Is this too much roof tile gap?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Trying to post a picture here inline failed miserably due to operator error.

Does anyone know if this gap should be smaller and more uniform? (Reroof yesterday, I have a call in about this and anther issue). I am thinking they will put me off.

https://imgur.com/a/nhd2Ic9

Last edited:
I have no idea... why not do some research on the gap and look at other pics...

I would also look at what is in the valley... if there is something that is designed to flow the water down it might be OK...

I would be concerned because the valleys are where a LOT of water is channeled... at my old house I had on where in a heavy rain it looked like a 6 inch hose was gushing water off the roof... it would dig a hole in the flower bed below...

It did not look like this before . . . I will start looking I was hoping they would send someone out to talk to me. The other issue is an eaiser fix so pretty well think they will agree with that.

I looked at a roofing installation guide but I don't really understand it so if it turns into a problem I may need an independent inspector . . .

It is too early to worry really it has only been a few hours since I found the issue.

Last edited:
It ... if it turns into a problem I may need an independent inspector . . .
Confirmed cheapskate here, but I would not hesitate to immediately hire an expert. Quoting SGOTI when you talk to the contractor is not likely to take you very far. Having the inspector present may be worth the extra cost, too. I would absolutely not wait to see if "it turns into a problem."

So I need a "real" home inspector? All roofers here offer free inspections hoping you will get a roof from them of course but I don't need that. . .

I want to give them a chance before I file with the registrar of contractors of course. (This is my first "major" project, if you can't tell). Overall it seemed to go well, they worked hard from my perspective so I am hopeful they will get back to me and fix it.

Last edited:
Not a roofing expert, but more experience than most, so.. I'd say you are fine as far as function. Look at the ridges or peaks in the valley metal under the tiles. That's what catches and channels the water. Note the peak running down the center of the valley and the two peaks on either side. You can easily trap and run water from either side down those channels between the center peak and the two side peaks. The gap between the tiles themselves is an aesthetic thing: less gap, more attractive to me, but not a function issue.

Oh thank you Calmloki. The gap at the top of the valley is much narrower though it is not obvious from the photo. But I assume this would be difficult to line them up better? Which is why I thought they might say it is nonsense but room for leaves, etc to get in there and cause a blockage. . . maybe.

The issue in back is they did different things on either side of the patio. . . probably not materially important but would be easy fix so I think they will do that without fuss since it would take so little.

Last edited:
Update: they just came by and agreed to fix the front though they say it is only cosmetic. They told me I was full of **** about the other spot and that it would void the warranty to change it so I accepted that.

Last edited:
So I need a "real" home inspector? All roofers here offer free inspections hoping you will get a roof from them of course but I don't need that. ...
I would go with the kind of inspector who inspects houses for contingent purchase agreements. If you know a realtor or two they will know who the good ones are. Absent that, call a realtor who has signs up in your neighborhood. They will be helpful because you are a future prospect or referral source.

Re the meeting you just had, proceed if that never happened. If the house inspector agrees with them then you're done. If not, you can go to work on the contractor. For a contractor to say that fixing his own work will void his warranty that is complete bulls#it and makes me very suspicious. That is absolutely a reason to not let this drop.

Thank you oldshooter. I am feeling weird about this at this point. It seems strange. Not entirely awful but strange.

He is right that both sides of the patio are not the same . . . not that I ever noticed before. . .

Last edited:
If this is a permitted job, do you already expect an inspection from your city/county? If so, be there and be friendly with them, and ask all your questions.

I usually get a whole lot of "it's fine for code but not ideal" when I press, and I have had them add that kind of stuff especially if it fails inspection for other things.

Yeah no permit required just replace roof underlayment.

In any case the spot in back does not look like it could do harm (assuming I'd know this which maybe not?). I do feel like it was a deliberate choice and not an oversight. I honestly thought they forgot a tile.

Last edited:
Yeah no permit required just replace roof underlayment.

In any case the spot in back does not look like it could do harm (assuming I'd know this which maybe not?). I do feel like it was a deliberate choice and not an oversight. I honestly thought they forgot a tile.
Yep, no permit required for mine either.
I was just about to decide which roofer to go with when I saw your post. I have the same tile as yours and I would have the same concern as you. This is exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me as well, it's so hard to find good people that care about the quality of their work these days.
Quick question, did they paper over the top of the existing layer or tear it all off? I had checked a couple of you tube videos where they showed mold under the original paper layer that a previous roofer had just papered over. I noticed one estimate said strip all existing and another said paper over existing so I was curious about which method is best. They are both licensed roofers and one only warranties his labor for a year. Heck some years we don't get an inch of rain although this year has not been one of them.
I've had 3 estimates, and frankly I've not been impressed with any of the roofers and their prices are all way over what I expected to pay but I can't put this job off much longer.

They strip off the old paper - there are wood strips over the paper that come up too. . . (IDK what they are called). I would wonder how they find damaged decking if they never strip down that far? I required one deck board.

And I got bird stop and drip edge now which were not code before so things seem a bit "taller".

Make sure your quote has an allowance for broken tile they used 65 on mine.

Last edited:
Agree with the comment that it probably isn't a functional issue but does look sloppy. Below is my tile roof at a similar intersection.

Attachments

• IMG_0387a.jpg
    IMG_0387a.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 20
Thank you zinger! Your does look much better and mine was like that before. . . or nearer that then what it is today anyway. Might not have been quite that pretty.

Glad to know I am not being ridiculous.

Last edited:
Thank you oldshooter. I am feeling weird about this at this point. It seems strange. Not entirely awful but strange. ...
Go with your gut. Hire the inspector. Worst case you will find out everything is fine, which has value in itself. Best case you will head off future problems at a cost of a few hundred bucks or less.

Hindsight 20/20, but had you made final payment contingent on a successful inspection by your inspector, they’d have done a better job and you’d have more leverage.

It could very well be 100% functionable depending on what's underneath, just unattractive. Just like crooked rows of shingles can be 100% functionable but unpleasant to look at.

It is probably ok from a leak standpoint since there is that wide valley flashing under.

However, this looks like crap. Zinger's job is what I've seen. It looks like your guys took a mason's hammer and just chipped them to size instead of hitting them on the masonry saw. In other words, a shortcut to make the job go faster.

Well getting dark so I didn't take a follow up picture but they showed up with a tile saw and some extra tiles and made everything fit much better.

They brought me different flashing for the spot in back I questioned and replaced about a foot of bird stop they had over sprayed paint on so it doesn't look rusty now. (It was visible in the photo I shared above).

I am much relieved really I do not like get involved in conflicts particularly if I don't know if I am being unreasonable. I mean it isn't as though I know what sort of precision to expect or what flashing to use where so I couldn't absolutely say they were "wrong". Zingers picture helped a lot to know it was reasonable to expect more.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom