Is now a good time to be thinking about home solar?

A guy knocked on our door yesterday. He said the IL govt. or Fed govt. offering FREE solar panels and FREE installation. We have an appt. today with the expert guy at 3:00. I kept saying why did you pick our house? We live in a tree neighborhood. The back of our house faces South and there are no trees back there. He said your house is perfect for this program. He said whatever leftover solar energy you have if you don't use all of it will be reimbursed by our energy company. We will make $ off our unused solar energy.

I felt bad for some of our neighbors who have these beautiful trees but they block the sun. He won't go to their house. We had to verify we were 18 yrs. or older, own our home, have good credit, and use a specific amount of energy. I will post the results of our meeting today with the expert guy.

Has anyone else heard of this program? My brother, visiting from FL also told us about this a week ago. I didn't believe him and he tried to send me the link. It didn't work or we just thought it was BS.

https://www.illinoissfa.com/for-il-residents/

Last edited:
Welp, it took about three months between getting bids and switching on our completed solar system in mid-May. We're very happy with the results, and our power bill was negative this month. One unexpected result is that we now "gamify" our power usage, waiting until we've got good electrical production before we use power-hungry appliances.

Yes, we know that game well! We are not connected to the electrical grid so all our power must come from solar. There are often sunny days I walk around the house looking for things that require larger amounts of electricity - like run a load of laundry, fill the water tank, or switch my meal plan to cook with the instant pot today instead of tomorrow. I enjoy the game! (but my family thinks I'm weird haha)

A guy knocked on our door yesterday. He said the IL govt. or Fed govt. offering FREE solar panels and FREE installation. We have an appt. today with the expert guy at 3:00. I kept saying why did you pick our house? We live in a tree neighborhood. The back of our house faces South and there are no trees back there. He said your house is perfect for this program. He said whatever leftover solar energy you have if you don't use all of it will be reimbursed by our energy company. We will make $ off our unused solar energy.

I felt bad for some of our neighbors who have these beautiful trees but they block the sun. He won't go to their house. We had to verify we were 18 yrs. or older, own our home, have good credit, and use a specific amount of energy. I will post the results of our meeting today with the expert guy.

Has anyone else heard of this program? My brother, visiting from FL also told us about this a week ago. I didn't believe him and he tried to send me the link. It didn't work or we just thought it was BS.

https://www.illinoissfa.com/for-il-residents/

Be careful when they tell you it's "free". There are "plans" out there that allow you to lease the solar arrays, get tax credits, and reduce your electric bill, and sometimes even sell excess power to your provider. That's if all goes well, the sun shines enough, and you don't need a new roof during the lease period. When it sounds too good to be true.......

Be careful when they tell you it's "free". There are "plans" out there that allow you to lease the solar arrays, get tax credits, and reduce your electric bill, and sometimes even sell excess power to your provider. That's if all goes well, the sun shines enough, and you don't need a new roof during the lease period. When it sounds too good to be true.......

We have a newer roof, 2021. I read if we don't want the panels we can link in to the local solar network and get savings as well. We'll see what he says. DH has a nose for scams or unrealistic offers.

A lot of great information on this thread.

Over the years, there are so many salespeople knocking on our doors. But, since we travel 3-4 months out of a year, and our average usage is <$100 / month, plus we have no income to offset the tax benefits (unless we do a large Roth conversion but ACA premium will go up), we have always declined their offer.

Welp, it took about three months between getting bids and switching on our completed solar system in mid-May. We're very happy with the results, and our power bill was negative this month. One unexpected result is that we now "gamify" our power usage, waiting until we've got good electrical production before we use power-hungry appliances.

Would it have affected the perform of the panels if the they followed the slope of the land vs being level?

The expert from Sunrun solar company showed up. He gave us 3 solar options. To buy the panels outright (expensive ~$26K), take a loan of 4.5% for the panels ($25K + interest), or lease the panels for 25 years at no cost for panels, installation, 24/7 maintenance, and insurance for damage. They have to make sure our roof under the shingles can handle 20lb. solar panels. We have to make sure our electrical can support the system. Ameren will pay us for overages in energy from the panels and we have a guaranteed $103 electric bill with a 3% increase per year.

My question: If technology gets better over the next few years...for instance solar panels are smaller and more efficient, will they change them out? NO. These are the panels we keep for 25 years and if we sell our house the new owners get the same package. At the end of 25 years, the option is open to renew or stop.

We already get 100% wind energy for `.05 per kwatt. And we have to pay Ameren the extra fees etc which brings the cost to ~ .12 kwatt. This month it will go up to ~.08/kwatt. DH is not on board with the lease plan or with any plan. He thinks the technology will improve and we're already getting a fairly good price for our electricity.

Sunrun will only offer 3 homes per street this deal. Thoughts?

Hesitant due reading online articles but this is from 2013. Maybe they're improving.
https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...t alleges that Sunrun,to lease a solar system.
https://www.solarreviews.com/installers/sunrun-reviews

Last edited:
My question: If technology gets better over the next few years...for instance solar panels are smaller and more efficient, will they change them out? NO. These are the panels we keep for 25 years and if we sell our house the new owners get the same package. At the end of 25 years, the option is open to renew or stop.

We already get 100% wind energy for `.05 per kwatt. And we have to pay Ameren the extra fees etc which brings the cost to ~ .12 kwatt. This month it will go up to ~.08/kwatt. DH is not on board with the lease plan or with any plan. He thinks the technology will improve and we're already getting a fairly good price for our electricity.

There are a lot of unknowns in this scenario, all just to save a little bit of money? And I was always warned by someone way smarter than me, to be skeptical of door knockers, which is how they found YOU! Is the money saved going to change your life? And will you sleep well at night with all the unknowns?

