iPad

Each to her own, but after testing one out at Best Buy there is absolutely no way the iPad would work for me for reading (except for brief periods). I have been reading 3-4 books a week since I bought my Kindle. Oddly I haven't felt the need to read in the dark, yet, but if I did I'd just get one of the cheap clip-on Kindle lights. I am more likely to be reading in bright sunlight. However, the iPad has many, many other functions (not being a dedicated e-reader) and I am so tempted to buy one. :)

Each to her own, but after testing one out at Best Buy there is absolutely no way the iPad would work for me for reading (except for brief periods). Oddly I haven't felt the need to read in the dark, yet, but if I did I'd just get one of the cheap clip-on Kindle lights.
They work reasonably well, I'm happy with my lighting, I often add the clip on light to the ambient light at night, and the sun is great. I assume there is still nowhere you can go to test read a Kindle?

They work reasonably well, I'm happy with my lighting, I often add the clip on light to the ambient light at night, and the sun is great. I assume there is still nowhere you can go to test read a Kindle?

Target is starting to carry them, and I have read that Target stores in Florida now carry them. Target stores in other states are supposed to follow.

But otherwise, I guess one just has to order one and find out. They have a 30 day no questions asked guarantee, and if I'm not mistaken they even pay for the shipping. I bought my k2i with that guarantee in mind, thinking I would return it and buy a DX if I needed the bigger version (but kept the k2i).

Target is starting to carry them, and I have read that Target stores in Florida now carry them. Target stores in other states are supposed to follow.

But otherwise, I guess one just has to order one and find out. They have a 30 day no questions asked guarantee, and if I'm not mistaken they even pay for the shipping. I bought my k2i with that guarantee in mind, thinking I would return it and buy a DX if I needed the bigger version (but kept the k2i).
Target, that's progress, they do have a long relationship with Amazon. Why does this Amazon/Apple thing remind me of the bigger war between Apple/Microsoft? mn, makes me want to wash out my mouth.

Hey, what ever happened to the Barnes and Noble Nook; imagine what they could have done with that word.

I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the iPod, is iPad significantly better?

What do you find lacking in sound quality on the iPod?

I haven't checked on recent models, but Stereophile magazine did an in-depth analysis of one of the early models, and declared the sound quality to be equal to or better than many higher-end ($1,000 or more) CD players of the day. Now, this was running the output into an amplifier, some headphones might load the output and reduce the bass somewhat.

The sound quality is going to be very much more a function of whatever headphones you use (or amp/speakers), and the source material - the iPod circuitry is a minor player compared to those.

OMG - I just realized you might be talking about the tiny, tinny, little built in noise-maker (I won't call it a 'speaker') in the iPod touch itself? I forgot that existed, I threatened to throw DW's iPod Touch out the window after she accidentally had some music playing through that thing, it was soooooo annoyingly bad. It took her a few seconds to find the mute or volume button or whatever, it was sheer torture for me. I can't image anyone actually using that for anything more than beep or click feedback. I wouldn't begin to describe it as 'not impressive', it's un-listenable. No speaker that fits in that size case (iPod OR iPad) is going to be any good at all.

Of course, I may be biased since I've been noodling over some designs for a couple of sub-woofers that would each be the size of a small couch, to supplement the speakers that DW already thinks are ten times too big :) Might have to run another circuit to the Living Room...

-ERD50

I am still on the fence so maybe I'll get one later. After checking them out at Best Buy, personally I prefer my Kindle for reading but then the iPad has so many other functions.

That's exactly where I am right now. I ordered a new battery for my Mac iBook from Apple since the battery died and I don't like being tethered to electricity all the time. I ordered the wrong battery.:mad: I sent the battery back to Apple the same day I received it. The return was actually very painless.

Anyway, now since I can't find a battery for my Mac, I'm really antsy for an iPad. I probably could find a replacement battery for my iBook, but at this time, I'm not looking too hard. Maybe I'll just sneak in a new iPad.:ROFLMAO: Don't know yet.

Like you, I think I would prefer my Kindle for reading.

OMG - I just realized you might be talking about the tiny, tinny, little built in noise-maker (I won't call it a 'speaker') in the iPod touch itself? I forgot that existed, I threatened to throw DW's iPod Touch out the window after she accidentally had some music playing through that thing, it was soooooo annoyingly bad. It took her a few seconds to find the mute or volume button or whatever, it was sheer torture for me. I can't image anyone actually using that for anything more than beep or click feedback. I wouldn't begin to describe it as 'not impressive', it's un-listenable. No speaker that fits in that size case (iPod OR iPad) is going to be any good at all.

-ERD50
Gad, you remind me of my dad, a techie & ham in his day. Yes, guilty of being horrified by the gadget used without headphones. I'm trying to train myself to wear those things in my ears but it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair from Etymotic Research. I've been able to listen to audio books with the ear buds but music isn't happening yet. Will continue to try to come into this century.

How exciting! :dance: :clap: I'll bet it seems like a VERY long week, though.
Oh I'm staying busy watching spanish-language telenovelas! One from Columbia is a fantastic spanish remake of Grey's Anatomy. Ironically, it is produced by the original developer of "Ugly Betty" which was later remade to the US version.

I'm not that anxious as I had already waited a month before they released the 3G!

AND we are dealing with the new house construction.

DH and I were knocked down by a bad cold this week (first one in 3 years) - but I guess it was bad enough to make up for the long period of being free of communicable diseases.

Audrey

Okay, why would an iPad be better than an iPod? I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the iPod, is iPad significantly better?
The main thing is larger screen size which makes it much better for web browsing. But I believe that in general it has a lot more "computer" like functionality - can run slide presentation apps. Hand a lot more file formats, I expect. It is able to run some simple "office" type authoring apps.

Right now to "store" a PDF on my iPod Touch, I have to open it on a web page and read it via Safari. I'm hoping that on the iPad, I can store PDFs and access them more directly.

We'll see!

Edited to add: Sound quality? You have to use earphones! The sound quality on all my iPods is superb, especially with the latest "in ear" phones that block out exterior sound. Way beats the sound on all my other audio systems that have speakers.

Audrey

Yes, guilty of being horrified by the gadget used without headphones. I'm trying to train myself to wear those things in my ears but it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair from Etymotic Research. I've been able to listen to audio books with the ear buds but music isn't happening yet. Will continue to try to come into this century.

Just hook it up to some external speakers then, if the earbuds/headphones are not your thing. I use mine that way quite a bit. Just a cheap cord will get you hooked up to any receiver or anything with an 'AUX" input. They even make some little portable speakers that would be easy to move around from room to room or chair to chair. Anything but the built in little feeble attempt at audio reproduction.

Do it for your Dad! :)

-ERD50

>>it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair

Using dragon dictation (not making this up)

Note that you can use regular headhones instead of your butt. I find that those are generally more convenient

I meant to say quote instead of EAR BUDS unquote

Note that you can use regular headhones instead of your butt. I find that those are generally more convenient

I have heard of "talking out your a$$" but never "listening with your butt".

Agreed that the built-in speaker is only suitable for operating system sounds like calendar alarms and keyboard clicks.

We have a pair of these.
site_img_pa_se210_l.jpg

The sound quality is stunning, but the are pricey, and they make me feel like I have a blocked eustachian tube. :(

Do it for your Dad! :)

-ERD50

Don't worry about dad, one of his kids became a ham radio operator.

Now that I put Dragon Dictation on the iPod, there will be a built-in excuse for any wacko posts coming from my account.

Your suggestions could [-]save my butt[/-] cma.

SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd and was on the truck for delivery this morning!

I have already synced everything with my computer - gotten emails and replied. Downloaded the iBook app and gotten Winnie-the-pooh, looked at photos and videos. The visual quality is incredible, of course.

Audrey
(p.s. This message was sent from my iPad)

SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd.

I have already synced everything with my computer - gotten emails and replied. Downloaded the iBook app and gotten Winnie-the-pooh, looked at photos and videos. The visual quality is incredible, of course.

Audrey

Have fun with your new toy !

Whoopee! Have fun!
:dance::dance::dance:

Just watch out for that one-click iBook order button. It has been costing me about $20/wk.

SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd and was on the truck for delivery this morning!

Audrey

YAY!!! :dance: :clap: Have lots of fun and be sure to report back to this thread frequently about it since a lot of us enjoy reading about the iPad.

I spent at least 1/2 hour with one yesterday at Best Buy (again) but still I am not sure how it would fit into my life exactly. Which is not to say it wouldn't. And they had some of the non-3G models in stock, too.... :D :whistle: And my spending last month was down...

Whoopee! Have fun!
:dance::dance::dance:

Just watch out for that one-click iBook order button. It has been costing me about $20/wk.

Yes, I noticed there was just one click! That's a little scary!

Now are you claiming that your purchases were accidental?

Audrey

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

:2funny: I don't know how it is on the iPad, but probably the same as on the Kindle where you are given the option of reversing the charges right after clicking... no excuses! Besides, I just know you are enjoying your reading too. :)

I have been buying whatever books appeal to me, and it still comes to less than $200/month. A lot of books are free (though I keep getting distracted by the books that cost more, for some reason). Right now, I am back to reading the unabridged version of Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo and getting a big charge out of it. It cost $0.95 so that won't break the bank. I haven't read it since I was a pre-teen, and it is mind-boggling to discover how much a mature viewpoint changes the experience. I was up to 3:30 last night utterly amazed at some historical aspects of the French Revolution presented by Hugo, that flew right by me when I was young. Now that man could WRITE... I am already swept away.

SURPRISE!

Audrey

Congrats Audrey! :flowers:

YAY!!! :dance: :clap: Have lots of fun and be sure to report back to this thread frequently about it since a lot of us enjoy reading about the iPad.

I spent at least 1/2 hour with one yesterday at Best Buy (again) but still I am not sure how it would fit into my life exactly. Which is not to say it wouldn't. And they had some of the non-3G models in stock, too.... :D :whistle: And my spending last month was down...

Let's look at the evidence:
You keep posting on this thread and sneaking into Best Buy to get one-on-one time with the iPad...;) It sounds like you are running out of excuses...:D

W2R, do you think the cost of an iPad will really have any bearing on the long-term survival of your portfolio? Didn't think so.

Buy one!

Once I crossed the 60 mark it began to dawn on me that delayed gratification may be a virtue for the young, but at our age it is simply a form of gambling...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom