Isaac-The Storm

Wow - Isaac really pounded New Orleans - all that wind, rain and rising water! Talk about an extended visit with high winds! And it looks like it's going to pound Baton Rouge next!

W2R - you did good going on your road trip. And congrats on having emptied your fridge - I'm impressed!

Reactions: W2R
I hate this for our neighbors to the south. Yet, our weather folks are excited about the rain it may bring to AR. We are under "exceptional drought". Good comes out of bad?
It is not worth lives lost, but still we are hopeful for the rain.

A quandary of emotions.

It has been raining since about 2 pm yesterday in West Central Mississippi (aka the land mass between Mobile and New Orleans). Power went off for a couple of hours this morning. MIL had power out since 1 am and a tree limb hit her roof and the roof is now leaking.

Dog is wet.

The amount of water surge, rainfall and persistence of the storm over days of tidal cycles (each high tide raises the water level back up) has made this a very bad storm for SE LA and coastal MS. The Biloxi and Tchoutacobouff rivers are very high right now. Power outage is bad, salt water in your house, however, is a disaster.

We finally got a load of rain this morning. Some tornado warnings, but no hits that I know of. Not raining at the moment, but looks like some more off and on for this afternoon. I'm ready for it to get out of here.

Just posted an update on another thread, but it looks like our area may get a major flooding event from a dam breaking on the Tangipahoa River. First reports were that it had broken; latest reports is that it has serious damage, is in imminent danger of failure, but is not leaking yet. Whole area is currently being evacuated (50,000+ people). While I am worried about how the house held up through the storm,vis-a-vis tree damage. I expect (hope?) that I'm high enough on the bluff to avoid the surge. Glad we evacuated early.

Last edited:
It must be so scary to hear these updates but have no way of knowing exactly what is happening to your home . Stay safe everybody !

The hardest part of evacuatin is not knowing what you're goin to return to..... Right now I'm running full-tilt-boogie trying to keep DW from going into the "lions and Tigers and BEARS! Oh MY!" mode. (And pretty much failing miserably, to be honest.)

And thanks to everyone for keeping their fingers crossed for all of us.

The hardest part of evacuatin is not knowing what you're goin to return to..... Right now I'm running full-tilt-boogie trying to keep DW from going into the "lions and Tigers and BEARS! Oh MY!" mode. (And pretty much failing miserably, to be honest.)

And thanks to everyone for keeping their fingers crossed for all of us.

Hi Ellis,
I would like to send you a magic wand :flowers: for those "lions and tigers and bears!" We cannot know what you all are going through. Just know that you have millions of people pulling for you and you community.

Aren't good neighbors wonderful! One thing I will say for the aftermath of a big storm, you really get to know your neighbors. Maybe it's the "foxhole buddy" syndrome, but it really did bring our neighborhood together like nothig else.

Last go around, we were without electricity, but the neighborhood had LOTS of trees down. I had a big lime tree, another neighbor had big bags of ice, another had a blender that ran on 12 volts, and we all had rum. Instant daquaris for the block party. Let me share one learning, tho - chainsaws BEFORE daquaris is really the best order. Seems obvious now, but remember - it was REALLY hot!

Last edited:
I also talked to the retired fireman who lives on the other side of my back fence. He called me to tell me that my double front doors blew open, despite being locked with deadbolts and slide bolts at top and bottom. They wouldn't close again, but he is going to work on getting them closed today. Bless his heart. In return, I'm letting him run an extension cord to his house since he has no power.

You are so lucky to have such a great neighbor. And he's lucky to have you! This is simply wonderful - the silver lining to the cloud. Sometimes hard times bring out the worst in people, in this case, the BEST:)

We was in the lucky group in Pearl River which is about 35 miles NE of New Orleans. We lost our power early Wednesday morning and got it back last night around & PM. I bought a new generator just in case and was glad I did. It powered our two refrigerators, one freezer, the PC setup complete with monitor, router and modem plus a small TV. Just about every house in our neighborhood had generators of some type.

We never had any concerns about flooding. But there are thousands that was flooded and are still being flooded. Some areas did not flood during Katrina. Surprisingly I had ATT internet and Directv the whole time. I also had an antenna in my attic in case I lost Directv.

Last edited:
Glad everything is back on. It is going to be a hot one today. I feel for the ones that do not have power and air conditioning.

We made it home last night. House seems to have weathered the storm. No pwer. but the generator is working well.

Took us 10 hours to get here, and if we had waited another hour or so probably could not have gotten here because of flooding closing all the roads all around us.

Nice to be home

I'll bet after leaving town during an event like this and coming home puts new meaning to "there is no place like home". Glad most of you made it back and that things aren't too bad.

Isaac stumbled up this way and we are now in the eye. I'm glad the rain is here and not down Cajun way.

Folks I know in Palm Lake and Bayou Bon Fuca area of greater Slidell have water in their houses - I'm guessing cause none have emailed or posted on facebook yet.

Rain here north of Kansas City is nothing unusual except perhaps it helps relieve the drought.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Well, it looks like most members from this area have fared pretty well considering the circumstances. I last posted here on Monday night saying that I was right in the path of the storm. Well, when we learned more about how this storm was going to behave we left too.
We cleaned the refrigerator and took some freezer stuff and left on Tuesday morning. We went to North Louisiana to a home we own there thinking that our chances for being comfortable were greatly increased by heading there.
As it turns out the eye of the storm went over our home north of New Orleans and very close to where we were in North Louisiana. That was good for us because the worst of the rain bands were northeast of us in Mississippi. We didn't lose power up there and were able to keep up with events through the weather channel and CNN.
We returned home today to a messy yard but nothing that a chain saw and a little sweat can't handle. There were some people that will really suffer for a long time over this storm just as others did during Katrina. I feel for them and hope everyone the best.
Elliswyatt and W2r, glad to see that you guys made out ok.
Let me also add that unlike last time, I don't have to worry about going back to w**k. I would probably be there right now because I know they are in full "start-up mode".......without me :dance:

Glad you are OK, dessert. That storm was so unnerving, especially since it was so unpredictable for so long.

I know what you mean about w*rk! I am so glad to be retired, now, especially after hurricanes.

Both Katrina and Gustav were just very stressful because as you know all of these refineries and chemical plants were shut down and losing BIG$$$$$ for each day they were down. I can really enjoy the fact that I don't have to handle that stress anymore. All I have to do is clean up around here so I have already offered to help others who need it more than I do. That's [-]retirement[/-] freedom.

Both Katrina and Gustav were just very stressful because as you know all of these refineries and chemical plants were shut down and losing BIG$$$$$ for each day they were down. I can really enjoy the fact that I don't have to handle that stress anymore. All I have to do is clean up around here so I have already offered to help others who need it more than I do. That's [-]retirement[/-] freedom.

Yes, I know - - that is what I meant, and it is so nice to not have to deal with that after hurricanes. It's bad enough to deal with damage at home without being sent away from home to deal with high stress hurricane team stuff. I had a similar situation and it is awful. Retirement is much better.

Last edited:
W2R said:
Hope the rain is helpful in some of the drought-striken places up north.

We have been getting a great dose for two days and a little more today, so we are much less parched than we have been since May and you can slap me if I whine again (until the blizzards arrive) ;-D

We have been getting a great dose for two days and a little more today, so we are much less parched than we have been since May and you can slap me if I whine again (until the blizzards arrive) ;-D

That is great! And no, you haven't been whining. I don't like drought either.

Last edited:
Yipee!! As of 4pm, we now have power. Let there be light, and there was!

Talked with the lineman, and, according to him, everybody in the Parish (that's "County", for the non-Louisianians out there) now has power. Which means.....depending on how you look at it, either I was the last one to get power, or (my preferred option) the outages are now over for everyone and we can get back to normalcy.

Back
Top Bottom