Rather than edit my post above for the 3rd time, the Ameren grid system is very old. That is an issue. And that is why they will only offer this to 3 houses per street. I have reservations about that as well.

There are a lot of unknowns in this scenario, all just to save a little bit of money? And I was always warned by someone way smarter than me, to be skeptical of door knockers, which is how they found YOU! Is the money saved going to change your life? And will you sleep well at night with all the unknowns?

Pretty much what DH said. The presentation was slick. But the bottom line just doesn't cut it.

Yes, we know that game well! We are not connected to the electrical grid so all our power must come from solar. There are often sunny days I walk around the house looking for things that require larger amounts of electricity - like run a load of laundry, fill the water tank, or switch my meal plan to cook with the instant pot today instead of tomorrow. I enjoy the game! (but my family thinks I'm weird haha)

It's funny how human nature works that way.

I'm assuming you have battery storage if you're off-grid. How much storage do you have? I'm already setting aside money for batteries, and I'm planning to do 27 kWh of Franklin LFP batteries.

...plus we have no income to offset the tax benefits (unless we do a large Roth conversion but ACA premium will go up), we have always declined their offer.

You bring up a great point. I'm still working and hope to retire in 2024, so that was a factor in our decision to do it this year while we still have a big income tax liability.

Would it have affected the perform of the panels if the they followed the slope of the land vs being level?

Technically speaking I don't think it would affect the functionality of the panels, though I'm not sure if it'd result in water runoff problems. Keeping them level certainly looks better IMO, plus the panels stay in the setting sun for longer just based on the fact they're raised up. The top panels are the last ones in the sun at the end of the day as the sun sets behind the hills off to our west.

The expert from Sunrun solar company showed up. He gave us 3 solar options. To buy the panels outright (expensive ~$26K), take a loan of 4.5% for the panels ($25K + interest), or lease the panels for 25 years at no cost for panels, installation, 24/7 maintenance, and insurance for damage. They have to make sure our roof under the shingles can handle 20lb. solar panels. We have to make sure our electrical can support the system. Ameren will pay us for overages in energy from the panels and we have a guaranteed $103 electric bill with a 3% increase per year.

Hesitant due reading online articles but this is from 2013. Maybe they're improving.
https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...t alleges that Sunrun,to lease a solar system.
https://www.solarreviews.com/installers/sunrun-reviews

I work with a guy who lives in Illinois. He got the same offer from someone who knocked on his door. I can't remember the exact figure, but the lease was a VERY high monthly cost for 25 years. I personally think it's a scam, but even if it's not the cost for leasing over 25 years is astronomical. My recommendation is to find a local-ish company with a history of installing solar in your area, and get quotes from them. I do think it's a mental trap to wait because "the technology will improve" because if that were the case we'd all still be riding horses. But I agree with your SO that the deal you presented seems shady.

I work with a guy who lives in Illinois. He got the same offer from someone who knocked on his door. I can't remember the exact figure, but the lease was a VERY high monthly cost for 25 years. I personally think it's a scam, but even if it's not the cost for leasing over 25 years is astronomical. My recommendation is to find a local-ish company with a history of installing solar in your area, and get quotes from them. I do think it's a mental trap to wait because "the technology will improve" because if that were the case we'd all still be riding horses. But I agree with your SO that the deal you presented seems shady.

Did your friend from IL go with a different solar company? Sunrun seems too big to fail. The agent touted Sunrun installed 850,000 solar units (or whatever they're called) to companies and homes all over the country. Costco has a rep. Big-name companies on the brochure, etc. That in itself gives me pause. The 2nd link I put in my post is an updated review. Plus! the expert said all the workers are employed and paid from Sunrun. I know that's not true. They hire subcontractors.

Are you planning to sell the house in the next 25 years? I seem to remember a guy at w*rk could not refi or sell the house while he still had an open lease on the solar panels. (I am not in IL). I don't recall any details other than that he was definitely paying money every month for his "free" electricity.

Some may find this clip interesting, how the diffuse shadow of an antenna coax cuts system output by 20%.

That is a 5 minute version of this 30 minute video.

I calculated Sunrun's guaranteed cost of electric energy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We use 788 kw/month on average of electricity. They guarantee $103/month electrical cost which comes to .1307 pre kw cost. Does not include Ameren's extra fees for the lines, taxes etc.

I just got off the phone with a Champaign Municipal Electricity Aggregation Program. They're offering .0843/kw for 100% wind-renewable energy.

If we went with Sunrun, we would have to upgrade our electrical system to support the solar panels and structurally support our roof to hold the 20lb. solar panels. Would have to hassle with Sunrun to make sure they maintain the panels and work with the roofing company if there are leaking issues. Then Sunrun and the roofers would haggle over who's fault the leak or whatever issue maintenance might create. Plus, this is not like we are aiming for going off the grid, that can't happen. We still would rely on Ameren for the lines. If the power goes out, we have to have a generator or battery back-up anyway.

Simply not worth it. We're getting 100% renewable energy at a good price.

We're building new construction with solar.
I am installing standing seam metal roofing, and that allows for a no rail, no penetration solar installation.

https://www.s-5.com/products/solar-racking-systems/
It simply grabs the seams. The installed weight is less and the lack of penetration is self explanatory.
My PUD has a very high base monthly rate of $40, but it still pencils out. I'll install enough solar to have no net usage.

We're building new construction with solar.
I am installing standing seam metal roofing, and that allows for a no rail, no penetration solar installation.

https://www.s-5.com/products/solar-racking-systems/
It simply grabs the seams. The installed weight is less and the lack of penetration is self explanatory.
My PUD has a very high base monthly rate of $40, but it still pencils out. I'll install enough solar to have no net usage.

I thought the sun did not shine on Puget Sound? :)

Back
Top Bottom