Inflation Observations

What really grinds my wheels to a stop is paying 3X the retail price for a bottle of wine. Paying almost $50 for a $15-$20 bottle of wine is outrageous. If I want a bottle of fine wine that is on the expensive side I will bring my own and pay the corking fee. Otherwise, I may order one glass and nurse it through dinner

Yeah, that. Usually the corkage fee (unless that's been inflated recently, too) is around $10-15 in my experience. If you bring a good but not great bottle of wine (say $20ish), you'll still be enjoy it a lot more cheaply when you BYOB rather than paying their price for the bottle.

Yeah, that. Usually the corkage fee (unless that's been inflated recently, too) is around $10-15 in my experience. If you bring a good but not great bottle of wine (say $20ish), you'll still be enjoy it a lot more cheaply when you BYOB rather than paying their price for the bottle.

We recently went to a restaurant where my GF ordered a $6.50 glass of wine. Waitress said if you are going to have a few glasses of wine it is a lot cheaper to buy it by the bottle. Asked her much the bottle was and she said $24. I asked her how many glasses of wine could she get out the the bottle. She said about 4.......We told the math genius waitress we will stick with buying it by the glass this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We recently went to a restaurant where my GF ordered a $6.50 glass of wine. Waitress said if you are going to have a few glasses of wine it is a lot cheaper to buy it by the bottle. Asked her much the bottle was and she said $24. I asked her how many glasses of wine could she get out the the bottle. She said about 4.......We told the math genius waitress we will stick with buying it by the glass this time.

Should have gone with the bottle. Go light with the pour and you can get 6-7 glasses out of a bottle. :D

<< I'm particularly indignant about the cost of services. It now costs $125 just to have a plumber come to our house, and that's before work begins. >>

I got lucky recently. I needed a tall ladder to get to something way up near the roof. Renting a ladder would be $49. And how to get the ladder to my house? Luckily I found a handyman with a ladder who came out to my house to do the work. It took some cajoling on my part to get him away from his other projects, but I finally got him out to my place and he did the repair for only $40. :dance: I didn't find him in the phone book. A building maintenance supervisor at my church recommended him and gave me his number. A common charge around here for a handyman to even appear at your house is $100. But if you have the time (big if) you can find a sane, non gouging price.

The handyman was 68 years old, and I got the impression he loved his job, and enjoyed being the best deal in town. What a find !

In 1974 (40 years ago) a can of Wilson or Penn tennis balls could be purchased for about 2 bucks. Fast forward to today, you can still get them on sale for about 2 bucks.
Must be due to advances in tennis ball production??

That is funny I bought some Wilson tennis balls yesterday for $2.69 full price. Normally get them on sale for $2 like you said but was spur of moment and still cheap enough.

Back
Top Bottom