Is it Just Me ? Opening Things !

Persistence and Perseverance pays off.

We got this far up in age, we use our brains now, instead of our brawn.

Thank You Tylenol Killer...but it was bound to happen anyway.
2 many nuts around.

Tough to open containers give me an excuse to use some of the neat tools I've accumulated. It's fun to open them. :)

Thanks....I'll try that next time. Will still have box cutter on standby, just in case.
Regarding the string stitching on birdseed, feed, or charcoal bags, I was taught:

"When all else is done and said, it's the right-hand end of the single thread"

So, you would turn the bag in the video around so the single thread faces you, then pull the right end. That has always worked for me.

Embrace It

frayne, I just accepted the fact they have outsmarted me. Im in my 50s and still weight train, but trying to out muscle some of these packages isnt worth the aggravation. I got me some quality scissors and just basically go straight to them and cut em open.

I have decided to take the less frustrating road also. I keep a letter opener handy and use it when needed. No need to even start that battle.

I might note that I am also very grateful for such packaging. With today's society and the complete lack of any resemblance of a moral compass in many many cases, it does comfort me to buy packaging with tamper resistant closures, etc.

I like how no one is attributing this increasing difficulty in package opening to age. LOL

Many years ago my wife and I stumbled on an early specialty tool designed for clamshell packaging. It worked so well, we actually gave several to friends and family! A newer version appears to be sold at WalMart. Seriously, you have to try this to believe how much easier it is to use compared to scissors or box cutters...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clamshell-Package-Opener/25515289

(online, not sure if local stores have it)

I like how no one is attributing this increasing difficulty in package opening to age. LOL

Many years ago my wife and I stumbled on an early specialty tool designed for clamshell packaging. It worked so well, we actually gave several to friends and family! A newer version appears to be sold at WalMart. Seriously, you have to try this to believe how much easier it is to use compared to scissors or box cutters...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clamshell-Package-Opener/25515289

(online, not sure if local stores have it)

Heh, heh, THAT is why Walmart is so successful! They CREATE the problem by having everything in a clam shell. THEN they SOLVE the problem by SELLING you the tool to fix the problem they created. It's brilliant, though YMMV.

For the foil/tab paper undercap seals I use a small blade pointy sharp knife and trim along the inside of the container top. Then my OCD kicks in as a small bit of the remaining paper decides to give up the fight and tear away from the container. Argh! now there's no more hermetic seal when I screw down the lid! So I carefully trim the remaining paper/foil/stickum off the rim. and typically nick the rim.

At which point I transfer the pills or whatever to the old container. To read some of my pill bottles you would think the prescription expired some years ago.

HAHAHAHA YES! Thank you for this. I feel recognized :flowers:

Tough to open containers give me an excuse to use some of the neat tools I've accumulated. It's fun to open them. :)

HA! Love that. I'm a tool gatherer too. All kinds of gadgets. Always finding a better mouse trap (well, except for mouse traps: the old fashioned ones are still the best!)

For jar lids, the tapping the edges doesn't work for me. Sometimes just twisting it *tighter* first, then trying to loosen it again, is the fix. The hot water trick almost always works. I've had good luck lately with charcoal bags. I think they made them easier to just rip apart, and also the string thing, about 3 years ago. I use scissors on the inside bags of cereal. They are always impossible to open by hand without destroying it all.

Back
Top Bottom