoining hoses plus a third vacant lot in conjunction with her sister who lives in Moscow. They use their house several weeks a year. We are in a destination resort that is considered the Beverly Hills of Hungary and it is a great place to live. It has an enormous influx of tourists in the summer season but the other 9 months of the year it is quiet and lovely. Best of all, no property tax and no death tax. Costs are relatively low violent crime absent and property crime relatively low. There are no ethnicities at all and we are the minority here. They love Americans (which is more or less common in Europe). I have found a community of retired military pilots (Soviet-Hungarian) who live in the area and most of whom are well-to-do. .

Thanks for the very thorough "travel documentary" about Hungary! Very interesting! :cool:

I am retired military originally from Los Angeles. I spent about 1/3 of my longish career in Europe and Central Asia plus some heavy time in places like Nicaragua and Peru. I can personally live anywhere and be happy. My wife is Russian with a fairly extensive family but didn't want to retire to Russia. She was living in the US when I met her and she has dual citizenship and a TS clearance as she was the web administrator for the FAA. We both are on our third marriages and we are as perfect a couple as you can ever hope for. We are Jewish as well but didn't want to retire in Israel which is another possibility and a nice place to be (even considering the unrest there) and we both have quite a few family members there including my son who lives as a high tech guy in Beersheva. My daughter lives in NYC (a video producer/Director) and we were living in DC (NoVA) and had 4 houses which we sold off. Financially, we are fine and could afford to live anywhere.

So, Europe seemed to be the best choice and we had originally decided on France on the Swiss border near the Alps on Lake Geneva. But, the French are very tough to get along with and it was a bit pricey. Northern Italy would be my personal choice but taxes are impossible and it is a high-cost area. That left Eastern Europe as western Europe is insanely expensive. We flew out to Europe twice and drove extensively and visited several interesting places. We headed to Hungary as Brits think it is a great place. My wife hated Spain and Portugal and I loved Slovenia and Croatia. I even loved Bosnia and Montenegro. But she fell in love with Hungary as it has almost perfect weather and "normal" lifestyles. They aren't even close to "woke" here and when we came were at a mid-1970's technological level. We bought two fantastic, adjoining hoses plus a third vacant lot in conjunction with her sister who lives in Moscow. They use their house several weeks a year. We are in a destination resort that is considered the Beverly Hills of Hungary and it is a great place to live. It has an enormous influx of tourists in the summer season but the other 9 months of the year it is quiet and lovely. Best of all, no property tax and no death tax. Costs are relatively low violent crime absent and property crime relatively low. There are no ethnicities at all and we are the minority here. They love Americans (which is more or less common in Europe). I have found a community of retired military pilots (Soviet-Hungarian) who live in the area and most of whom are well-to-do. There was a huge Soviet AFB in the nearby city of Veszprem so several hundred pilots live here. That comes in handy for solving small issues in life that require a thorough knowledge of the Hungarian language. We hired a gardener who is a retired pilot and is my best friend here along with all his friends. He is now our "property manager" and we pay him roughly $1,000 a month but he does everything including electricity, plumbing, painting, etc. If he can't do something he knows someone who can. I bought a smallish yacht which I sail every day that is good weather. We are surrounded by National parks and forests and much of the region is devoted to wine which is excellent. Food is cheap and by American standards everything is Organic. There are no GMO foods permitted inside Hungary as well and pesticide use is limited to short-acting ones. All animals are raised free-range so food quality is amazingly good.

We have been here 12 years now and I don't regret it at all. Is it perfect? There are no perfect places but this has met all of our expectations. The best part is it is in the exact geographical center of Europe and Vienna or Budapest are a 2 hours drive away. Venice and Munich are 5 hours drive away. The Alps are 3 hours to excellent Austrian skiing. There is a small resort 30 km away here that is cheap ($10 for a 4-hour pass) and has 3 black diamond slopes I like it when I want to get in some quick snowboarding. If I want more I drive the 200 km to the Alps. If I am willing to spend the night I go furtehr. Isreal is cheap to fly to and visit relatives as is Moscow (although it is hard for me as being an American it isn't easy to get a visa). We have traveled a lot further afield to China and Thailand and the flights are not bad and we connect through Germany or Moscow.

Medical is cheap and easy to get here as well. W pay cash and our costs rarely exceed $1,000 a year including some major health problems that have occurred. I have zero illnesses (although I tend to have bad accidents as I am very active) but my wife has some cardiac problems. Generally, though we both look 20 years younger than we are and being in our early 70's we are living well and generally very healthy and fit. I speak German and bad Russian and very bad Hungarian although I am working on the latter. I also speak a bit of Chinese and Japanese (I have a Black belt in Kendo). Outside of Budapest, you won't see any Americans (or Canadians) at all.

