If money was not an issue...

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Where would you live? Grew up in Washington (the real Washington....not that DC place). Spent most of 30 years living out of the US. If I had unlimited funds....likely live in the UK, mostly because of my wife I think, although I do quite like the place....and with unlimited funds I could leave for better weather every once in a while. If not that....likely Australia. Only visited there once....but thought it was a pretty nice place. We have just had 10 straight days of above 90 degrees.....kills all my ideas about moving to Florida. I like the heat....but I also like the cold. OK.....Australia is out. Guess that means the UK. The weather is quite a bit better in southern UK....but my wife would think me a wimp (and rightly so) for wanting to live "down south" in the UK. Living in a city.....London?....ain't gonna happen. Both my wife and I aren't big fans of the place. Spokane isn't bad....but I really do have a hankerin' to head back to the UK.

Coronado, CA. Probably... Wondering if we can FIRE here on my timeline, or if I'm going to have to work longer to make it happen (and if it's worth it!).

Maybe Sydney, AU.

If money was no object, I'd probably spend the summer and fall on Cape Cod and the winter and spring in North Carolina.

I'd have ten (or more) small places - apartments/cabins all over the world and would move between them every 1 to 6 months.

I'd have ten (or more) small places - apartments/cabins all over the world and would move between them every 1 to 6 months.

On House Hunters International a couple was fixing up an old house in Cianciana, Sicily they bought for something under 50K US dollars. The scenery was really spectacular.

I am not sure how much the fixing up would cost or what year the show was from, but for that kind of money a person could have multiple houses in different countries and not have to be Bill Gates to afford them all.

It would be cool to have tiny houses in various vacation spots.

I've been to Sicily....I don't want to do business with...."the mob"....and they are definitely there.

I liked the UK. But the year I was there it was cold and that was in July through September. I have a nephew who lives there. I think about Oregon. But right now parents are a concern. I live in the mountains of So Cal. I might stay here. But always worried about fires.

Ideally, I would like to have a home base in a low tax, low COL area (southeast US). Then I'd like to spend part of the year in the French Alps and part of the year in coastal California.

If money were no object, I would have hired somebody to be sick in my place.

I then bought a E-Trek, the new class B RV that has an electric system so powerful it can run the AC on batteries. That would allow me to nap mid-day in coolness during trips without the noise of the genset.

When I got tired of RV'ing, I would hop on a plane to go abroad, to wherever tickles my fancy, to stay in a hotel for 1 week, 1 month, or however long I'd like. Wouldn't want the trouble of maintaining any more real estate.

I would still maintain my current homes, so that I had a base to go back to where most of my family are.

Last edited:
If money was not an issue, I would buy a condo in Hong Kong, live there a few months a year, and travel across Asia.

See, this is why being ultra-wealthy just would not be such a piece of cake. I'd not only have to spend a lot of time taking care of my money, but also I'd have to make decisions like where I would most want to live! :D

Chelhxi, I like your idea, but I think 3 or 4 places would be sufficient for me. One of them would be my home base, where I live now (BC). Perhaps a little place in Florida where I could winter and hop on a discount cruise ship at a moment's notice (the thrill of frugality). An appartement on the Rive Gauche in Paris would make a good European hub. And a stone cottage by the sea in West Cork, Ireland, where my family comes from. Of course I would have a housekeeper at each location and a personal assistant to organize everything for me. I might buy a fractional ownership in a Gulfstream jet too. Well, you did say money was no object..... :LOL:

I'd have a place in the UK and also keep our place in Texas. Summers in the UK with trips around the UK and in Europe while staying there. We've been doing a lot of traveling in the UK and Europe since retiring but having a house or apartment as a base to use whenever we needed to would be great.

I could see having a 2nd home in Virginia or Maryland near DC,and also London.

But shockingly enough I'm sure I'd keep my primary residence right here in Hawaii. Since I think other than a couple of months in Spring or Fall, the weather everywhere else would be bother me.

Buy a Boeing 747 and outfit it as an RV. Well, you said money was no object....

We'd likely not move at all, as we are well connected in our community, are easy travel distances to the majority of family and friends, and the seasonal weather changes (which we enjoy) are not that extreme.

We might consider getting a vacation place near the ocean as we don't get to the beach as often as we'd like.

Would have a 2nd home in London near the grandchildren. Notice I said second; don't think I could take living there full time.

Money is no object, huh?

Okay, let's see...

1. Summer residence would be an estate/winery on a vineyard in the Sonoma or Napa area. I'd hire a top winemaker and crew to run the winery part of it, since I know nothing about making great wines, I just enjoy drinking them :)

2. Winter residence would be a large custom mountain lodge (possibly log home) on acreage near Vail. I'd spent the winters there and enjoy the ski season at the various ski resorts along the I-70 corridor in Eagle and Summit counties.

I'd also have a few nice pieds-à-terre throughout the world, so I have my own places to stay when visiting. These would be large condos in the heart of the cities:

San Francisco
New York City
London
Paris
Rome

And with that kind of money, I'd never fly commercial again, so I'd have my own private jet and crew. Maybe two...one large enough to travel the world in comfort, and one small enough to get in and out of the Eagle County airport in the winters.

Now to solve the "money is no object" part...

Back
Top Bottom