• more than $45K

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • more than $55K

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • more than $65K

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thought it might be amusing in this community of LBYMers. Just pick the highest that applies. The BLS CPI Inflation calculator is linked below for your convenience.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Our most expensive was DW's 2001 Audi TT, $57K in today's dollars. :blush: We haven't spent anything like that much since then...

Last edited:
I don't think the mods will "flick" anyone for complaining, and to test it, I'll go first. :)

The choices are far too broad and you didn't say whether it was for the vehicle only or including taxes, title, pinstriping and undercoating.

You also failed to include an option for those who only lease cars.

Figuring it would involve a four letter word, "work".:D The most I paid for a vehicle was 19K for a 99 Suburban in 2000. Still own it.

The fully loaded minivan that we bought primarily for the nanny in '92 wreaks havoc on my cheapskate self-image when inflation adjusted. (Thankfully, just nosed under 45K, or I might have needed a [-]drink[/-] nap!)

Sheesh. That was >250% of "my" first new car (a '12 Fit) :facepalm:

Never a new car. Most spent was $12k for the current BMW, a 2008 328it.

Just thought - we've probably spent three times that much on the 1956 Chevy 210 wagon getting slowly fixed up for the gal. Haven't driven it since getting all the way to Minden Nv in it while driving it up from SoCal 30(?) years ago.

Last edited:
I don't think the mods will "flick" anyone for complaining, and to test it, I'll go first. :)

The choices are far too broad and you didn't say whether it was for the vehicle only or including taxes, title, pinstriping and undercoating.

You also failed to include an option for those who only lease cars.
:nonono: Includes taxes and pinstriping, but not title, undercoating or bull horns. :cool:

$47500 in today's dollars. My 07 G35. Not atrocious. Probably a little spendy for back then, but essentially paid cash and have had it 10 years, going on 11.

Using a online inflation calculation, my "used" 94 Acura Legend which I bought in 1996 for $26,000 is $41,250 in today's $. Wow, I believe car's list price was around $40K back then... Nice car, but man that was a lot of money back then...

$29,474.26, my 2004 Hyundai XG 350L was $22,200 out the door. November '03. This amount will pale to the Fire Engine Red Caddy, I might buy when the S&P 500 hits 2500. Then again I might just give the car away, and walk everywhere. Wow I spent almost 30 Grand. That was a lot of 50 cent coffee coupons clipped, and 21 years of brown bag lunches.

$26,270 in today's dollars for my 2007 Grand Prix GXP. Bought it used over nine years ago, and I'm still driving it.

After inflation adjustment, I spent more on my first computer than on my most recent new car.

Mine is $39K+. As I scroll down the list, the first choice that matches is >15K, so I should select that? <flick shield up>

I splurged on a 1997 Ford Explorer that was well equipped. Cost out the door was right at $30,000 which is just over $45,000 in current $.

37 and change for an F150. Call me extravagant, but I get a new pickup every 25 years whether I need it or not. Previous one had only 300k miles, but someone else needed it more than I did...

... or so I thought at the time. Sometimes I wonder how anyone manages without a truck. I can't.

1981 Datsun B210 for a little over $8k. That equates to over 21K now. We always bought used (only 1 or 2 years old) after that.

I have had a company car since my first job out of college back in 1989. My last three cars have all been in the $80K range, but all paid for by the company. I still have the last one the company bought for me. I paid the remainder of the lease when I left the company and kept it. My next car will be the Tesla Model 3, if it ever comes out. That will be the first car I've actually had to pay for since high school. Feels kind of weird, but I'm looking forward to it.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee $32,000 then, $$46,436.97 in today's dollars.
Financed almost 100% over 48 months, payment was $699 a month back then.
Boy was I stupid.

Apparently cars have inflated much faster than the basic CPI. I bought a new Corvette in early 1970 and the adjusted value comes out to about $32K. Wish I could find a new Vette for $32K. YMMV

Volvo 850 in 1995. Heated leather seats, etc. $47,000 in today's dollars. In 2009 the dashboard shorted out and nearly caught fire. It was to be my son's car for college the following year. We replaced it with a barely used Camry. That car is going strong.

$27,500 for a 2000 Chevy Impala.
Though I bet the used clunkers cost more in mechanics fees through there lives than the net on this was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom