If you like Styx or videos of me walking around in heaven...

I’m guessing they’re shows aren’t anything like what I saw in 1973…

No way. Would not pay a premium for most of the old timers still around.
Perhaps 1973 prices.

As stated before, my wife's name is Bunny. The official postal address of the road we are walking up in the video is Bunny Trail. I think I will call the house The Bunny Ranch. I laugh to myself every time I think of it.

The Bunny Ranch could be confused with Las Vegas type places.:cool:

No way. Would not pay a premium for most of the old timers still around.
Perhaps 1973 prices.

I graduated college in 81, saw ZZ Top, ELP, Jeff Beck, Grateful Dead and lots of others in college basketball stadiums and other venues. I think tix were around $5 - $10. The good old days. :LOL:

rmcelwee, beautiful! I'm so very happy for both of you. I can relate to your excitement for owning and working the land. I have found nothing more relaxing, solitude, rewarding, healthy and enjoyable for my soul than owning land. Even if it is just to go kick the weeds around and enjoy the great outdoors it is paradise.

Very excited for you and your new found love!

rmcelwee, beautiful! I'm so very happy for both of you. I can relate to your excitement for owning and working the land. I have found nothing more relaxing, solitude, rewarding, healthy and enjoyable for my soul than owning land. Even if it is just to go kick the weeds around and enjoy the great outdoors it is paradise.

Very excited for you and your new found love!

Thanks! I hope we enjoy it as much as you have.

Bunny, my wife, is saying that more than likely I will by a Bobcat. I don't have anything yet. Well, I do have my grandfather's 1940 something tractor. One of my first jobs will be to restore it and use it around the farm. Dad and Grandpa the day we picked up the tractor:

When we sold and moved, I bought a Mahendra 38HP 4WD tractor with a backhoe to do work around here... light enough to move with a regular truck and trailer, stout enough to dig out stumps and a pond.. (takes some time) and still functions as a regular 3 point tractor... half the price of a Bobcat.

When we sold and moved, I bought a Mahendra 38HP 4WD tractor with a backhoe to do work around here... light enough to move with a regular truck and trailer, stout enough to dig out stumps and a pond.. (takes some time) and still functions as a regular 3 point tractor... half the price of a Bobcat.

Have you seen the price for tractors these days? There is NOTHING on sale and the decent tractors are selling for a premium.

Have you seen the price for tractors these days? There is NOTHING on sale and the decent tractors are selling for a premium.

I haven't found a bargain on anything lately. I have no doubt that it will take me 5 years to build my new house at a huge premium. I'd hope for a nice recession to bring my prices down but that would be pretty selfish of me.

Yeah. I bought a 24 hp diesel Kubota 4x4 tractor w/loader in 2003 for $12000 brand new. It is always garaged and has only 350 hours on the engine. It is still worth about what I paid for it.

Last edited:
Gorgeous piece of land!! The DW and I considered TN....good state for retirement and still some nice open land, like yours. I hope you keep us updated on your build, as I will be right behind you.

On tractors, I bought a used Kubota B7800 in 2006 (300 hours) for 12 grand with a few implements. I could probably sell it for a little more today (well, that is, once I get the dash fixed, after a mouse made a home in it damaging something:-()

Yeah. I bought a 24 hp diesel Kubota 4x4 tractor w/loader in 2003 for $12000 brand new. It is always garaged and has only 350 hours on the engine. It is still worth about what I paid for it.

Kubota are very dependable and a great tractor. I have always bought old, old equipment and that includes tractors.

I also never lost any money when I went to sell them either. The large farming that I had was all rented out, so I just needed a tractor for many other purposes but also, I did some farming with them also.

It seems tractors never lose value. They will sell in future for what you paid for them now. Of course the value of the dollar is less from inflation. Also the prices of new tractors goes up each year. My experience when I was looking for a better tractor, a 5-10 year old tractor was selling for what it sold new for 5-10 years prior. So I decided to just get a new 2013 Kubota. Mine is the B-series with 33 hp rating. The torquey diesel, hydrostatic trans, 4wd and P/S sure beat the old 1942 Ford 9N with gas 23 hp, manual trans, 2wd, manual (armstrong) steering, and no front loader. Further thread drift, that 9N I bought and did some small repair work and mostly maintenance, used for 4 years, and sold for $500 more than I bought it for.

I saw them live in April 1973, at the peak of their abilities, they put on a great show. DeYoung had just joined and Tommy Shaw was still in, before DeYoung got big head and ruined Styx…

I saw them in 1978. Tickets were general admission and cost $6.00. I think the opening act was Starcastle (kind of a Yes knockoff wannabe band.)

I did see a recording of The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight concert on AXS TV a couple of years ago. I think it was recorded in 2010 or 2011. It was surprisingly good.

Styx Ticket Stub.jpg

Kubota are very dependable and a great tractor. I have always bought old, old equipment and that includes tractors.

I also never lost any money when I went to sell them either. The large farming that I had was all rented out, so I just needed a tractor for many other purposes but also, I did some farming with them also.
Have never had any troubles with it and I don't baby it either.

Back
Top Bottom