IRS Refund delays - Efile

I filed the first full week of April and got my direct deposit refund in a week. I was shocked.

Really? Even the last two years? I e-file every year, but for the last two years, IRS was so late with my refunds that they even paid me interest.

Yes; even the last two years I had fast turnaround for refunds on my electronic filings. I filed fairly early in the season. Just lucky, I guess.

Strange, as I e-filed the Federal return for a deceased, our State insists on a paper copy so I mailed it today.

We got the refund for the Federal deceased e-filing within 1 week of filing :dance:

Dad’s accountant said his final return needed to be paper filed and include a copy of the Letters Testamentary, so it was. Still waiting on the refund. Just unlucky, I guess.

Efiled for DS on March 13. Refund hit his bank on April 6.... BUT they shorted his refund by the $1,400 2021 EIP 3 that he never received so we claimed it on Form 1040, line 30 of his tax return.

Looking through his bank accounts, I've very sure that he did not receive EIP 3 but am not sure why they reduced his refund by $1,400.

Thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

Efiled for DS on March 13. Refund hit his bank on April 6.... BUT they shorted his refund by the $1,400 2021 EIP 3 that he never received so we claimed it on Form 1040, line 30 of his tax return.

Looking through his bank accounts, I've very sure that he did not receive EIP 3 but am not sure why they reduced his refund by $1,400.

Have you created an online account on the IRS website and reviewed his account transcripts? They should show the EIP payment if it happened last year. There is also a page that summarizes those payments.

My mother also did not get the EIP3 payment of $1400 last year, so we also asked for it on the 2021 tax return. The IRS says her refund will be deposited this week, so we will see if they gave her the $1400 or not. Her online account showed that she did not receive it during the year.

The IRS probably thinks that they did send it to him. They may have sent it to him as a paper check, or as one of those debit cards. Which may be languishing at his IRS mailing address if the former or thrown away as perceived junk mail if the latter. It's also possible that it went to an old bank account (check the ones on his 2019 and 2020 returns if he asked for DD of his refund). Finally, it could have been intercepted by a bad actor.

If the IRS has records showing they sent it, they'll reduce his refund because his line 30 claim was, in their view, inaccurate.

If they think he sent it but he actually did not receive it, the proper course of action would be to initiate a payment trace, and once that is figured out, possibly amend the return to claim it on line 30 again.

I don't typically get a refund since I don't like paying more tax any earlier than needed, so I usually owe the IRS when I file my taxes... I also file a paper return. It helps me (from my POV) confirm that my return has been received (but maybe not processed) once the check has been cashed. Yes, I know, very old school. Anyway, this year I was surprised that my paper check had "cleared my local bank" in about 10 calendar days after I sent in my paper return with the attached paper check.

I had a USPS tracking # for my return which was delivered 3 days after I mailed it. They received my return on a Friday. By the next Friday my check had cleared my bank. (electronically processed by the IRS)... That's pretty dang quick, IMO. I guess they have someone pulling the paper checks off the returns as soon as they are received and processing them (the checks). It makes me wonder if I had filed a paper return with my checking account info on my return, rather than a paper check, if it would have already been deducted from my account. :)

Funny how quick they'll cash a check VS issuing one...:)

Last edited:
I just filed for the $1400 recovery rebate stimulus electronically as part of my return because I wasn't sent a check last year because my 2020 income was way too high, but was qualified based on my actual 2021 income. I would have owed additional federal taxes if not for the stimulus. I'll have to wait a while to see how it goes.

I don't typically get a refund since I don't like paying more tax any earlier than needed, so I usually owe the IRS when I file my taxes... I also file a paper return. It also helps me (from my POV) confirm that my return has been received (but maybe not processed) once the check has been cashed. Yes, I know, very old school. Anyway, this year I was surprised that my paper check had "cleared my local bank" in about 10 calendar days after I sent in my paper return with the attached paper check.

I had a USPS tracking # for my return which was delivered 3 days after I mailed it. They received my return on a Friday. By the next Friday my check had cleared my bank. (electronically processed by the IRS)... That's pretty dang quick. I guess they have someone pulling the paper checks off the returns as soon as they are received and processing them (the checks).

Funny how quick they'll cash a check VS issuing one...:)

You do get proof of receipt when you e-file. Usually it takes less than 15 minutes for the IRS to acknowledge the return by e-mail and you'll also see it in your online IRS account the next day. You can still mail a paper check if you e-file or you can schedule an electronic payment for a later date. If you pay electronically, the bank also has proof of the IRS receiving the money.

Envelopes with payments in them do get opened first and the checks get cashed even though the returns don't get processed immediately. They know which envelopes have checks because the addresses are different if you owe or if you get a refund. If they didn't cash checks quickly, a lot of them would bounce two or three months down the road.

^^^^ Yes, but as I said "very old school". I just don't like efile for reasons I won't go into here.

Last edited:
Have you created an online account on the IRS website and reviewed his account transcripts? They should show the EIP payment if it happened last year. There is also a page that summarizes those payments.

My mother also did not get the EIP3 payment of $1400 last year, so we also asked for it on the 2021 tax return. The IRS says her refund will be deposited this week, so we will see if they gave her the $1400 or not. Her online account showed that she did not receive it during the year.

Yes, I figured out that would be the next steps.

The only "complication" in my return is the 1116 Schedule B that Turbotax was having an issue with. I wonder if that's what's causing the delays - but I'll never know.

That could be the reason. That's a new schedule this year and the IRS doesn't have an e-file schema for it. It can only be sent as a PDF attachment, so it might very well require some kind of manual intervention.

The only "complication" in my return is the 1116 Schedule B that Turbotax was having an issue with. I wonder if that's what's causing the delays - but I'll never know.

That could be the reason. That's a new schedule this year and the IRS doesn't have an e-file schema for it. It can only be sent as a PDF attachment, so it might very well require some kind of manual intervention.
Could very well be the holdup with mine. And I have an amended return because my original Form 1116 Sched B was wrong - a refund on top of a refund. I may be waiting a LONG time. But it all goes toward 2022 taxes so as long as it’s done before I file a 2022 return next year… :facepalm:

I filed both my federal and state income taxes electronically on 3/31/22. Received my state return on 4/11 and federal return today.

Dad’s accountant said his final return needed to be paper filed and include a copy of the Letters Testamentary, so it was. Still waiting on the refund. Just unlucky, I guess.

I used form 1310 to avoid that mailing of proof.

When filing for a deceased, they ask questions on form 1310 to determine 3 situations.
  1. Is there a Will
  2. Are you official in the court's eyes.
  3. Will someone be appointed by the court.
If you are official, then it requires the official proof, and mail.

If not official, then just fill out form 1310, no proof required and it can be e-filed.

In reality, my DW is the official person handling the estate, but I have done the tax returns for years for the deceased, so I felt fine doing it, as a non-official and it was easier.

I had to mail the State version so that will take a month or more...

Having custody of a 10 year old granddaughter comes with a number of credits that reduce our tax liabilities. Maybe one day I'll understand the tax dodges that having a child provides.

I E-filed my taxes on the last day due to procrastination. Who knows when I'll see the refund? It will go into my vacation slush fund, however.

2022 will not be as simple since reaching the ripe age of 72--and the first round of RMD's. We've seen the bottom drop out of our combined IRA Rollover account that 2022's RMD's have been based on. And who knows what the next 8 months will hold for the equities? Any way it goes, I'm far ahead of what I contributed in 36 years working.

Last year, I used the IRS EFT to transfer money for my 2020 extension. For my efile 2020 return which I filed Oct 13 2021, I got a refund right away but it did not include the extension amount. Finally after 5 months, I got my check for that amount plus interest, 3 weeks ago.

Efiled on 3/31 received federal refund in 8 days. My new state of residence took their tax due immediately. The prior state has refund coming and is always long. They state 45 days for efile and something like 8 weeks for paper. I think they just hold the money as long as possible as when we were residents there our efile always took about 45 days for a refund.

Efiled on 4/15. State refund in a week. Federal landed yesterday. I was too conservative in withholding so was glad the money is back in my hands.

I efiled on 4/7. We owed money, which we paid via direct bank transfer. Well, I thought we owed money. Yesterday a check from the Treasury department arrives for us, with no explanation (maybe that is coming :)). I am trying to figure out why they are sending us money. I review the softcopy of our return... D'OH! :facepalm: Line 26, estimated tax payments, did not have the amount I paid in January. The check was for that exact amount. I was *sure* I had entered the amount in the tax program...

At least the mistake was in my favor, though I missed out on investing a bit into hardcopy I Bonds :). But I was surprised at how quickly they sent my "refund".

I efiled on 4/7. We owed money, which we paid via direct bank transfer. Well, I thought we owed money. Yesterday a check from the Treasury department arrives for us, with no explanation (maybe that is coming :)). I am trying to figure out why they are sending us money. I review the softcopy of our return... D'OH! :facepalm: Line 26, estimated tax payments, did not have the amount I paid in January. The check was for that exact amount. I was *sure* I had entered the amount in the tax program...

At least the mistake was in my favor, though I missed out on investing a bit into hardcopy I Bonds :). But I was surprised at how quickly they sent my "refund".
You’ll get a letter in a few days explaining it.

Back
Top Bottom