If your household earned less than $66,000 in 2018, you can file taxes for free

GTFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Stole this post from Slickdeals, this is a GREAT deal for millions of folks. Note this is the AGI figure, includes all common schedules and both fed and state e-file via H&R Block.

I'm sure this is a repost since it's been around for years, view this as a reminder.

www.myfreetaxes.com

Last edited:
You can go on the IRS website and deal with brand name vendors
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

One thing to note, or at least something I haven't figured out how to fix yet, if you use say TurboTax in 2017 for free, when doing your 2018 taxes there isn't a free option available as a returning customer. Same thing happened with TaxAct.
So even though I still qualify for free file when entering the process as a new customer via the IRS links, the vendor wants to charge me for the second year since I am a returning customer. Despite the convenience of starting with the prior year return, I've been having to change vendors every year to get free file.

Is tax hawk legit? We have always used TurboTax because of our rentals but it is expensive!

Yes, Taxhawk is a legitimate tax filing site. They also run FreeTaxUSA. I've used FreeTaxUSA in the past.

You can go on the IRS website and deal with brand name vendors
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

One thing to note, or at least something I haven't figured out how to fix yet, if you use say TurboTax in 2017 for free, when doing your 2018 taxes there isn't a free option available as a returning customer. Same thing happened with TaxAct.
So even though I still qualify for free file when entering the process as a new customer via the IRS links, the vendor wants to charge me for the second year since I am a returning customer. Despite the convenience of starting with the prior year return, I've been having to change vendors every year to get free file.

H&R Block is about as brand name as you get (via myfreetaxes.com).

I haven't had this issue with free TT, used it the last couple of years via the IRS link. Income is limited to $33k with free TT so not as useful for many here.

Last edited:
I have used TaxAct since about 2004, and always use the free version, which means we have to skip by a few of their ads.

Have used several different online ones depending on if we "qualified" for free filing. Last year used OLT.com and will use them again this year as our AGI will be under $69,000 which is their cutoff for free filing both federal and state.

I've sort of run into that with OLT, I've been using OLT the last few years and use the same login each year. When I start a new return they always list a fee to file for state although it should be free. I just open up a chat session and they fix it right away, only takes a minute.

We have never paid to file our income tax forms.

Starting In 2016, we formed a new LLC and our LLC bought some rental real estate. We decided that year to hire an accountant to do our taxes. But even then, the accountant gives us the completed forms and we mail them in.

I wonder what do these "free" sites do with your data?

H&R Block Deluxe Federal & State drops to ~$20 every Black Friday.

I'd still prefer my tax info to stay offline, thanks anyway.

They have to make money somehow. Even if the site has ads, I'd wonder if they were selling my data.

They make money off of those who don't qualify for Free File and pay for the service. From the IRS:
IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of industry-leading private-sector tax preparation companies that have agreed to provide free commercial online tax preparation and electronic filing. Read more about our partnership.
We do not endorse any individual Free File Alliance company or retain any taxpayer information entered on the Free File site.
Are these programs safe? Yes. Your information is protected from any unauthorized access while it is sent to the IRS. The companies may not disclose or use tax return information for purposes other than tax return preparation without your informed and voluntary consent. These companies are also subject to the Federal Trade Commission Privacy and Safeguards Rules and IRS e-file regulations.

Voluntary consent might be buried in the many pages of terms that nobody reads when signing up at such sites.

Is tax hawk legit? We have always used TurboTax because of our rentals but it is expensive!

So switch to H&R Block tax software instead. The first year it's different, but after that you are on the cheap path.

I pay $20 each year on sale for the deluxe version.
I used to get the premier version as I have rentals, but the deluxe works too. Just does not have the interview style thing for rentals, which after a few years I don't need/want.

H&R Block Deluxe Federal & State drops to ~$20 every Black Friday.

I'd still prefer my tax info to stay offline, thanks anyway.

H&R still is until end of the year.
Ditto on staying offline.

Still have to file your taxes.
I was not referring to current law.

I was stating my opinion that households with such low incomes [like the $33,000 example] should not be subject to federal taxes [therefore not subject to filing a tax return.] Government leaders should be ashamed to impose income taxes and/or filing requirements on households who barely make enough to maintain a household.

Last edited by a moderator:
government leaders are never ashamed to take your tax money. in fact every year they look for ways to improve their tax base. things like the new transaction fee and and the 15. an hour minimum wage are just ways for the government to dig deeper into your pocket.

I was not referring to current law.

I was stating my opinion that households with such low incomes [like the $33,000 example] should not be subject to federal taxes [therefore not subject to filing a tax return.] Government leaders should be ashamed to impose income taxes and/or filing requirements on households who barely make enough to maintain a household.

<opinion>
I don't agree. Everyone should pay taxes. These households should have very low taxes, but no one should pay nothing. The more you make, the more you should pay. If you pay nothing, then you are just completely disconnected from paying for the services you use, and that ends up bad.
</opinion>

Back
Top Bottom