IV Sedation vs. Nitrous Oxide?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
My last invasive dental procedures were done with nitrous oxide which worked out well for me and allowed me to proceed without breaking out in a panic.

I've moved to another part of the country where it seems IV sedation is offered in lieu of nitrous.

I've never had IV sedation.

If anyone has experience, can you describe? If you've had both, even better - how do they compare?

Thanks

I just had the IV sedation for my implant. Was out like a light, didn't feel a thing.

Which is exactly what I wanted to have a tooth pulled and a hole drilled in my head and a post implanted.

You will need a ride home, can't drive for 24 hours after.

Neither for me. Just freeze everything and proceed with a mouth full of implants. I did have an excruciating headache from the experience.

Wouldn’t that be the same as what they call conscious sedation? That’s what they use for things like colonoscopies. I just had an endoscopy where they used it and like Robbie, the lights were out. Just like I like it. Woke up and everything was done. The only concern I would have is that the dental team is well educated in the process. Not sure how to verify that.

The only IV sedation I have had was when I had Wisdom teeth removed. I had gum numbing shots(whatever it's called) for my 3 implants. It didn't hurt.... I just felt some pressure from the procedure. And I was able to drive home.

I have nothing against IV sedation. It works well, with no side effects that I can detect. But while I always enjoyed WhipIts, they occasionally made me feel a little funky.

I tired Nitrous but never an IV. Novocaine works just fine for me. I don't want to go to sleep and I do want to be able to drive to and from the dentist immediately. But that's me.

I've had both. Nitrous is a good cocktail, IV is being unconscious.

Nitrous could be considered the “lighter” of the two. If that has proven satisfactory in the past, I would not escalate to a deeper level of sedation (with more inherent risks). Assuming the two procedures are similar.

I'd be hesitant to have IV conscious sedation without an anesthesiologist.

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to have IV conscious sedation without an anesthesiologist.
Me too. My doctor accidentally double dosed someone and lost the patient. His license was suspended for a while and he no longer does these kinds of procedures.

For dental work, avoid the IV unless it is monitored by an anesthesiologist. For colonoscopy, go to a doctor that partners with an anesthesiologist.

Last edited:
Like RobbieB, I've had IV sedation for implants and I love it. I drop off in mid-sentence and when I wake up it's over. There are extra costs because my oral surgeon brings in an anaesthesiologist and I need a driver, but it's worth it. No after-effects at all.

I had IV sedation for both the pulling of my tooth and the subsequent implant. He couldn't do them at the same time due to bone graft needed time to heal.
My oral surgeon had me hooked up to monitors, had one nurse watching me and his dental assistant helping him, so I felt it was safe.

I can handle novocaine for root canals, but not the other two.

I had IV sedation for both the pulling of my tooth and the subsequent implant. He couldn't do them at the same time due to bone graft needed time to heal.
My oral surgeon had me hooked up to monitors, had one nurse watching me and his dental assistant helping him, so I felt it was safe.

I can handle novocaine for root canals, but not the other two.

I'm going for round two on my implant on Monday. Had IV Sedation late last year for the extraction and will have it again Monday for the implant. It's the only way my oral surgeon does it and I'm not mad about it. Dental Insurance through the VA is covering most of the cost for the IV Sedation. Suddenly wake up with a wad of cotton dressing in your mouth and home you go via designated driver.

I've always just had blocks for wisdom teeth, root canals and implants and worked very well for me. Light IV sedation for colonoscopy but MD said I could likely do without next time as scope was so straightforward. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't be too keen on IV sedation unless I knew anaesthesia or someone with good airway and resuscitation skills was close at hand.

3 wisdom teeth extracted and the IV sedation was fantastic. I worry about it 'cause there is always one out of (pick a number - maybe 40,000) that never wake up for no apparent reason. Just because. But it was worth the risk as I simply went out and woke up almost wide awake full of local anesthetic. Got a ride home and took a single oxy for pain. That was it (other than rigorous wound lavage for several days.) I would consider it, but YMMV.

I had my implant surgery completed today so if everything heals as planned I'll be ready for the new tooth/crown/whatever in 4 months by my normal dentist.

I was given nitrous while they setup and drew blood and then had IV Sedation for the main event.

To keep myself entertained, I paid close attention to see if I could ascertain just exactly when the lights went out but no such luck. The last thing I remember is the doctor asked me a question about my wisdom tooth while his assistant placed a bite block in my mouth so I couldn't answer him. Next thing I knew I was being walked to another room for recovery before DGF drove me home. In and out in under 1.5 hours with no residual pain due to the local anesthesia given.

I've done the local anesthetic for wisdom tooth removal before. No thanks.

I've done the local anesthetic for wisdom tooth removal before. No thanks.

Yeah, I did one that way. Years later, the other 3 were with sedation. Sedation is 1000% better but YMMV.

The benefit I see with sedation is that your jaw relaxes. When a procedure takes a long time and you're awake you might freeze up the jaw. My jaw freezes with a general cleaning unless I take breaks.

The benefit I see with sedation is that your jaw relaxes. When a procedure takes a long time and you're awake you might freeze up the jaw. My jaw freezes with a general cleaning unless I take breaks.

Mine too. I’ve always assumed it from having hyper flexible joints.

Back
Top Bottom