Votes: 23 27.7%
  • more than $45K

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • more than $55K

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • more than $65K

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
Early 2000's was 'peak spend' for us. Had a home built and put two motorcycles and two cars in the garage. Wife leased an Acura TL Type-S - we leased it so not sure the actual dollars spent. Not sure I want to know, either... For me we looked at an Audi TT and I had my eye on the Nissan 350-Z. Man those were hot!

But then we came to our senses a bit. Wife downgraded to a nice demo model of the Hyundai Sonata. I paid off my Honda CR-V and bought a $4000 Hyundai Elantra. Later, in one last splurge, I upgraded to a Kia Rio hatchback. None of those ever cost as much (MSRP) as the Acura.

$40,000 for a loaded 2001 Ford Excursion Diesel, about $56,000 today. Wife's daily driver for hauling kids and family road trips. Kept it for 12 years.

Interestingly, mid-$50K was my upper limit when shopping for a new coupe earlier this year, but ended up spending $35,000. Lot of good cars in the $30-55,000 bracket.

DW has always gotten the more expensive car because she ferried the kids - and well because I want her in something reliable. Our only new car was a base 95 Nissan Quest ($26,000) that we had for 9 years. Sort of a gas powered marital aid for young couple with kids. Her latest is a CPO MB GLK350 - last years ($32,000) Valentines Day present.
My BIL bought his new wife a Yugo (not kidding). When she got pregnant with their first child, he traded her Yugo in on a loaded Volvo 850T wagon (safety) about 2 months before she delivered. I wonder what message that sent the wife? They divorced years later...guess there was a sign early on.

Back
Top Bottom