Infrared heating pad...Worth the money?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We need a heating pad, but I have never liked electric heating pads.

I see a lot of claims for the superiority of "infrared" heating pads, but at $100 and up (and up) I am skeptical. Has anyone here used an infrared pad? Would you be so kind as to share your thoughts about it?

I see a lot of claims for the superiority of "infrared" heating pads, but at $100 and up (and up) I am skeptical. Has anyone here used an infrared pad? Would you be so kind as to share your thoughts about it?
I couldn't tell which type of heating pad your are referring to. Obviously, the regular plug-in drugstore heating pads get warm and put out long-wave IR energy (though the mode of heat transfer in use is conductive so the IR emitted isn't important). The "Infrared Heating Pads" I saw on Amazon tended to have plugs, too. They looked gimmicky ("warm yourself with the ancient and well-known healing power of jade stones" --heated with an electric resistance wire).

DW made a "heating pad" with a big, thick, tightly woven cotton sock filled about 3/4 way with about 3 lbs of rice. Pop it into the microwave for a couple of minutes and it gets toasty warm and stays warm for 20-30 minutes. It doesn't seem to wear out, the rice re-absorbs water from the air during the day and is ready to go the next day. And it smells pretty good, too, when it is warmed up. Cheap, no cords, and can be molded/shaped to fit where you want it. Like a hot water bottle, I guess, but less hassle, can't leak, and easier to keep the "beanbag" where you want it.

Last edited:
Kohl's and Amazon both have fantastic return policies. If you could get one to try at either place, it may be worthwhile. If they work as advertised you made a great purchase, if it's marketing hype there's no reason to feel bad about returning it.

Very sensible! I will do just that.

Kohl's and Amazon both have fantastic return policies. If you could get one to try at either place, it may be worthwhile. If they work as advertised you made a great purchase, if it's marketing hype there's no reason to feel bad about returning it.

OMG that must be one YUGE sock. I think I could get maybe half a pound of rice in one of mine.

DW made a "heating pad" with a big, thick, tightly woven cotton sock filled about 3/4 way with about 3 lbs of rice. .

Seems to me if you hold an electric blanket about 6" away from your body you benefit from full spectrum radiated heat. If you wrap it around you then you benefit from conducted heat.

Seems to me if you hold an electric blanket about 6" away from your body you benefit from full spectrum radiated heat. If you wrap it around you then you benefit from conducted heat.

It is all marketing, right? Any object above absolute zero delivers "full spectrum radiated energy", and when it strikes the skin or clothes a certain percent of that is converted into heat (percentage depends on the wavelengths emitted and the color/absorptivity of the skin/clothes). If the same heat were applied directly to the skin via conduction, the physiological affect is the same-- the skin gets warmer.

DW made a "heating pad" with a big, thick, tightly woven cotton sock filled about 3/4 way with about 3 lbs of rice. Pop it into the microwave for a couple of minutes and it gets toasty warm and stays warm for 20-30 minutes. It doesn't seem to wear out, the rice re-absorbs water from the air during the day and is ready to go the next day. And it smells pretty good, too, when it is warmed up. Cheap, no cords, and can be molded/shaped to fit where you want it. Like a hot water bottle, I guess, but less hassle, can't leak, and easier to keep the "beanbag" where you want it.

Yeah, I grew up in an old farmhouse (only heated spaces were kitchen and family room- bedrooms you had "ice-art" on the windows on most winter days...).:eek::eek:
We used cloth bags filled with cherry pits or grape seeds, warmed in the wood-fired kitchen oven to keep us warm in bed. Those things lasted forever and worked quite well.
Those were the days. :LOL:

We bought this heating pad a few years ago and really like it. It is electric though. It comes up to full heat really quickly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NZ66KU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Great

I have a couple of heating pads filled with gel beads. You put them in the microwave for about 90 seconds, they stay hot for 15-20 minutes. Like the one with rice, you can shape them if needed.

- Rita

We have a bag similar to what Samclem described except it's pillowcase type material. Very nice that it can be conformed/molded to the area... so neck or shoulder issues - it's easy to drape it around the neck or shoulder.

I bought mine for $10 about 20 years ago... Still doing the job well.

Back
Top Bottom