Votes: 23 27.7%
  • more than $45K

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • more than $55K

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • more than $65K

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
1981 Datsun B210 for a little over $8k. That equates to over 21K now. We always bought used (only 1 or 2 years old) after that.

Wow. Looking back over this thread, I now recall that my 1977 B210 was about $3600 out the door. I was right. Inflation in cars has been way more than the general inflation. I realize that part of this is the various mandates - and a case could be made that cars are now "better" than they used to be. Oh, and I drove that car for over 5 years, 70K and sold it for $2600.

This all makes me think that the inflation calculator presented by Midpack can't really be applied where cars are concerned - especially not going back 40 years or more. YMMV

2870 for a 1967 Volvo and 35000 for a fully-loaded 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI with leather, my only new cars: 21000 and 57000

Kinda what I expected, somewhat bimodal. Like ER members...

Bought a 911 convertible in 2006 for $114K. Drove it every day until an F150 behind me going 50mph decided not to stop when everyone else did.

Obviously I had the car before FIRE was even a concept for me!

$42,233 for 85' Pontiac Trans Am. Wow, I was only 20 years old at the time and apparently much more carefree with money. Traded it in 4 years later on an 89' Accord LX which I kept for 15 years. Those 11 years without a car payment were probably the foundation on which my ER journey was built on.

Our current rigs are 12 and 11 years old. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Just a tad under 25kfor a new Subaru Outback earlier this year

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I bought it in June 2005 - the first weekend the model was released. The output of the inflation calculator says I paid $46,600 in todays dollars. That hurts. 12 years later I'm still driving it.... but not sure I'd recommend it to someone looking to buy a HiHy... I'm just too cheap to get a newer car. (Although DH and I are going to go test drive a few cars when the kids go back to school at the end of the month.... but we're looking at lower trim level Subarus and small SUVs... so should spend a LOT less.

Inflation adjusted approximately $4,574.93. So, I'm not exactly the winner here. (Never paid more than $3,500 for a car. However DF, who lived across the street, got tired of seeing me ride home on tow trucks and bought me a new Honda Accord in 2006, which I am still driving. I will have to up my budget when I next buy a car.

$42,233 for 85' Pontiac Trans Am. Wow, I was only 20 years old at the time and apparently much more carefree with money. Traded it in 4 years later on an 89' Accord LX which I kept for 15 years. Those 11 years without a car payment were probably the foundation on which my ER journey was built on.

Our current rigs are 12 and 11 years old. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere.
Reminds me of a quote from a financial planner years ago: "The reason you aren't saving enough for retirement is most likely parked in your driveway."

Bought a 911 convertible in 2006 for $114K. Drove it every day until an F150 behind me going 50mph decided not to stop when everyone else did.

Obviously I had the car before FIRE was even a concept for me!

If you care to share , how much did the insurance company pay out to total it?

Inflation adjusted approximately $4,574.93. So, I'm not exactly the winner here. (Never paid more than $3,500 for a car. However DF, who lived across the street, got tired of seeing me ride home on tow trucks and bought me a new Honda Accord in 2006, which I am still driving. I will have to up my budget when I next buy a car.

With a tow costing probably $200, hard to imagine it was cost effective for that cheap car.

1986 Toyota MR2 $15K

For a car, 32500 tax included for a new Acura TSX in 2004. Most expensive was a Toyota Sienna minivan in 2003 can't remember precisely but was about 39000 IIRC.

$28,600 for a one year old 1995 Ford Windstar in today's dollars. Paid $18,000 for it in late 1995. Also paid $18K for a 2001 Windstar in late 2001. Also paid $17K for a 2005 Freestar (renamed Windstar) in late 2005.

The pricing got better with time due to American's love affair with what's trendy (SUVs)

Corvette in 1987 - $103k in todays dollars.

If you care to share , how much did the insurance company pay out to total it?

Bought it for $114K, drove it every day for 3 years and had 44K miles on it at the time it was totaled.

I don't remember the exact number they gave me but it was something like $57K. No way I could have sold it for that much so I was happy to take it. More importantly, I walked away from the accident with virtually no injuries.

$36,000 for a hot convertible 7 years ago. Will drive it for another decade or more. FUN ride --- well worth the $.

Apparently cars have inflated much faster than the basic CPI. I bought a new Corvette in early 1970 and the adjusted value comes out to about $32K. Wish I could find a new Vette for $32K. YMMV

I can think of two things that may have caused this. First, American manufacturers used to make cars that were junk after less than 100,000 miles but started losing market share to the imports when buyers realized that imports lasted much longer. I came from a family of American steel workers and was the first (but not the last) to buy a Japanese brand. Longevity and reliability cost money. The second factor is how much is loaded onto a new car that they didn't have years ago- and generally you have no choice. Air bags, a "black box", catalytic converter (some cars have more than one), the computer that controls everything, a backup camera... I could go on. Yes, I know that many of these add-ons have saved lives and/or prevented accidents but they're not cheap.

To get back to the OT- the most expensive car I bought, ironically was not for me but for the man who eventually became my first husband. It was 1983, he'd ordered a brand-new Camaro with every available option and he had no money and crappy credit. So I took out the loan and we executed the proper paperwork (he signed a paper agreeing to put HIS car up as security for MY loan). WTH was I thinking? Looks like it would be a little over $25K in today's dollars so yes, a new loaded Camaro these days would cost a lot more.

When I first started working around military (1980) I noticed that the young men often spent their enlistment bonus on either a Camaro, a Firebird, or a Trans Am. Probably cars they lusted after in high school. Probably, some enlisted just to be able to get that car.

To get back to the OT- the most expensive car I bought, ironically was not for me but for the man who eventually became my first husband. It was 1983, he'd ordered a brand-new Camaro with every available option and he had no money and crappy credit.

DW has always gotten the more expensive car because she ferried the kids - and well because I want her in something reliable. Our only new car was a base 95 Nissan Quest ($26,000) that we had for 9 years. Sort of a gas powered marital aid for young couple with kids. Her latest is a CPO MB GLK350 - last years ($32,000) Valentines Day present.

A 1950s Vette probably kept up with inflation or better I imagine.

What were they back then? $2000 or so? They sell for $300,000+

When I first started working around military (1980) I noticed that the young men often spent their enlistment bonus on either a Camaro, a Firebird, or a Trans Am. Probably cars they lusted after in high school. Probably, some enlisted just to be able to get that car.

It's not just enlisted.

When they return to school later this month my oldest will be offered:How to Smartly Use the USAA Career Starter Loan - Military Guide

Most do use it to buy a fancy new vehicle.

So I decided to gift them an older (but pristine) Mercedes sports coupe (EDIT:about $90,000 new in 1998) I inherited instead, as long as max their Roth annually, plus invest any extra in a tax-efficient taxable account.

Last edited:

This guy stepped up his game with a Corvette back then!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom