If you were buying a car today...

I would buy it and drive it for 10 years. As for which car, I would lean towards the Fit. Has plenty of room for my needs and decent mileage. Although I might wait for the hybrid version.

A diesel would be good if it wasn't so expensive. Does anyone know why diesel cost so much more than gas?

Not sure... there must be a supply problem.

I saw a comparison for the cost of fuel between the Toyota Prius and a Jetta TDI. The fuel cost per mile was a little more than the Prius. The cost of fuel to operate was on par with the Smart ForTwo car.

If you consider the reliability of a diesel compared to relatively new battery technology... The diesel may be a safer bet at this time.

YouTube - 2008 Fuel Economy Comparison: Prius v Jetta v Focus v Smart

If you were acquiring a vehicle today (needed a replacement) would you:

1. Purchase it and drive it for 10 years?
  2. Lease for short-term, assuming more fuel efficient/reliable options will be available in the next 3 years.
  3. Purchase a lightly used vehicle, assuming more fuel efficient/reliable options will be available in the next 3 years.

Another option would be to purchase a heavily used vehicle -- that is, an old one that will only last for a few years (until better options are available).

2. Lease for short-term, assuming more fuel efficient/reliable options will be available in the next 3 years.
  3. Purchase a lightly used vehicle, assuming more fuel efficient/reliable options will be available in the next 3 years.
I would purchase a new car in cash, and drive it for 10 years (like I have with my present car), or until I got tired of it.

Why? Because I love having a brand new, pristine car of my very own. I wouldn't dream of denying myself that experience. I love that new car smell, feel, and shine. I love exploring all the bells and whistles. Maybe a new car is the ultimate toy for grownups.

I don't feel that leasing has any attractions at all for me.

Purchase a lightly used vehicle and drive it another 10 years? I'm driving a 12 year old vehicle now and since I drive under 5,000 miles per year it may go another 12 years.

Buy it used...

... and keep on going until I've driven it into the ground.

I bought my previous vehicle new and planned to have it last 10 years, then 15, then it finally wore out last year at 18.

I bought my previous vehicle new and planned to have it last 10 years, then 15, then it finally wore out last year at 18.

Same here ('89 Olds Ciera). Who says domestic is no good :rant: ?

- Ron

#3. Let someone else take the initial depreciation. Then I would drive it until it drops. Rarely will fuel savings offset the cost difference of a new car. Remember you also have to pay more for insurance and registration on a new vehicle.

I'll probably buy the smallest highest milesage vehicle that has an average to below average price when I end up buying my next car. If I was buying today, I'd buy something like the Honda Civic, Toyota Yaris or Corolla, the Smart car or Hyundai Accent. I'm hoping that there will be several other cars in the same class as these that have even better mileage when I actually have to purchase a car (in 5+ years). I'm going to look at driving a car as purely transportation and not something that brings me prestige or superior comfort...and make cost/value/fuel economy as the most important decision factor when purchasing a new car.

We buy either new or lightly used cars and keep them until the wheels come off. My wife's car is 11 years old and is still very reliable for its age (Mazda Miata with less than 100,000 miles), mine is 7 years old. I like my current car a lot and I have no plan to replace it as long as it keeps running reliably. My former VW golf was 15 years old when it finally bit the dust.

When we were students we bought heavily used cars, usually for less than $1000 (paid cash) and use them for 3-4 years. Sometimes we got lucky and sometimes not so lucky. My wife's Ford Tempo (with red interior!) and Ford Probe lasted quite a few years (with very few repairs needed), but my first car (a $500 Ford Taurus) didn't make it past 6 months...

I'm with Want2retire on it, but more for the knowing how it was maintained from day one. Got burned a couple of times on used cars, if I can help it at all I'm not going there again. And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.

That said, I've never had a new lemon either so I don't have that perspective. But I keep them until parts availability or reliability becomes a problem.

I'm with Want2retire on it, but more for the knowing how it was maintained from day one. Got burned a couple of times on used cars, if I can help it at all I'm not going there again. And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.

That said, I've never had a new lemon either so I don't have that perspective. But I keep them until parts availability or reliability becomes a problem.

My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice. Had a water pump problem last month on my 2006 Trailblazer, got it replaced free of charge. Had good luck with the other used one.

Played in a golf tournament today and a 2008 Chev Malibu was the prize for a hole in one. Didn't win it of course but that was one good looking car. About the same size as a Camry or Honda Accord. My nephew bought one a few years ago and he has had good luck with his. Might be something to consider one day. Chevrolet | 2008 Malibu Sedan - Vehicle Photo Gallery | Chevy Malibu

.....And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.

My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice.

I bought my current vehicle lightly used. It's a 2006 Chevy HHR, which I purchased in October 2006 with 13K miles, still covered with the factory 3 yr/36K mile warranty.

I'd have a tough time not choosing a BMW 135 if I were replacing my BMW 330. I'd buy new, pay cash (after trading in the 330), and would probably do a European delivery ($2400 off MSRP, drive in Europe for a week or two, then they ship it over).

I'd drive it for 10 years, like I'm planning on doing with my current car. But in this scenario someone is forcing me to change those plans...

