I Think I'll Keep Working

I wouldn't. Many (most?) of the girls are scamming. Doesn't hurt to look I suppose. Don't believe anything they say and don't send them any money.

From what Pete says, This girl taking care of older men for money is like a business transaction. She gives services and the guy pays for it. The mistake can be made if the guy thinks it's anything more than that.

Living expense sounds great.

I see a lot of men go to Thailand/Phillippines for all these reasons, but do you see retired single women there? What do they do?

At least at the place I was staying, there were a few single retired females. One was a Korean woman that I saw in passing and the other an Aussie woman.... mid- 50s is my guess.

The Aussie bought me a drink (almost everyone wanted to buy me a drink) and offered access to her wi-fi network as she saw me on my laptop a few nights in a row. She was friendly as I think those in the bar saw me as new conversation.

She mentioned that she volunteers at the school and church, but relaxes most days. So, kinda how I see retirement... volunteer toward your personal interests without too much stress =)

I wouldn't. Many (most?) of the girls are scamming. Doesn't hurt to look I suppose. Don't believe anything they say and don't send them any money.

Scamming = 110%

Never send $$

DW got mad at a bar host as he commented in a foreign language about me being a sucker for leaving a large tip (a few US dollars) for a hostess. I understand tipping is not required or expected, but I saw the bar host with text books and know she is a struggling student. She was also helpful with information on other issues. The % tip was far less than any tip in the US.

When tips are not expected, they seem out of place.

Imagine somebody in the US leaving a tip that was way way too big or inappropriate. Would you think that person is compassionate or a fool ?

From what Pete says, This girl taking care of older men for money is like a business transaction. She gives services and the guy pays for it. The mistake can be made if the guy thinks it's anything more than that.

I see mistakes every day but I disagree. Some times it's an older men being take care of. That's a small segment I think. Most of the time it's a relationship. It often develops into marriage and children. On one level it is like a business transaction but a very complicated subject of endless debate here; not a black or white issue.

Brown and white issue? :cool: Anyway, you want a little excitement in your retirement? We have an endless diversion for you. There's also golf.

I see mistakes every day but I disagree. Some times it's an older men being take care of. That's a small segment I think. Most of the time it's a relationship. It often develops into marriage and children. On one level it is like a business transaction but a very complicated subject of endless debate here; not a black or white issue.

Brown and white issue? :cool: Anyway, you want a little excitement in your retirement? We have an endless diversion for you. There's also golf.

Pete44:

Does it concern anyone there about catching a bug that you can't get rid of ?

Well we derailed this thread pretty thoroughly.

I have a friend who used to work in a bar, she did it explicitly as an attempt to meet a nice western guy who would marry her. She made less money working at the bar than she had at her previous career (which she is back to now that she has a serious boyfriend who is going to bring her to England soon) making gold jewelry, but it was an investment in the chance for a big score, meeting and hopefully marrying a partner who would treat her according to western mores and who had much greater financial success than her Thai peers. We'll see how it works out, but I'm rooting for her with her current 50 year old boyfriend (she's 29).

I know a lot of expats who are married to Thai women who are happy in their retirement or careers there. There are of course horror stories about people being taken advantage of or even killed for their money, but in personal experience, it just looks like dating and marriage.

Note that Thailand has wide wealth disparity. My friends who are educated upper class business people in Bangkok have entirely different sets of opportunities than my friends who are lower class and poorly educated.

My apologies to OP and others for my involvement in the derailment.

Work as long as you enjoy it and life allows. Once you stop enjoying, look for other pursuits.

getting back to the original topic. I had read a book called "Avoid Retirement and Stay Alive" by David Bogan and Keith Davis. I'm not promoting it.....it's badly written with a lot of padding....but if you you are looking for find an interesting counterpoint to the "I want to retire as soon as I can" viewpoint this is one of the few books I've seen on the topic.

Master - this is an early retirement forum - so most advice here will espouse retirement as soon as fiscally possible. So do what you feel is best for yourself. I agree with Aiming_4_55 - hang in there until such time that your personal pursuits mean more to you than your job.

Can't I think both? :)

When tips are not expected, they seem out of place.

Imagine somebody in the US leaving a tip that was way way too big or inappropriate. Would you think that person is compassionate or a fool ?

Let's not candy coat all there is with ER...it wouldn't be fair to those reading this and trying to make their own decision.
I too dreamed of retirement, habitually calculated financial picture and set goals for ER. I was worked very hard the last several years, thrust into positions with greater and greater challenges and likewise, greater stress and less personal time. When the opportunity arrived suddenly to accept an incentive for ER at 55, I decided to jump off the ride (although very tough decision). What I wasn't expecting was the social stigma attached to ending a great career early, from friends and loved ones. No matter what you say to people, there is suspicion that something's wrong. One important exception was DW who completely supported me even though she had three more years to go. It's been over two years now and some of the stigma is gone, but still there. Unfortunately, it's hard to deal with a loss of pride. Do I regret my decision? H*ll no! I am healthier, much happier and finally living life. Just be aware it comes at some costs.

I suspect that it was mostly you that felt any stigma. Those around you were probably green with envy.

Back
Top Bottom