IRS Law Suit

Why are you asking me? Call the IRS and ask them.

I'm just reporting fraud as a concerned citizen.

I'll take your advice and not do anything from now on.

My only point was, don't expect any action from your report. As I said, most of what was on those pages was advice on avoiding the scam. I really don't think they are going after anyone, based on info from these reports.

At the most, they are using the reports as a means to see how much activity is out there? Just a counter?

-ERD50

I have no idea if they chase these numbers or not, I don't care.

I used to just delete the message or simply "pick and hang" the phone, but then I thought I'd copy down the number and report it. Only takes a minute.

I also know that if nobody reports anything then nothing even has a chance of happening.

There is an Android cell phone app called Extreme Call Blocker that does a great job of blocking scam phone calls. I assume it is also available for iphones.

I just put that number on my reject list. got a second call

My only point was, don't expect any action from your report. As I said, most of what was on those pages was advice on avoiding the scam. I really don't think they are going after anyone, based on info from these reports.

At the most, they are using the reports as a means to see how much activity is out there? Just a counter?

-ERD50

I know it's said to report the calls but I always thought it was to give us something to do. To make people think that the IRS can do something about the calls. I've never reported the calls because the phone number displayed or given in the voice mail isn't a "real" number. The only thing my calling will do is tell the IRS that someone in Pennsylvania got a call and as you said how much activity is out there.

There is an Android cell phone app called Extreme Call Blocker that does a great job of blocking scam phone calls. I assume it is also available for iphones.

There's also a version called "Call Blocker No Spam Voicemail" (I have that for Android, not sure about iphones) which actually is a version of "Extreme Call Blocker" but for more current Android systems.

I was about to purchase the "Extreme Call Blocker" app then asked the author and he told me about the difference between the two apps.

Those are the only apps I've found that allows for hang up no answer and not going to voice mail for the newer Android systems. :)

I have no idea if they chase these numbers or not, I don't care.

I used to just delete the message or simply "pick and hang" the phone, but then I thought I'd copy down the number and report it. Only takes a minute.

I also know that if nobody reports anything then nothing even has a chance of happening.

See the explanation by splitdw:

I know it's said to report the calls but I always thought it was to give us something to do. To make people think that the IRS can do something about the calls. I've never reported the calls because the phone number displayed or given in the voice mail isn't a "real" number. The only thing my calling will do is tell the IRS that someone in Pennsylvania got a call and as you said how much activity is out there.

Agreed. They are not the real numbers in the Caller ID, reporting that number will do nothing. They probably change it daily, maybe every call, by just substituting some name/# in the phonebook. I keep getting calls from random City/Sate, I don't pick up and they don't leave a message. I could block them, but they change a few days later (probably to avoid detection by the NOMOROBO app).

I suppose in some minor way (like me jumping up and down moves the path of the Earth), reporting lets them know the scale of the problem. But don't expect any specific action. Writing your reps directly would probably have more effect than a form.

The only known way for any action to take place is to have them call your Congress person's personal cell phone. Google that for more.

-ERD50

Mr Number is a great app for getting rid of telemarketers and other spam callers. It's free and easy to customize.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My scam callers keep changing phone number. It seems like they have an endless bank account with local numbers.

Mr Number is a great app for getting rid of telemarketers and other spam callers. It's free and easy to customize.

+1
Really working well on the LG tracfone we use for old landlines number.

My scam callers keep changing phone number. It seems like they have an endless bank account with local numbers.

A scammer with caller id name of "Doctors Group" has been calling my landline for years and consistently changes numbers. The place has no shame as would call me bright and early in the morning and several times a day.

I finally have some peace with a whitelist based call blocker that blocks everything besides what I allow. Otherwise, time to play cat and mouse :facepalm:.

That IRS is certainly the busy agency--apparently they have several lawsuits filed against us as they call every afternoon from a different number.

That IRS is certainly the busy agency--apparently they have several lawsuits filed against us as they call every afternoon from a different number.

Wow! I still wonder if it's answering your phone or what that makes them call certain people a lot. I only get them on my land line every couple of months, never my cell. I don't pay for caller id on the land line and let everything go to voicemail but use Mr. Number on my cell. Love, Mr. Number app.

I never answer these calls, which all come into my cell phone (to which I ported my former landline number), but the lawsuits are apparently so pressing the callers leave recorded messages. I delete the voicemail and block the number and boom, another comes in, from a different spoofed number, a different fake city. DH never gets them.

Wow - figures are t was overseas. DH says - we taught Inda how to do call centers for Americans, so no wonder.

70 Indians arrested for IRS tax scam...the ring leaders are still on the loose.

They've nailed (some of) the (easily replaceable) guys in the trenches...the generals are likely already processing new recruits.

I have seen several irs phone scam pranks, but this one is funny then gets pretty shocking at the end....there is some foul language - so if that bothers you, please no not listen to this:

From the WSJ, more on the Mumbai call center arrests (which included the three owners of the company):

...close to 700 workers called targeted Americans, pretending to be from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and raking in an estimated $150,000 a day.

They would follow a precise script ...

One of the arrestees is quoted that 99% of targets would hang up/curse/etc. But the remainder were lucrative.

Fake IRS Collection Job Lands India ‘Scam Center’ Workers in Jail - WSJ

I have seen several irs phone scam pranks, but this one is funny then gets pretty shocking at the end....there is some foul language - so if that bothers you, please no not listen to this:

Well, I was shocked.....NOT. That was quite amusing! :LOL:

Last edited:
One of the arrestees is quoted that 99% of targets would hang up/curse/etc.

I was driving the other day and my phone rang indicating it was from an LosAngeles number. MrNumber app didn't flag it as a scam/fraud, so I picked it up. It was a guy with an Indian accent. He starts off with his script saying something like "Your computer has been sending out error messages....and we will help you with that" or something similar. I replied with an overly dramatic over-exaggerated,"Oh, my God!!!! I sure hope you can help." He said another sentence to two of his script, and I just kept dramatically repeating, "Oh, my God". He quickly figured out that I wasn't falling for his BS. I just kept repeating OMG, and then hear him say "S**k my d**k" a few times, then "I'm f***ing you in the a**" a few times. I responded with "Thank you, this is a recorded line". And hung up.

So the scammers can go off-script and be lewd and crude, too. :nonono:

I did flag the caller's number as a scam/fraud in MrNumber's database, but I'm sure they're on to plenty of new phone numbers by now.

omni
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Not IRS Law Suit call, but I remember back before voice mails where I got a cold call from a woman saying she wanted to help me invest money. I was too polite at the time to just hang up so let her give her sales pitch. When she knew I wasn't interested, she got argumentative and irate. When I hung up, I was thinking "She cold called me, not the other way around, and she's the one who got irate" :(. Perhaps I "wasted" her time bit politely listening to her pitch.

Back
Top Bottom