IRS Refund delays - Efile

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Its been 4 weeks since my e-filed return was accepted by the IRS. No refund yet & "Where's my refund" says

We apologize, but your return processing has been delayed beyond the normal timeframe.
You can continue to check back here for the most up to date information regarding your refund.
We understand your tax refund is very important and we are working to process your return as quickly as possible.

Has any one else's refund been delayed?

I only filed filed 17 days ago but I am hoping it comes next week. I over estimated my taxes and paid too much in estimated taxes so expecting a big refund.

Do you have anything on your return that requires reconciliation or a look-back to a previous return? Things like premium tax credit; child tax credit; American opportunity credit; earned income credit (especially if you used 2019 earned income to calculate it); took a covid distribution from an IRA last year? Basically anything that's not on a 1099 or W-2 can potentially delay your refund.

My mother’s return was efiled and accepted a little over a month ago. It also shows as “still being processed” with no dates given.

Of course, she’s had a repeating, ongoing issue for 4 years now that the IRS “fixed” again just before we filed. So who knows what the situation is. I’ll check her transcripts next week to see if they show anything.

As I indicated in another thread, after e-filing on March 5 I got a letter this week from the IRS asking for copies of the 1099-Rs showing the withholding amounts for the RMDs for my IRA & deferred compensation accounts. So, I submitted them right away.

I didn't include these when I filed electronically -- how can you do even do that? Interesting discussion in the other thread points out that they are required if you file by mail but it appears they're not required if you file electronically. Anyhow, the IRS letter states that if the amounts I reported are accurate (they are!), my refund will now arrive in 6-8 weeks.

So, adjust your withholding so that you owe a small amount, rather than being due a refund.
It's not too hard if this year is very similar to last year.
It can be tricky if this year was the first time you did RMDs or some other transition...

My e-filed return was accepted on 2/16/22. I still get the message of "being processed". I do not claim EIC or child credits. I was well under the income for the stimulus payments. I have not received any letters from the IRS. My Colorado refund came in about two weeks after filing. Colorado is usually the one that needs more information. I talked with an accountant friend yesterday and he has not heard of any particular issues that might impact me.

Still owed for 2020 and 2021. Next year will make sure I owe a small amount of tax and thus no issues.
Don't need this BS in retirement.

Still owed for 2020 and 2021. Next year will make sure I owe a small amount of tax and thus no issues.

Sounds like a good plan...

I’ve been getting close with my estimates but have been coming out with an over payment (refund) the last few years. I just roll it forward and move on. Though I agree, owing a small amount would be best.

I eFiled on 3/13 and my refund (toward 2022) still says “processing” after 4 weeks. I have an amended return (more refund toward 2022) I want to file, but I know I should wait until the original has cleared…

Last edited:
I eFiled on 3/13 and my refund still says “processing” after 4 weeks. I have an amended return (more refund) I want to file, but I know I should wait until the original has cleared…

Is there any chance the reason for the amendment is what's slowing down your original return's processing? If so, the IRS may just send you a letter that you can respond to with a 1040X.

Is there any chance the reason for the amendment is what's slowing down your original return's processing? If so, the IRS may just send you a letter that you can respond to with a 1040X.
Don’t know. I substantially understated my foreign tax credit. Another reason for me to wait until my original return has processed. And thanks. :flowers:

Do you have anything on your return that requires reconciliation or a look-back to a previous return? Things like premium tax credit; child tax credit; American opportunity credit; earned income credit (especially if you used 2019 earned income to calculate it); took a covid distribution from an IRA last year? Basically anything that's not on a 1099 or W-2 can potentially delay your refund.

I claimed both PTC and AOTC on my 2021 return and got my refund in 9 days. E-file, direct deposit.

It’s not always that easy. My taxes have been different each of the last five years. I made estimated payments to avoid penalties from a large RE sale, then we had unexpected medical expenses that we could deduct, then the government gave us a “free” money that was not expected. It’s hard to be perfect on taxation. I just file early and haven’t been skunked yet on a refund. It’s the government. It usually involves BS. I roll with it.

My e-filed return was accepted on 2/16/22. I still get the message of "being processed". I do not claim EIC or child credits. I was well under the income for the stimulus payments. I have not received any letters from the IRS. My Colorado refund came in about two weeks after filing. Colorado is usually the one that needs more information. I talked with an accountant friend yesterday and he has not heard of any particular issues that might impact me.

Very similar to my situation. Filed around the same time & got my CO refund in a couple of weeks.

I e-filed both Fed and IL on 3/21.

Got my Fed refund direct deposit just 7 days later, and the IL refund about 18 days from filing.

I've got to fine-tune my estimates though, prefer to owe a small amount, especially with IL.

-ERD50

I waited 4 months for my Federal refund last year. I expect the same this year. Ho hum...

_B

Don’t know. I substantially understated my foreign tax credit. Another reason for me to wait until my original return has processed. And thanks. :flowers:

Hmm. I don't think the IRS will correct your return to offer you more foreign tax credit than you claimed, so that's probably not what's holding it up.

I claimed both PTC and AOTC on my 2021 return and got my refund in 9 days. E-file, direct deposit.

Sure, most people do get their refunds quickly when they claim these credits, especially if they've also claimed them in prior years. But when a return is held up in processing after being accepted, credits are frequently the reason. It doesn't mean the TP did anything wrong or shouldn't have claimed all the credits to which they are entitled, just that the IRS is taking longer to verify things.

Helped my kid file theirs.

But they changed their direct deposit information so a letter cam requiring them to verify their identity.

Sure, most people do get their refunds quickly when they claim these credits, especially if they've also claimed them in prior years. But when a return is held up in processing after being accepted, credits are frequently the reason. It doesn't mean the TP did anything wrong or shouldn't have claimed all the credits to which they are entitled, just that the IRS is taking longer to verify things.

Ah, thanks.

I knew that there was a rule or law that the IRS couldn't issue refunds with EIC or CTC prior to some date (mid-Feb?) but that is different.

I did claim both PTC and AOTC in several prior years.

been a month and still waiting on refunds from both NC and IRS.

Back
Top Bottom