My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice. Had a water pump problem last month on my 2006 Trailblazer, got it replaced free of charge. Had good luck with the other used one.

Played in a golf tournament today and a 2008 Chev Malibu was the prize for a hole in one. Didn't win it of course but that was one good looking car. About the same size as a Camry or Honda Accord. My nephew bought one a few years ago and he has had good luck with his. Might be something to consider one day. Chevrolet | 2008 Malibu Sedan - Vehicle Photo Gallery | Chevy Malibu

That's easily the best looking GM sedan I have ever seen.

08_Chevrolet_Malibu_LTZ_037_%28400x300%29.jpg

chevrolet-malibu-2008-ltz-photo.jpg

When we were students we bought heavily used cars, usually for less than $1000 (paid cash) and use them for 3-4 years. Sometimes we got lucky and sometimes not so lucky. My wife's Ford Tempo (with red interior!) and Ford Probe lasted quite a few years (with very few repairs needed), but my first car (a $500 Ford Taurus) didn't make it past 6 months...

I lived that life while I was a student too. I drove a 1973 VW squareback. Some may say that's not such a hardship, but I was a student in 2001. The car was falling apart.

About 2 months ago I bought a used Subaru Impreza Outback -- great car for a great price. I love small four-wheel drive cars.

That's easily the best looking GM sedan I have ever seen.

Yes... not bad.

But the last couple of GM vehicles I have owned gave me problems.

I am a bit gun shy of buying from GM again.

In June '07, I was looking for a new vehicle. I went to the local GM place and asked to see an Aveo. The salesperson told me to go to the other end of the lot where they had the used cars. How am I supposed to buy an 'American' car when they don't want my business?

I ended up buying an '05 Kia from a Ford dealer.

In June '07, I was looking for a new vehicle. I went to the local GM place and asked to see an Aveo. The salesperson told me to go to the other end of the lot where they had the used cars. How am I supposed to buy an 'American' car when they don't want my business?

The Aveo is made by Daewoo in South Korea. It was rated worst in a recent evaluation by Consumer Reports.

Daewoo Kalos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ConsumerReports.org - Sedans, Ratings

ConsumerReports.org - Sedans, Chevrolet Aveo

Last edited:

A few years back when my Mom was looking to get a new car, I went around to the various dealerships to help narrow down her search for her. None of the "Big Three" dealerships around here seemed to want our business. I'd walk in and tell them generally what I was looking for, and they'd point out the window and say "There are some cars over there you can look at, and if you see anything come back in and we'll talk."

Then I went to our local KIA dealership........I had no sooner exited my car, and a salesman was there to greet me. I explained what I was looking for, and he led me over to that area of the lot and proceeded to show me the various models, and the good and not-so-good points of each. I found what I thought was just about what she was looking for, and later that day I rode back up there with her. She looked over the various models and test drove a couple of them. She chose a shiny new '04 Kia Spectra. She said it was exactly what she had looking for.

The salesman threw in a couple of items for free, and gave her top dollar for her lightly used '97 Buick Century with about 27K miles on it. She was uncomfortable driving the Buick, because she said it was too big for her.....she's kinda small, and my Dad (who was kinda big) bought it to fit himself. Now, 4 years later, she still loves her KIA, and is treated like a queen by the folks at the dealership when she takes it in for routine service.

Not a very good work truck for me, but the '96-'98 Suzuki x90 is pretty odd looking - kinda like it..

Slimjim, I'd wait till the new malibu is 2 or 3 years old. American cars depreciate at an alarming rate and the best buys are when they take the biggest hit in the first few years.

I remember that the residual value on a 2 year lease on a 2006 Ford Taurus was 50%. I would wait 2 years and pay 1/2 price. On the other hand a Jap car would have a high 70% residual value after 2 years.

I would buy Jap new and American used if it were me. 4 years ago I bought a 1998 Taurus for 4K. I still have under 50K on it and could still get 4 K for it.

Oh yeah, don't lease cars.

Slimjim, I'd wait till the new malibu is 2 or 3 years old. American cars depreciate at an alarming rate and the best buys are when they take the biggest hit in the first few years.

I remember that the residual value on a 2 year lease on a 2006 Ford Taurus was 50%. I would wait 2 years and pay 1/2 price. On the other hand a Jap car would have a high 70% residual value after 2 years.

I would buy Jap new and American used if it were me. 4 years ago I bought a 1998 Taurus for 4K. I still have under 50K on it and could still get 4 K for it.

Oh yeah, don't lease cars.

I'm not in the buying market, I just like the way it looks is all.

That Malibu is a handsome car. BUT, in all the advertising they talk about it being new and better and different and as good as a Camry or Accord. Just like they talked when they introduced the Vega :rant: and the Citation :rant: (where is the barf smiley when you need it?). I worry that Chevy has again come to market too soon with catch up technology and that they will abandon it before they work the bugs out just like in the past. The only good cars or trucks or SUVs Chevy has made in the last 50 years have had V8s. They keep trying to reinvent the cheap car to compete with the Japanese and never seem to understand that we buy Hondas and Toyotas not because they are cheap but because they are better cars. Because the Malibu does have a pretty face I will keep an open mind and wait five years for any of you who buy them to tell me if the beauty is more than skin deep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom