Is it OK to be lazy?

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
I've got 22 working days (93 calendar days) until retirement. We have purchased some farm property and plan on moving as soon as I retire. Our current house will be sold some months after that. We are not taking much with us because we are leaving a 2350 sft house with a 900 sft workshop and two sheds and going to a 700 sft single wide. I know I need to sell everything I own on Craigslist/Facebook but I am not working very hard towards that goal. In addition, I am working mostly 4 days on and then 4 days off and it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking. Am I entitled to "take it easy" while my 32 years with megacorp wind down or I am I just being lazy. I am worried that I am going to spend my retirement being a couch potato. Did you guys slow down when it got close to the end of your career?

Sure it’s OK if you’re comfortable with it. I get bored if I’m not busy, so I stay busy - true throughout my career (including the last few months/weeks) and after. To each his/her own…

Nothing wrong with taking it easy for a while, just don't become a life-long couch potato! I think I slowed down for a while after retiring but now I feel as busy as ever and enjoying every minute of it. I'm sure you'll find things that you enjoy and keep you busy.

it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking...<snip>...I am worried that I am going to spend my retirement being a couch potato.

Lazy is fine, death-by-couch is not.

But don't slap yourself back just yet, enjoy the last few weeks, the holidays, and then get back on some sort of track. Hobbies, fitness, the outdoors, etc., are part of why most of us want to retire in the first place. Lying around drinking and streaming not so much. Sitting is the new smoking, as they say.

You'll be quite busy with your move. And no, you don't have to sell everything. You can donate or toss a lot of it.

I've got 22 working days (93 calendar days) until retirement. We have purchased some farm property and plan on moving as soon as I retire. Our current house will be sold some months after that. We are not taking much with us because we are leaving a 2350 sft house with a 900 sft workshop and two sheds and going to a 700 sft single wide. I know I need to sell everything I own on Craigslist/Facebook but I am not working very hard towards that goal. In addition, I am working mostly 4 days on and then 4 days off and it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking. Am I entitled to "take it easy" while my 32 years with megacorp wind down or I am I just being lazy. I am worried that I am going to spend my retirement being a couch potato. Did you guys slow down when it got close to the end of your career?
I am not lazy but am a bit of a procrastinator.
I think it is only natural to mentally wind down for a while. I used to be exhausted every time we went on vacation for the first few days.
As far as watching movies and drinking, can't see much good in either of those. Guess it depends on how much drinking you are talking about compared to "normal."
I am a huge believer in the power of walking. It is simple exercise, gets the blood flowing and motivates me to get moving for the day on other projects(like downsizing your stuff:LOL:) and I just feel better.:)

Up to you... sitting around waiting for the reaper sounds like a wasted retirement to me. It can be easy to do with nothing you "have to do." You will probably fall into some routine and I think it's a good idea to look at it to make sure what you are doing aligns with your values and, if not, consciously make plans that do.

I try to loosely plan out my weeks about two out to fit in things I want to do and ensure I have a mix of social, learning/creative, and physical exercise. My daily routine tends to follow waking whenever my body is ready (love that part of FIRE) and puttering for 30-120 minutes while I "boot up" with coffee. I then do my exercise and practice guitar before lunch. Afternoons are all over the place depending what I've planned for the week and the weather. I'm still figuring it out but am being mindful to not slip into wasting the freedom I have after working and saving for it.

I eased into it... The last two years at mega corp I worked from home most of the time so I learned how to slow down and be comfortable. :) The first few years after retirement I was running about half speed (at best). Now I'm down to a crawl.... All by choice...

BUT, like the song says, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was."

Last edited:
Sure it's Ok to be lazy if that is what you want to do. However at some point you might decide to spend your time differently. I developed some new interests and a hobby that occupies my time. You have to have something to do. Reruns on TV get old.

For medical reasons I knew the end of career was coming about 6 months earlier. I definitely had reasons to stay out of the work fray as much as possible.

In your situation I'm worried that your sitting around and drinking would become a permanent pattern.

I'd say it's just fine to be lazy, to a point. But, just be careful, it can be a hard habit to break. Also, in your current situation, of working 4 days and being off 4 days, really isn't a good gauge of how retirement might be. Part of the reason you're feeling "lazy" on those off days, is recovery from the days you were working. Once you're fully retired, you'll probably find other things to do.

Plus, in my case at least, I've noticed that my sense of time passing can become very distorted. It gets to the point that a 3 or even 4-day weekend seems like it goes by just as quickly as a normal one!

Another thing I've noticed, that when you retire, it's easy to stretch out a task, to where it fills up more time. For instance, since my uncle retired, when he cuts the grass, he only does maybe half of it one day, and then saves the rest for another. Or, sometimes that gets pushed off into another week! And this is a yard that normally only takes about 90 minutes to cut, with the tractor. Maybe two hours, if you let it go too long between cuts and the grass is taller, or only about an hour, if it's been a dry spell and there just isn't much to cut.

..... In addition, I am working mostly 4 days on and then 4 days off and it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking. Am I entitled to "take it easy" while my 32 years with megacorp wind down or I am I just being lazy.....

Personally I prefer to be active, but everyone is different, so I certainly won't judge if someone is lazy, or criticize it. But your drinking comment would be a concern. The mere fact that you mentioned it makes it sound like the drinking is in excess, and that is more worrisome than laziness.

I spent my first official week of retirement basically goofing off.

Doing Nothing is the most expensive thing a person can do. Everybody should try it once.

Last edited:
If you are FIRED you can do pretty much anything your heart desires that is legal and get away with it. Right now you may be procrastinating due to the stress of making a life change into the unknown. I hope you have made more plans for retirement other than financial. What do you see that you are retiring to?

Cheers!

I would imagine moving to a farm you will have plenty to keep you active on a daily basis.
What are your plans for retirement?
A few weeks laying around will not hurt. Although, it sounds like you have much to do to get your "stuff" out of your current place and either sold or stored. Agree with Badger on the question of stress and procrastination.
Drinking all day could lead to other health issues which can drastically reduce your time in retirement. I urge caution with that.

Is it OK to be lazy? YES!! of Societal expectations of what you need to do.

I find posts that say one needs to figure out "what to retire to" upside down. If I really needed to keep doing something.. I would just stay at work.

Great thing about early retirement is to live life like humans were really meant to for thousands of years. Run around (go for running/jog/Gym). Eat food that you like. Take a stroll. Nap before noon and afternoon. Go for miles long walks/hikes. Or do whatever one likes to do randomly on any given day. Work in garage, fix things. Help others if you feel like on any given day.

Some days like today on Sunday, we are lazy and do nothing. It feels great, but couldn't do it every day.

Drinking all day could lead to other health issues which can drastically reduce your time in retirement. I urge caution with that.

+1
A fellow I knew, told me about his DF that retired and started drinking, and then increased his drinking over time to become a full blown drunk alcoholic. Didn't seem like a good way to retire.

OP - Are you going to put some stuff in storage when you move ?

Seems to me you are going to be filling the dump with a lot of stuff, as selling online takes longer than some people believe and is a bunch of work (photos, write up, answer questions, arrange meeting time, wait).

Maybe you could pick 5 things and sell them online, and see how it works for you!
Or give away stuff now, as 3 weeks will go fast.

I’m retiring at the end of this year. 30 calendar days/17 working days since I’m taking some non paid out leave/holiday time I have for the holidays.
Except for the drinking I’ve been doing the same as you. I’ve been watching British mystery shows and I started watching the holiday baking shows on the food network. And I typically hate reality tv!
I think it’s a combination of winding down and relaxing along with not wanting to spend my weekends off working. Like I need to mow the lawn today but I don’t wanna. It’s Sunday and I have to work tomorrow. I think once I don’t have work hanging over me it will even out and I will get into a groove.
I also had an allergic reaction to some medication so I’m taking antihistamines several times a day which knock me for a loop.
Hoping it clears up soon. I may need to call in sick tomorrow. [emoji6]

Let me sit back on a comfy chair, put my feet up and think about this :cool:.

For me lazy is a natural function of life. Ms G doesn't see the same way, but after almost 17 years of retirement I think she is coming to the dark side.

Lazy, I don't like the title. If it works for you, it is great! It is too easy to be lazy and too easy to stay in that routine.

Back
Top Bottom