IRS error CP14 letter in mail today

evilanne

Recycles dryer sheets
I filed my 2023 taxes in TT and set payment for April 15th and the withdrawal was made on April 15th. Checked by bank that shows payment was made. Checked my IRS account that states balance is $0.00. IRS letter is dated April 29th, Notice of Tax Due and Demand for Payment :rolleyes:

Found one article online from prior year that says this happens (mostly to married couple but others may be get letter in error). I'm ignoring but it does not feel good to get such a letter from the IRS

I've had worse letters from IRS - like rejection of deductions and demand for payment years later (with penalties and interest!) Not a fun time.

Create an IRS.gov account for each spouse. Login and check both spouses records. If they're different call the IRS at 800-829-1040. If they both show $0 balance due, then it's ok to ignore the letter.

I would not ignore the letter. Send a response referencing the letter number with screenshots showing a zero balance. Also show the withdrawal from the bank.

I would send a letter with proof of delivery with my findings of zero balance. It would only take a few minutes, and it could become a powerful backstop.

Heck, I did not know you could set up an online IRS account!!!

These accounts can be VERY helpful in understanding things that happen with your taxes to the IRS. Even if I have no issues, I check things over a couple times per year in my account. I recommend you take the time to figure out how to generate an Account Transcript and a Tax Return Transcript. There is some overlap between what each tells you, but they are interesting to review. And very helpful if you need to understand what the IRS did during processing of your returns. They are not always easy to understand, but still helpful.

Setting up an IRS account can be a frustrating experience, especially if you select the id.me option but I look at it being mandatory to plant your flag on all these government web sites.

Setting up an IRS account can be a frustrating experience, especially if you select the id.me option but I look at it being mandatory to plant your flag on all these government web sites.
+1

I would not ignore the letter. Send a response referencing the letter number with screenshots showing a zero balance. Also show the withdrawal from the bank.
This. If you don't respond, eventually they basically consider it the equivalent of a default judgement, but if you keep contesting it until you can get your point through to them, usually they will keep it open and keep corresponding with you.

However, once you’ve gone through the painful ID.me process, you can use ID.me elsewhere and it’s very convenient. I've used it to renew my TSA Global Entry and do things with my state government.

I sat on ID.me forever, delaying and delaying. During my break away from here, I spent time dealing with stuff like this.

It turned out to go really smoothly.

A few things:
- Skip the web, do it on the phone
- Take that selfie carefully
- Make sure your license is up to date

People who have had name changes or misspellings on their license will go through a more arduous process. If info is clean, your picture is clean, and your license picture is not over 5 years old, you have a chance for a very smooth process.

Having the sign on was forced on my by EFTPS. I now use it for EFTPS, IRS and SSecurity.

Back
Top Bottom