A lot of Americans do the Viking Tours Danube Cruise (or similar) that starts/ends in Budapest so you see a ton at the airport. But, in general very few ever leave the city (or even the tour) which is too bad as the rest of the country has a lot of fantastic little gems to visit including our city.

Romania is close as well but being an American colony (literally) it is being kept at a low-level economically as are all the other American colonies including Ukraine and Kosovo. These 3 are in the bottom 10 of Europe and will stay that way under American leadership and only serve a purpose to irritate Russia. The countries that resist American hegemony (like Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Czech Republic) are doing really well relative to the ones trying to please the US like the Baltics and Poland. So political alliances are important here and something to consider. Hungary built a double fence line around the entire country to prevent illegal immigrants from coming through after Merkel opened up the flood gates. Very few stayed in Hungary that has a digital wall that bans illegals from getting any service whatsoever without an EU Identity card AND visa. You see a few in Budapest but life is harsh for them as Hungarians have an absolute hatred for Muslims because of the 180-year Turkish occupation and genocide that killed half a million Hungarians and resulted in Hungary being swallowed up by the Austrian Empire. Lots of history here! Lots of interesting battlefields, cemeteries, etc.

Hungary also revers its writers, composers, musicians, poets, and scientists. Every street is named after one or the other plus a smattering of generals and political leaders. They have a long list of Nobel laureates. So, it is a proud and interesting culture. The children are all amazingly extremely well behaved as well which is very bizarre to observe. It is safe to let them walk about in the streets without supervision. No drug use either as well. Here grandmas serve as the informal neighborhood watch and see everything and deal with anything immediately. You very rarely see any police at all. When you do they are nice and pleasant and I always speak to them as most Hungarians here in our city are well aware of us being Americans. We stand out like a sore thumb here. But, I have never experienced any difficulties at all. I used to get stopped on the lake quite a bit (paperwork or safety checks) but I know all the police now so if I get stopped it is to chat or share a drink. Mostly I wave to them as I sail by while they are harassing someone else for documents or safety. We have no Coast Guard equivalent and all police are national with no local police forces at all. Each town has its force but it is comprised of national police but they tend to stay around. The lake is enormous and has three police stations for rescue and policing. Our local one is across the other side of the lake but they patrol using fast RIBs.
Great write up!

I wish to go up into the mountains somewhere in the northeast, closer to nature, lots of land, nice view, privacy, far away from the incessant noise and annoying people.

+1
We should consider Walden Pond...

Last edited:
Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

d) Europe

I don't have family in the US so am not tied to any one area.

I had a similar list but I rejected them for the following reasons:
Hawaii was too hot and humid.
Big Cities had too much crime.
Off the grid does not appeal to me since I like to socialize.
Europe is a nice place to visit but not to live.
Florida is even more humid than Hawaii.
I discovered this by renting a house for a month via airbnb. You do not know the place unless you live there. California is number 1 due to the dry heat in the summer and mild winters plus recreational sports. I lived in California for most of my life and you really do not appreciate it until you leave. I am considering moving to china when I hit 80 or 85 because health care is 1/5 the cost in California and public transportation is superior when you are too old to drive. Elderly people are respected in china due to their culture.

I loved the share about Hungary, as well as other parts of Eastern Europe. I’ve been to the Piedmont region of Italy several times and think it would be a lovely place to live. I did not know that about taxes. Real estate prices are reasonable and incredible food was very cheap.

My share: I was born in the SF East bay and have lived in the east bay, the peninsula, and the South Bay. 4 years in Los Angeles. I moved away from a pressure cooker medical practice when I was 39, all the way to Pennsylvania.

My only regret was that we didn’t keep our Sunnyvale townhouse and rent it out. It would have become a cash cow and a place to move back to if we chose. But at the time we needed the cash for our house here in PA.

The school situation in California was a huge problem in the 90s, and our son with an improperly diagnosed learning disability was getting school phobia. Moving to central PA gave us many things, including one of the best school districts in the state, and many eastern adventures to explore. It also gave our only son a chance at a happy life.

Every place has its pluses and minuses. Coastal California, frankly the entire west coast has the best weather on the planet. The complete lack of humidity, being physically comfortable most of the time, with the exception of the welcome winter rains, is one of the appeals. The varied terrain within the state. The fires of recent years have been a huge problem.

When I was growing up, we mostly camped on vacation. Sometimes it was a weekend getaway to Brannan Island on the delta, or on a lake in the Sierra foothills. I’ve camped in the desert in November, King’s Canyon, Jedediah Smith Redwoods outside of Crescent City, Lassen Park, and plenty of places in Oregon and Washington too.

My dad’s side of the family settled in California between 1850 and 1875, and bought up lots of prime farmland around 1908. My mom’s parents came from different parts of Russians children (Siberia and Georgia) but settled in San Francisco in the same small religious community. Census records from 1930 put about 15 people under one roof, since my grandmother had 10 siblings, and she and her husband, with 3 children, lived in the other half of a duplex which her parents had with all those other children and young adults.

Most of my generation have stayed in the Bay Area; one cousin found his Nirvana in Tennessee and my sister moved to Washington State. Another cousin FIRED at age 60 with a teacher’s pension, and probably a large inheritance, married, and moved to Australia.

I’m happy where I am, but I could be happy back on the west coast too, and also wouldn’t mind Hawaii. I’m not sure I would like the south, the desert, or the Midwest as much.

One of my new found friends here, who went into medicine in his his late 40s after a career of fishing in coastal Washington and papaya farming in Hawaii, moved back to Hawaii for his brief medical career. He met his younger husband in Hawaii and they moved back to central PA.

Another couple found their forever home in New Hampshire.

I think it takes awhile to find one’s social niche wherever you settle. People with like-minded interests and activities that bring you joy. For some, being near extended family, for others, being away from extended family!

One of things I like about this forum is people sharing their thoughts and experiences, which give others food for thought for their own lives.

We did that with our home in Maine, rented it out on a 5 year lease with the ability to use it one month each summer. The lease was up yesterday! So glad we kept it while we wandered around, because now that we are older we realize we cannot replace the relationships of 35 years we have there and we also know in our hearts that connection with friends and community is our top priority. The kids live all over the country and we can visit them, but our buds are part of our day to day joy with the time we have remaining. We will likely rent the house out again, but for winters only for less $ of course as we have a wonderful community of amigos in Mexico also. It’s been a journey figuring all of this out, enjoy it!:cool:

Whatever you decide to try, keep your property in CA and rent it out. Much harder to return to CA if you change your mind after moving away and selling your property.

Three things keep us in CA - close friends, great weather, and scenic beauty. We have thought about moving many times due to the HCOL and political environment, but can’t imagine starting all over with our social network at this point in our lives. We don’t have children so friends are very important to us.

Well OP we are 6 days and 5 pages in,were you serious when you posted this? Because you haven't come back with anything personal or any questions.

We have been living in Mexico for the very reasons you listed here. Excellent health care at about 20% of the USA costs, walkable town, great climate most of the year, community, culture, mountains and ocean. What I do like about living in Mexico over China is many here and for sure all of the doctors speak English, although my Spanish is acceptable, and we are able to drive to CA in 2 days to visit family. I have been able to witness first hand the care my 89 year old Mother has received here in the past 3 years and it’s incredible, they really do value the elderly and unlike what I have read about China, the Mexican culture is very laid back which counts a lot for me as I age. At some point I will post a thread re: Moving Mom to Mexico when she was 86 as I tracked her budget before and since and I think many would find it fascinating. She has an amazing life here!

I had a similar list but I rejected them for the following reasons:
Hawaii was too hot and humid.
Big Cities had too much crime.
Off the grid does not appeal to me since I like to socialize.
Europe is a nice place to visit but not to live.
Florida is even more humid than Hawaii.
I discovered this by renting a house for a month via airbnb. You do not know the place unless you live there. California is number 1 due to the dry heat in the summer and mild winters plus recreational sports. I lived in California for most of my life and you really do not appreciate it until you leave. I am considering moving to china when I hit 80 or 85 because health care is 1/5 the cost in California and public transportation is superior when you are too old to drive. Elderly people are respected in china due to their culture.

That has happened to Colorado big time!
No kidding. I have been looking to buy a cabin in south CO for over 5 years mainly as an investment. I hate cold. But I have been left waiting. Some day!

And yes, Texas is not for everyone. Think long and hard before venturing out of the metros. We are in east Texas. You will still be greeted by snakes, mosquitos and sun no matter where you are.

But seriously, OP really wants to move then lock and pack your old place and start a long cross county (or world) tour staying a month at each place. I would do another trip to the short listed places in both extreme seasons: winter and summer. What feels nice in spring or fall may be an illusion. Did I say I hate cold?

Also investigate your calling. What do you do in your free time? What you always thought of doing in your free time? List what you hate (like cold) or like (like water). How is your social personality (can make new friends easily, spend time with people or alone, etc.)? My calling has always been land with warm weather where I can do gardening and have space for my crazy hobbies.

Last edited:
d) Europe

You’re thinking about it all wrong - there are INFINITE options. If these are all you can think of, you need to experience more, IMHO.
A) island living - can also be had in temperate climates and on large freshwater lakes both in the US mainland and also internationally
B) big cities aren’t the only urban choice - think about medium and smaller cities also
C) off the grid does exist in pretty much every US state, but for $1mm you can get really comfortable with all the mid cons in some gorgeous areas. And Montana has a LOT more to offer than shacks.
D) Europe - sure, but there are other continents and hundreds of countries as options.
E) beaches also aren’t limited to FL, nor are they limited to saltwater. Check out the gorgeous sandy beaches on the Great Lakes, or the fabulous rocky shorelines of Maine or Michigan.
F) RV full time - home is wherever you happen to be (we did this for a couple of years)
G) multiple homes - one south / one north; one rural / one city; choices are endless

As others have said, you really need to figure out what you like and also what you dislike about areas, then go from there. Visit before buying.

<mod note> A number of posts have gone off topic and into politics, race and other stereotypical cultural issues. They’ve all been removed.

This is an interesting discussion with many helpful posts. Let’s please keep it going by avoiding politics and related issues.

After 44 year in one spot (working), left midwest and moved to Goodyear, AZ.

OH Its to hot, moved back to Midwest.

Oh Its to cold, moved back to Arizona.

Oh Its Way To hot (2020 record), moved to Ozarks, Mo.

Too early to tell, its cold and hot.

The Three Bears......

Would love short 1 to 2 month stays in various places. However, we love our NorCal home, location near downtown & weather. So, unlikely we'll ever sell our house. I'm so looking forward to breaking the shackles, like others here!

Would love short 1 to 2 month stays in various places. However, we love our NorCal home, location near downtown & weather. So, unlikely we'll ever sell our house. I'm so looking forward to breaking the shackles, like others here!

Try Airbnb overseas for 1 or 2 months. You can have it all: Keep the home that you love....and live 1 or 2 months stays in various places. You will be surprised how inexpensive Airbnb is compared to a hotel. One thing I like to do is rent a million dollar mansion for a week. I could never afford a million dollar mansion but at least I got the experience to feel rich for one week.

We have been living in Mexico for the very reasons you listed here. Excellent health care at about 20% of the USA costs, walkable town, great climate most of the year, community, culture, mountains and ocean. What I do like about living in Mexico over China is many here and for sure all of the doctors speak English, although my Spanish is acceptable, and we are able to drive to CA in 2 days to visit family. I have been able to witness first hand the care my 89 year old Mother has received here in the past 3 years and it’s incredible, they really do value the elderly and unlike what I have read about China, the Mexican culture is very laid back which counts a lot for me as I age. At some point I will post a thread re: Moving Mom to Mexico when she was 86 as I tracked her budget before and since and I think many would find it fascinating. She has an amazing life here!

A couple plusses on China: Low crime, high speed rail, and centrally located to travel to Thailand, Japan, Korea, Phillipines, etc. I do agree with you that low medical cost is the primary driver.

Growing old when you can no longer drive and you need nursing care scares me. I had a friend who had a stroke and a nursing home can cost $8K a month and having a nurse visit you every day will cost $5K a month. Like you stated, Mexico and China is only 25% of this. USA is a great country except for its high medical costs and high crime rate.

What is important to you?
We want dry warm weather, in a city. So we are looking at the SW.
We love Hawaii & San Diego but the cost of homes have priced us out. Not really interested in $500K for a 2BR condo that needs a gut job...Plus probably want to remain in the contiguous 48 to make it easy for us/family to get to each other.

Yes...and no...

I hear Texas is a great state to live, members here speak highly of it.

Our daughter lives in Fort Worth (our 2 oldest went to TCU) & we LOVE Fort Worth (it reminds us a lot of Lincoln where we live). But summers are BRUTAL. HOT & HUMID for 6 months.

Austin is amazing too--but more expensive & same weather...

Our daughter lives in Fort Worth (our 2 oldest went to TCU) & we LOVE Fort Worth (it reminds us a lot of Lincoln where we live). But summers are BRUTAL. HOT & HUMID for 6 months.

Austin is amazing too--but more expensive & same weather...
The hottest weather I've ever experienced outside of the Arizona desert was a September visit to San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom