It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
226 and change. Its taken 4 months and a bit of yo-yo-ing to get this far (-12-14lbs). Would really like to drop 10 more so I can use my closetful of suits that are just a tad too tight right now, until my anticipated year-or-two from now FIRE date...won't need suits after that...

Good Luck Rambler on your FIRE date goal. My greatest joy since retiring in July 06, was confidently tossing my big clothes one size at a time! The sad part is, I loved most of those outfits! I lost 4 sizes and gained a big smile! Thank goodness for recognizing the benefits of hydration and exercise during that process. Sagging skin would not have been a good reward, regardless of the weight loss.

Good Luck Rambler on your FIRE date goal. My greatest joy since retiring in July 06, was confidently tossing my big clothes one size at a time! The sad part is, I loved most of those outfits! I lost 4 sizes and gained a big smile! Thank goodness for recognizing the benefits of hydration and exercise during that process. Sagging skin would not have been a good reward, regardless of the weight loss.

I second that remark ;).

When I lost my 40lbs over a period of 9 months, it included 6" off my waist and inches off my chest, and I was very pleasantly surprised that I had no sagging skin. I knew exercise was a key to this but hadn't known about the hydration aspect of it.

Still doing well maintaining at 126#.

125# this morning! The scale flickered 125...126...125...I'll take the 125#, LOL!

Did better working out almost every day this past week; did the recumbent bike on days I felt tired or days I was injured. I tried the spinning class again last night, and it continues to kick my butt!

224 this week. Down a couple of pounds...got down to 222 on the weekend, but might have been a bit dehydrated...its been real hot (and humid) here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%
7/23: 194.8 16.0%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Bah, back up a pound and a half. My willpower has definitely slipped and there's been a lot of processed foods around the office over the last couple of weeks. Still in a maintenance mindset, but if it doesn't start trending downwards again soon, I'll have to get cracking.

Great Simple Girl! Recovering from a fall last summer, it looks like I can get back to my workout regiment in about 3-4 weeks (total body including core strengthening 3 days a week with a personal trainer), with walking and easy biking even sooner! I am thrilled to get back my body and my life!

07/08/08 - 238.4
07/15/08 - 237.2
07/22/08 - 237.4

First goal - 220

Not too unhappy. We spent almost a week staying in a hotel while visiting my daughter, granddaughter, and recently widowed mother. Ate out every meal, counting the incredibly crappy hotel breakfasts. I've gotten back to trying to control my diabetes by watching my diet, very difficult when eating out. :p I had hoped to lose a little, but considering everything I'm thankful I did as well as I did.

Harley

07/08/08 - 238.4
07/15/08 - 237.2
07/22/08 - 237.4

First goal - 220

Not too unhappy. We spent almost a week staying in a hotel while visiting my daughter, granddaughter, and recently widowed mother. Ate out every meal, counting the incredibly crappy hotel breakfasts. I've gotten back to trying to control my diabetes by watching my diet, very difficult when eating out. :p I had hoped to lose a little, but considering everything I'm thankful I did as well as I did.

Harley

Wish you best of luck on this Harley. I'm in my 16th year of doing it. This last year my A1Cs have spiked on me. I haven't gained any weight, but maybe I've hit an age where I need to lose more. I workout almost everyday (running or weight lifting). The best thing I've found is to walk/run after dinner meal. Unfortunately, my energy level is zero at that time of night. Good Luck.

I have been dealing with high blood sugar (pre-diabetes) for about 4 years. 7 months after we starting working out with our trainer, eating healthier, exercising, I am no longer pre-diabetic...thankfully! I am 1 year out of the danger zone now!

I was doing great for 2 years. Then we had 3 major deaths in the family, I retired, became a grandfather, moved, had another death, and somehow I sort of stopped checking. I figured I was doing OK even if I was slipping a little. I didn't check my blood sugar for over a year. My DW nagged me until I recently checked again, and I'm in big trouble. It's amazing what you can rationalize away when you don't feel bad from it.

So I'm watching my diet, exercising, checking my numbers. I'm going to wait a month and see where I end up. Then back to the doctor. I'm hoping I can control it myself, but if not meds are better than death. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Harley

Harley,
I completely understand a busy life, even during retirement. I have never been busier in my life since I retired. And its the busy-ness that gets you off track. Diabetes is a tough one, be careful there. And you are right, meds are better than death!

By the way...love love love your signature! LOL

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
07-23 219.5

Going the wrong way! But when you get back on track you feel so much better.

175 again - top of range.

Did well with exercise this week - 5 out of 7 days.

I look forward to joining you all in reporting my fitness progress. My doctor released me today after 13 months of acute back pain with three discs damaged in last years fall. Tomorrow, I get back on the treadmill!

By September, I look forward to cycle training for an upcoming biking tour of Holland. Its been years since I have been on a bike. Bike shopping has been a real eye opener this week. Gone are the simple bikes of yesterday. But, I look forward to adding the biking to my fitness regiment.

Does anyone actually want to gain weight?

I'm pretty lean and it seems that it's hard to find guys over the age of 14 that are this way.

I'm embarrassed to even post my weight it's so much less than the other guys on here!

Jim

Hey Jim, I wouldnt know what this is like, however my personal trainer can also help someone bulk up, so you might want to seek a certified personal trainer to help you do that.

Does anyone actually want to gain weight?

I'm pretty lean and it seems that it's hard to find guys over the age of 14 that are this way.

I'm embarrassed to even post my weight it's so much less than the other guys on here!

Jim

I am in that camp now (at 52 yrs old). Almost two years ago, I weighed 208 but started to eat healthy (less red meat, more fruit and veggies) and ramped up the exercise (run 4-5 miles 5 days a week, kayak on the lake several days a week, light weight training 3 days a week) so I am now down to 175. At 6'2", I think 180 to 185 or so is ideal for me but I have continued to lose weight without increasing the exercise. I actually enjoy the exercise but if I keep losing weight I may have to slow down some or change my diet.

I am in that camp now (at 52 yrs old). Almost two years ago, I weighed 208 but started to eat healthy (less red meat, more fruit and veggies) and ramped up the exercise (run 4-5 miles 5 days a week, kayak on the lake several days a week, light weight training 3 days a week) so I am now down to 175. At 6'2", I think 180 to 185 or so is ideal for me but I have continued to lose weight without increasing the exercise. I actually enjoy the exercise but if I keep losing weight I may have to slow down some or change my diet.

You might try slowly increasing whole grains.

End of week 19: down 1.8 lbs
Total Lost: 32.6 lbs

I was expecting to break-even this week due to some bad food choices :duh: but I think the extra exercise must have helped :angel:.

Had my latest fitness evaluation. The instructor's scale says in the past nearly 4 weeks I gained 2 more lbs of muscle and even with that, my weight still went down another net 2 pounds. I wasn't expecting to lose much because I upped my calories the whole month (my workouts felt a lot better when I had eaten more the previous day). I went from averaging 1250-1450 (where I was losing weight quickly) to a week at 1700, week at 2150, week at 1600. Now the only thing I haven't nailed down is how to get more sleep. I can tell I'm not getting enough sleep for my muscles to recover, they feel weary most of the time.

BF went from 21% to 18.8% (still don't think that's completely accurate, but at least it is consistent with last time.)

Have only run my 5 mile route once since last month and got my pace down to 8:22 from 8:40, and I wasn't even that tired from that. This is due to starting to run trails last week, the hill work does wonders for your muscles and stamina. Also can now do 5 consecutive pull-ups and am within an inch of reaching the floor with my wall-supported hand stand push ups. Good stuff!

Now, my challenge is that we have 2 weeks off boot camp, so I will have to keep things up on my own. Wish me luck!

Summary:
Starting Stats weight: 137.7 BF: 31%
11 1/2 weeks weight: 122.6 BF: 18.8%

Wow igsoy and C_G, you guys rock! Great results and determination!

Igsoy, I am really impressed with the 8:22 run! That's super fast! When I used to run, I did like pitiful 10 or 11 minute miles.

They are offering a boot camp at the YMCA in August but I'm going out of town part of August, so I'll have to miss it (darn!). Seems like every time they offer it I am going out of town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom