It's time to change the clocks again

I'm retired, I don't care about an hour either way. Half the time I don't know what day it is.

This is my first post-fire Spring-Forward.

In working years, this next week was always rough and a little depressing, getting up when it's still dark.

Now? Good! I'm tired of the sunlight waking me up at 7am. The cats will be annoyed with me though, they don't get the memo.

I went ahead and already set my clocks forward.

Don't want to fuss with that when I get up in the morning

Many states are considering not changing to DST. Arizona and Hawaii currently the only states that don't change. Many (most?) people believe it's a waste of time to switch and actually causes issues with circadian rhythms and higher energy use.

I ran into a snag a couple of years ago. I was in northern Arizona, near Page. My cell phone was in and out of service, and the cell phone clock was flipping back and forth in and out of DST. As it turns out, the part of Arizona in the Navajo Nation recognizes daily savings time. Probably because the Navajo Nation extends into Utah and New Mexico that both recognize dst.

7 clocks don't auto change: MW, stove, two battery operated hands clocks, & both alarms, DW's car. Then there's DW's two watches.

Hands clocks definitely aesthetically more pleasing. Maybe I should get a coo-coo.

In working years, this next week was always rough and a little depressing, getting up when it's still dark.

Last week was the first week since Fall that it was a little light when I got to work, it was dark when I left. I will take the extra hour of light at night.

Indiana used to have some screwy rules about time zones and whether they observed DST. The finally straightened it out in the last 10 years. My favorite story about that is when I was flying from NY to Cincy back in the summer of 2001 and sat next to a man who was connecting to Indianapolis. On his ticket it showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM EDT but arriving 45 minutes "later" at 2:45 PM Indy time (EST, or CDT). Looked like something out of the Twilight Zone! :D

I lived in IN and they simply stayed on EST all the time except the burbs of Cincy and Chitown followed the big city. Not changing the clocks was great.

DST magically cured some of my insomnia. Today, I woke up at 5:00 AM instead of the usual 4:00 AM. Rock on DST!

I ran into a snag a couple of years ago. I was in northern Arizona, near Page. My cell phone was in and out of service, and the cell phone clock was flipping back and forth in and out of DST. As it turns out, the part of Arizona in the Navajo Nation recognizes daily savings time. Probably because the Navajo Nation extends into Utah and New Mexico that both recognize dst.

I'll keep that in mind. Going up to Page in a few weeks.

I lived in IN and they simply stayed on EST all the time except the burbs of Cincy and Chitown followed the big city. Not changing the clocks was great.
The Central Time Zone Evansville area changed times back then also.

7 clocks don't auto change: MW, stove, two battery operated hands clocks, & both alarms, DW's car. Then there's DW's two watches.

Hands clocks definitely aesthetically more pleasing. Maybe I should get a coo-coo.

The stove and microwave are easy on mine. push clock, set the time, push clock.

My watch is digital, and has 4 buttons, each time I have to look at the manual (piece of paper) which I can never find, so I download it again.
Then I have to do the correct sequence of buttons, I really don't like multifunction buttons. :facepalm:

Maybe next time, I'll just skip it and be an hour early for everything. :blush:

The IN area near Louisville, KY, also observed DST, so 6 months in the year they were an hour later than neighboring counties just north of the New Albany area. My LF used to live and work in Louisville and often worked in satellite offices far enough north of New Albany so they were sometimes an hour different from her home office. This caused some scheduling havoc for her office as well as for some patients in the satellite offices who sometimes arrived an hour early for their appointments.

According to this article from The History Channel, there is no good reason to keep DST around. Having it around didn't even seem to result in what was originally the goal of conserving energy.

Bah humbug.

I remember the year-round DST experiment, but don't understand the oil embargo connection. I thought it was just something members of Congress wanted to try because a) the country was no longer agricultural (so no more need for "an extra hour of daylight for the farmers") and b) most people were sick of changing back and forth.

If memory serves, year-round DST got canned because of "children walking to school in the dark."

I don't know any kids who walk to school these days (doesn't mean there aren't any). They are either bused from their homes, or their parents drive them to school. Everyone is paranoid about kids being snatched off the street.

This article was in Forbes last week:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomzel...-energy-savings-possibly-deadly/#59264d2272eb

In 1973, the oil embargo led to year-round daylight savings time.:

Two weeks to go before we begin DST in Britain (and Europe). When living in England while we were working then DST was very welcome as it gave us more daylight to work in the garden in the evenings right when everything started growing vigorously. Now that we are retired it's just a nuisance setting clocks twice a year.

Two weeks to go before we begin DST in Britain (and Europe). When living in England while we were working then DST was very welcome as it gave us more daylight to work in the garden in the evenings right when everything started growing vigorously. Now that we are retired it's just a nuisance setting clocks twice a year.

I was in the UK one year in the fall. I was working with people in the US, UK, mainland Europe and South Africa. Each had their different weekend to fall back. Except I don't think SA did DST. Anyway it was difficult to remember who's time was ahead or back.

Today I wish I was one of those fortunate people who sail right through time changes with no problems whatsoever. I am miserable this morning due to the time change. I only got about 3 hours' sleep for some reason, and it was fitful sleep too. I tried to just sleep an hour later and pretend the time change hadn't happened, but I couldn't get back to sleep. It didn't help that we had a storm going on during much of the night. Every time we have a time change I get clobbered like this. :(

Today I wish I was one of those fortunate people who sail right through time changes with no problems whatsoever. I am miserable this morning due to the time change. I only got about 3 hours' sleep for some reason, and it was fitful sleep too. I tried to just sleep an hour later and pretend the time change hadn't happened, but I couldn't get back to sleep. It didn't help that we had a storm going on during much of the night. Every time we have a time change I get clobbered like this. :(

Maybe instead of changing your clocks the night before, turn off the phone, unplug the microwave, unplug the clock by the bed, just ignore time completely?

Going back messes with me big time!

I had been told I have SAD, but somehow it coincides with the changing of the time. Like I feel normal one day and the next I want to hibernate to the Winter Solstice.
It was worse when I w*rked something about driving home in the dark just really messed with my mind.

I was in the UK one year in the fall. I was working with people in the US, UK, mainland Europe and South Africa. Each had their different weekend to fall back. Except I don't think SA did DST. Anyway it was difficult to remember who's time was ahead or back.

Living and working in the US I was often frustrated with the different time zones I had to deal with. I also had both friends and close relatives in Australia that I used to talk to on a regular basis. Those in New South Wales were either 15, or 17 hours ahead as they moved forward an hour when we fell back, plus there was a couple of weeks difference during which it was 16 hours. Queensland does not do DST which is where my brother lives, and apparently a common thing for coach drivers to say on driving north from NSW to Queensland is, "We are now entering Queensland, turn your watches back one hour and your minds 100 years."

Surprised no one has pointed out yet in this thread that Daylight SavinG Time is singular, not plural. Sorry, it's one of my more minor peeves.

One of my last projects before retirement involved a new building for the master clocks. I got to meet the people who figure out when a leap second is needed. Turns out keeping time and making sure it stays in sync with the Earth is a lot more complicated than even I (being an amateur astro-geek with a special interest in time and the calendar since I'm a leapling) imagined.

Oh, and the clock in my new truck set itself. MIght be because I got the electronic bell-and-whistle package.

Living and working in the US I was often frustrated with the different time zones I had to deal with. I also had both friends and close relatives in Australia that I used to talk to on a regular basis. Those in New South Wales were either 15, or 17 hours ahead as they moved forward an hour when we fell back, plus there was a couple of weeks difference during which it was 16 hours. Queensland does not do DST which is where my brother lives, and apparently a common thing for coach drivers to say on driving north from NSW to Queensland is, "We are now entering Queensland, turn your watches back one hour and your minds 100 years."

Many years ago, I chatted on line with a woman from New Zealand and had the same thing happen. We went from 12 to 14 hours difference, with a few weeks of 13 hours because our DST changes didn't line up perfectly. Made it confusing to find each other on line.

And around that time I was chatting with a woman from China and she had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned DST. They don't adjust their clocks at all in China, so we were 11 or 12 hours apart.

I'm taking 2 naps today. To make up for the hour lost during the time change.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Based on a few pieces I've read recently, I think DST may be on the endangered list. No loss IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom