Is it OK to be lazy?

You don't have to rush to sell your stuff - but this is not a matter of being entitled.

The sitting around drinking is developing a bad (bad - as in unhealthy) habit. I would suggest you limit the drinking, add some exercise into your morning routine, limit the movies to one a day (two max), and make sure that you are sleeping and eating properly.

I wish I could be more active. Spinal problems limit how much walking and standing I can do these days. I can tell it’s not helping my overall health. I suggest you get into a routine of regular exercise while you can. The day will come for all of us when limits will be set by our bodies.

Last three days I’ve lay in my bed until 11:00am. That’s my laziness. I’m not beating myself up cause I had a bite and did a 10 mile walk each day. But I need to get up earlier.

I have just less than thirty days to go, in around 150 calendar days:dance:

Another thing I've noticed, that when you retire, it's easy to stretch out a task, to where it fills up more time.

I've noticed this too. Why, today it took ALL DAY for me to go to the pharmacy and pick out a birthday card, change a flapper valve in one of the toilets, and install a 30mmx30mm cooling fan on an R/C speed control, which consisted of a five minute job. I swear, this business might start to cut into my afternoon nap time!

I've got 22 working days (93 calendar days) until retirement. We have purchased some farm property and plan on moving as soon as I retire. Our current house will be sold some months after that. We are not taking much with us because we are leaving a 2350 sft house with a 900 sft workshop and two sheds and going to a 700 sft single wide. I know I need to sell everything I own on Craigslist/Facebook but I am not working very hard towards that goal. In addition, I am working mostly 4 days on and then 4 days off and it seems like my 4 days off consist of sitting around watching movies and drinking. Am I entitled to "take it easy" while my 32 years with megacorp wind down or I am I just being lazy. I am worried that I am going to spend my retirement being a couch potato. Did you guys slow down when it got close to the end of your career?

Sounds like you are just recuperating from your job. Once you are actually retired for a while, you will get off your butt to get things done once you see the mess around you does not get cleaned up by itself.

It is also possible that you forever lapse into a slothy life. In that case, well, you get what you deserve.

I don't know why, but I suddenly remember the movie "About Schmidt".

If you are FIRED you can do pretty much anything your heart desires that is legal and get away with it. Right now you may be procrastinating due to the stress of making a life change into the unknown. I hope you have made more plans for retirement other than financial. What do you see that you are retiring to?

Cheers!

We are buying/building a 30 acre farm in TN.

I forgot a footnote to my post, compound (open) break of my big toe. Doc says I should stay off my feet for 8-10 weeks. Ms G took over dog walking.

Yeah, I can't just drink coffee and surf the net for more than a couple hours.

Then I have to go do something - :)

Agree.

The covid times sure put the bikes to sleep. Usually I would do my daily lunch/errand on a bike (both equipped with bags) eat, go do the store stuff, pack it in the bags and go home.

Take out is bad in the bags. Not level, spillage and disarray happen. Quite a mess.

Personally I prefer to be active, but everyone is different, so I certainly won't judge if someone is lazy, or criticize it. But your drinking comment would be a concern. The mere fact that you mentioned it makes it sound like the drinking is in excess, and that is more worrisome than laziness.

+1

OP,
It's the drinking that would concern me, not the watching movies. You don't want the drinking to get out of control.

P.S. Lazy is my middle name.

My main concern about being "lazy" is leaving one susceptible to things such as bad eating/drinking habits, weight gain, and loss of body tone/firmness. For me, the more active I am the less I tend to fall prey to those things. So I try to strike a balance.I am probably "lazy" in the eyes of others as I do not want to work for pay, or volunteer "too much", but that does not mean I am not physically and mentally active.

I'm with DAWG52 - stay the course. As to getting rid of your stuff have you looked into house sale services? When I sold my river house I planned to engage the services of an outfit that would label and price everything in the joint, hold a public sale, take a percentage of the sales, then clear out and dispose of everything left. I ended up selling to a lady who was eager to buy the most valuable stuff in the house so I gave her a good deal on that on the condition that she take everything else. Disposal problem outsourced.

I've noticed this too. Why, today it took ALL DAY for me to go to the pharmacy and pick out a birthday card, change a flapper valve in one of the toilets, and install a 30mmx30mm cooling fan on an R/C speed control, which consisted of a five minute job. I swear, this business might start to cut into my afternoon nap time!

Why would you fix the toilet and a fan on the same day? :D

There is always tomorrow and you could get hero status for two days from the wife for fixing things.
I'm pretty lazy, my wife cannot sit still. Since retirement she has developed a large garden and runs around selling produce. I have developed a long history on Youtube. I enjoy that more than pulling weeds and picking vegetables, but that's what works for her.

Yeah, I can't just drink coffee and surf the net for more than a couple hours.

Then I have to go do something - :)

I will admit, there are days when I go directly from drinking coffee to drinking beer. but, I try to limit those. :D

Yeah, the only thing I'd be concerned about is the beer. If drinking habits are changing, it might suggest a problem for the future. Otherwise, lazy is just an unpleasant word for "unmotivated." You'll find your stride in FIRE just like the large majority of us have. Enjoy being "lazy" and then enjoy whatever comes along. Only speaking from one anecdotal person - me - so YMMV.

I worked my butt off for 35 years, most of it enjoyable. Now I am doing what I want (with ony some unwanted tasks that I am best for fixing). I love every minute and I enjoy outsourcing jobs that I am expert at.

Drinking was a part of my w*rk so yes I have cut back. Anyone has to find a balance that works best for them. Good luck.

I have to go to the dentist for my 6 month checkup tomorrow.

This requires that I actually have to get up at a certain time, wear some type of appropriate clothing and drive.

Ughh. This seriously messes up my laziness routine.

I have to go to the dentist for my 6 month checkup tomorrow.

This requires that I actually have to get up at a certain time, wear some type of appropriate clothing and drive.

Ughh. This seriously messes up my laziness routine.

I went for my 6 month check-up in August. I was only two years late due to Covid. But I know what you mean. I find myself resenting having to get dressed before 9:00AM. YMMV

I absolutely love the freedom of retirement, it is very liberating. However I did find that I needed a little bit of structure in the day. So 5 days a week I watch the morning news or something while I stationary bike at home. And usually do at least one other exercise related thing everyday, walk, gym, etc. Then it seems my mind allows me to do whatever, or nothing the rest of the day.

I pretty much drink only Friday or Saturday evenings as it still is nice to "cap" off a week.

Today I was fairly industrious. I changed not one, but TWO light bulbs in ceiling fixtures!

Today I was fairly industrious. I changed not one, but TWO light bulbs in ceiling fixtures!

Oh, no! Now you've done it!

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

Oh, no! Now you've done it!

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

Somehow, it just dawned on me that you have a lot of free time today.....:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom