Inflating car tires

Thanks for the chuckle about N tires.

I was thinking about the thread on "assisted living," which has gotten into old people's dislike/inability to deal with computing. I felt like an old person as I went over and over the 2-pound owner's manual. *Nowhere* did it say how to turn off the tire pressure LED dashboard display (all 4 tires, all the time!) and return to my beloved gas-mileage display. In fact, the manual seemed to imply I'd have to go to the dealership. I just kept pressing random buttons on the steering wheel and console until I finally got the results that I just *knew* had to be there somewhere.

This random-pressing-of-buttons stuff annoys me, but at least I am willing to do it. Really old people, I've found, are scared to mess with electronic things in the absence of specific instructions.

If a GM car the tire pressure is one of the displays on the driver information center. Look it up in the manual, and it should tell you about the up and down arrows on the steering wheel if that is where the controls are, or on the turn signals stalk (2011 cruze where there is a dial to change displays on the end of the turn signal stalk.) Besides the gas mileage there is also a speed minder and the two trip odometers as well. Depending on the model they may or may not also have gas mileage on the display.
The manual on my 2016 malibu discusses the driver info center.

Thanks for the chuckle about N tires.

I was thinking about the thread on "assisted living," which has gotten into old people's dislike/inability to deal with computing. I felt like an old person as I went over and over the 2-pound owner's manual. *Nowhere* did it say how to turn off the tire pressure LED dashboard display (all 4 tires, all the time!) and return to my beloved gas-mileage display. In fact, the manual seemed to imply I'd have to go to the dealership. I just kept pressing random buttons on the steering wheel and console until I finally got the results that I just *knew* had to be there somewhere.

This random-pressing-of-buttons stuff annoys me, but at least I am willing to do it. Really old people, I've found, are scared to mess with electronic things in the absence of specific instructions.

A UTube video is probably online that will show you the procedure.

Oh, believe me...I googled and youtubed everything I could get my hands on. Nothing pertained to the precise situation. So I was reduced to "hacking.":LOL:

A UTube video is probably online that will show you the procedure.

I use my floor standing bike pump with the Schrader valve connection. 20 pumps for about 4 psi. Does the trick.

We have been looking at combination battery jumper/air compressor kits to keep in our car for emergencies. We have had two tires go bad and both times the car club came out and had these nifty devices. Jump started the car when I couldn't with smaller diameter cables. Also came with a tire inflator although not sure how good it is.

Anyone think these are a good combo device?

Thanks

kannon

We have been looking at combination battery jumper/air compressor kits to keep in our car for emergencies. We have had two tires go bad and both times the car club came out and had these nifty devices. Jump started the car when I couldn't with smaller diameter cables. Also came with a tire inflator although not sure how good it is.

Thanks

kannon

Bought one of those for a brother of mine. Gotta love thoe 11% sales at Menards. I like the idea of the combo as the heavy battery is already there, so why not combine the two functions. Yet, I have mind separate, a jump box that only jumps the car, then an inflator that runs off a drill type battery.

Thanks

kannon

Yes, as mentioned, I have one (for each car). They are a bit heavy to carry around and do take up a little space. Still, I have used them a few times for my cars or for friends - both jumping and for tires. As also mentioned, don't trust the gages (unless you confirm with a 'real' one.) Keep them fully charged.

A really marginal battery (either very low from sitting or just about to quit) is difficult to jump even with these devices. Recently, my car was "abandoned" in the parking structure for the summer. The neighbor who promised to start it failed me. A regular jump with regular jumper cables would not start the car. I took BOTH of my jumper batteries and attached them to my battery and the car DID start. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom