I Quit.

It is a tough to walk away but the times will tell you when. I wish you well and the relief of not going back will be one of the best decisions you will ever make.

Sounds like it was time to call it quits. Congrats on your decision, I'm sure you won't regret it.

I gave my notice today. 60 days. I've had a lot of back-and-forth changes of mind about pulling the plug over the past few years, but last Friday, it became very clear to me that it was time to go.

I have 7 or 8 pages of reasons why, and I won't burden you with all of them. Here are some of the main ones:

• I have more than enough money to retire completely.
  • I told myself a long time ago that I would continue to work as long as I still enjoyed it. I'm not enjoying it.
  • I am being drawn spiritually or emotionally in one direction, and work is pulling me in another, almost the opposite. Work is an impediment to where my heart wants to go.
  • Intellectually, socially, physically, and spiritually, it's the right decision.
  • The universe has conspired in several different ways to give me a clear message: It is time to go. People say that you'll know when it's time, and I feel that now; I know it's time.
  • I'm not happy with the direction my company is moving in. Morale is sinking, people are leaving, and work load is increasing.
  • Work lately has felt like a real drain, no fun at all. Tiring.
  • My best friend, a dog, died last week. Her death, along with the changes that followed, was a catalyst for this decision. In ways I can't explain here, it would feel like a betrayal of her if I did not stop working.
  • I'm coming up on 58. I don't know how long I will live. Time > $.
  • There are a lot of things I'd like to do that continuing to work makes more difficult.

I gave my boss an official resignation letter and told most of my main colleagues. I'm a little sad, because I like many of the people I work with, and I'm a little anxious about cutting free of work completely. But mostly I feel right about the decision and relieved that I've announced it. My boss asked me if there was anything he could do to get me to stay, and I basically said no. The things I'm unhappy about aren't within his control, and I didn't want to complain about the workplace anyhow; I don't want to end on a sour note.

So that's it. After years of compiling pro/con lists and changing my mind a dozen times, I've finally pulled the cord. My time at work is coming to an end.

You had me at "I have more than enough money to retire completely." 😁 Best wishes on your exciting new phase of life!

Thanks for all the positive feedback, folks. Very encouraging. :)

You had me at "I have more than enough money to retire completely." [emoji16] Best wishes on your exciting new phase of life!
+1

Congratulations - you knew the time was right and pulled the trigger.
My countdown has also begun, 9 months...

58 is a good year. Still plenty of energy left. I'm glad I did it then.

If your best friend was your only pet, think for a bit if you want to travel or move soon. Less complicated with no pets.

Funny how every single bullet point you posted is almost exactly, verbatim to what DH said at the time he QUIT. Great minds think alike!
Congratulations!

Eddie

Is Ready

And will NOT regretty!

Best time of the year to retire, too.....there are only so many springs and summers in life...COngratulations!

I think you should think about a new dog too.....that way every time you look at him/her, you will associate with the other new phase of your life!

Put away your lists and drink in how great it feels to live life on YOUR schedule.....in a few months, you will say "xxxx WHO?" when anyone brings up work or, in most cases, co-workers!

So that's it. After years of compiling pro/con lists and changing my mind a dozen times, I've finally pulled the cord. My time at work is coming to an end.

Wow, do I ever know that feeling. (Look at the date I joined this forum!)

I have 10 weeks left. In my field, it would be completely inappropriate to give short notice (1 month would be short notice), so I gave notice at the beginning of March. The long trek does make it more difficult, but I think it's a helpful period of adjustment.

If only I could get rid of the anxiety. After I got bad news about how much I owe the IRS and the state, I started perusing the want ads! But I'm keeping my eyes on the goal, and I started decluttering. And made an appointment with my financial advisor to work out the glide path from here.

Quite a list you posted there, Eddie. Looks like Eddie is Reddie!

My own list was much shorter and didn't include any of your items. My main reason for retiring was the commute. We all have our own reasons for retiring. I'm glad you found yours. :dance:

Congrats Eddie! You will not regret it. Errr. maybe on occasion you may, we are currently painting our laundry room after having a new window installed in it. Painting is my least favorite w*ork around the house, just not enough really to hire out.

Congratulations, Eddie! When it’s time, you know it and it sounds as though you’re there. Best wishes for a wonderful next phase! Have you decided if you will relocate?

Congratulations, Eddie! When it’s time, you know it and it sounds as though you’re there. Best wishes for a wonderful next phase! Have you decided if you will relocate?

Thanks, Scuba. :)

I think I will relocate, yes. I'm just not sure where yet. I plan to do some travelling once I'm retired and scout out some possible new locations. I'm currently in a small southern college town without a whole lot to do besides shop, go to church, or eat out. There are occasional classes or events, but not enough to keep me busy. I need a bigger city with more going on. So that will be part of what I'll be trying to sort out.

I have 7 or 8 pages of reasons why, and I won't burden you with all of them. Here are some of the main ones:

You sound like you are still trying to convince yourself.

Good luck. Try to make more friends.

You sound like you are still trying to convince yourself.

Good luck. Try to make more friends.

Congrats on the complete misread. Empathy is not your strong suit.

Congratulations on your decision, welcome to retirement in a few weeks:dance:

So sorry for the loss of your pup. Our pets hold such a special place in ur lives. Maybe allow some time for grieving and consider a new one? You can both enjoy retirement together!

I’m sorry you lost your beautiful friend and companion. But so happy for your new life beginning! I had to give 60 days notice because I was in a line of work that requires a lot of lead time to replace me. It gave me time to say goodbye and to process the upcoming changes to my life. I think it was about right. Congratulations 🙂

Thanks, Scuba. :)

I think I will relocate, yes. I'm just not sure where yet. I plan to do some travelling once I'm retired and scout out some possible new locations. I'm currently in a small southern college town without a whole lot to do besides shop, go to church, or eat out. There are occasional classes or events, but not enough to keep me busy. I need a bigger city with more going on. So that will be part of what I'll be trying to sort out.

Congratulations on the step you’re taking. We’re also urban / city people and your desire to relocate resonates. Many forum members have relocated after retirement and been quite successful finding the right location. HaHa, W2R, Alan, and FIREd come to mind, just to name a few. Good luck finding yours.

F**k Yeah! Way to go. Excited for you. It's one of the most gutsy things you can do. Be proud!

Back
Top Bottom