Joining the Hernia Club

I laughed when I saw Al and hernia. Just cannot get Weird Al's "Living With a Hernia" out of my mind now hehe.

Good luck with the Surgery Al!

My BIL just had the inguinal hernia day surgery. He will have to take it easy for a couple of weeks. I told him he would have to give up the lap dances in those gentlemen's clubs for a while as well. He laughed.

2soon

I'm posting for TromboneAl. Thanks, he says it went very well. In a lot of pain yesterday, but it's rapidly getting better. He's on two Vicodins right now, and says that it's good to have something happen to make sure one doesn't take one's good health for granted.

Also this: He's been banned from the forum, and it's pretty depressing for him to be cut off from his Internet buddies, especially now since he can't be out surfing and chopping firewood. Perhaps some pressure could be exerted to get him back on -- all he did was post a poll (twice) about how the forum members think the forum should be run. Thanks. He can be reached at AlJazzGuy@gmail.com.

I'm posting for TromboneAl. Thanks, he says it went very well. In a lot of pain yesterday, but it's rapidly getting better. He's on two Vicodins right now, and says that it's good to have something happen to make sure one doesn't take one's good health for granted.

Also this: He's been banned from the forum, and it's pretty depressing for him to be cut off from his Internet buddies, especially now since he can't be out surfing and chopping firewood. Perhaps some pressure could be exerted to get him back on -- all he did was post a poll (twice) about how the forum members think the forum should be run. Thanks. He can be reached at AlJazzGuy@gmail.com.

Hey Al, you aren't banned. We still love you. I'm glad to hear the surgery went fine. Really though, you can't get on as TromboneAl?

No he can't. He gets "Server too busy" error messages on his machine, but if he hides his IP address through an anonymizer, he can view the forum, but if he tries to post anything, he gets a message saying he's not allowed to post.

Would you please let Al know that it's being looked into? And tell him to feel better soon :)

Many "anonymizers" prohibit pass through posting to boards because of past abuses by miscreants. I'll bet thats what you're seeing.

I got a few 'server too busys' from time to time over the past week.

I just reset the web server (went to a movie). The server has been running pretty heavy since I had to squeeze some more sites onto it in order to be able to bring down the other servers to send to the new data center. The other servers that were sent down will be online this weekend and i can move off the trouble site right away.

On 2 Vicodins must have had to really do some manipulating him inside even with the laproscopic procedure. It will get better every day. Good luck TAL.

OK, I'm back. Some things are funny/fishy about what happened concerning the forum.

Yesterday, when I tried to get on, Firefox would simply say "Waiting for early-retirement.org...", or there'd be a long delay followed by nothing, I'd get a 404 error, or I'd get the server busy message.

I'd try again every few hours, with the same result. Just figured the forum was down.

Then, one time when I tried, I was able to get through, but with long delays. I could see from the times of the different posts, that other people weren't having problems. Also, there weren't any posts talking about problems getting on.

So, I tried using an anonymizer, and I got on immediately, no delays. I tried posting, and could not. That's when I concluded (taken together with the fact that hours before I had twice posted a poll about how the forum should be run that was deleted by the administrator), that I had been banned.

Guess I was wrong, but was it just a coincidence that I could get on easily if I masked my IP address or tried from another computer?

In any case, I may have a solution to problems like this, which I hope to unveil today.

Now if I can only get my digestive system to stop being on strike from the surgery!

Then, one time when I tried, I was able to get through, but with long delays. I could see from the times of the different posts, that other people weren't having problems. Also, there weren't any posts talking about problems getting on.

So, I tried using an anonymizer, and I got on immediately, no delays. I tried posting, and could not. That's when I concluded (taken together with the fact that hours before I had twice posted a poll about how the forum should be run that was deleted by the administrator), that I had been banned.

Guess I was wrong, but was it just a coincidence that I could get on easily if I masked my IP address or tried from another computer?
Now if I can only get my digestive system to stop being on strike from the surgery!

Al,

Glad your surgery is over and done with. Best wishes for a fast recovery.

I'm no computer expert, but FWIW I have occasionally had seemingly random problem signing on here and another vBulletin board I occasionally visit and have confirmed that others did not. While I can't explain why, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a conspiracy ;).

I checked the Ban list when this first arose, and at no time did I see your name on it. If it had been, I would have been among the first to react on your behalf.

Anyhow, get well and don't play the trombone this week.

Al - did you try IE instead of firefox when you had the problem? I've seen a few cases where firefox got into some kind of snit and I had to restart it...same approximate symptoms.

I'm not about to spend any time digging into which apps use which protocols, but perhaps you were having an intermittent router problem somewhere in your area, the anonymizer had a better 'path' to the server and was using TCP instead of UDP for the session between you and the anonymizer.

Firefox has had some issues the past few weeks. i am getting popups some programs will not work. I am using opera or IE and waiting to see if Firefox can get itself together.

getting the GI tract to work again. Milk Of Magnesia. Just take a big @ss dose and wait. It will erupt and you will feel better.

OK, I'm back.
Welcome back! I understand that it's not the surgery, but probably the vicodin and any other drugs that are messing with your system. You know: you've got everything laid back and relaxed with those medicaments. Anyways, I used that as an excuse to consume 200 grams of premium chocolate a day in the first week after my surgery.

They gave me a prescription for 60 Vicodin pills! I took about five before I decided they weren't worth the side effects, and they weren't making me high anyway.

They gave me a prescription for 60 Vicodin pills! I took about five before I decided they weren't worth the side effects, and they weren't making me high anyway.
I think I can see how Craigslist became so popular in your area...

They gave me Vicodin several years ago for excruciating lower back pain; I didn't like it, it messed with my sleep/dreams.

Back on topic for a minute, if you or the surgeon weren't able to identify a specific cause then how do you avoid a recurrence? Is the repair considered to be stronger, weaker, or the same as the rest of the abdominal wall? And is there a warranty on the surgery?

Or are you stuck with Dr. Groucho Marx's advice:
"Doctor, it hurts when I play the trombone!"
"Well, don't do that anymore!!"

Back on topic for a minute, if you or the surgeon weren't able to identify a specific cause then how do you avoid a recurrence? Is the repair considered to be stronger, weaker, or the same as the rest of the abdominal wall? And is there a warranty on the surgery?

Or are you stuck with Dr. Groucho Marx's advice:
"Doctor, it hurts when I play the trombone!"
"Well, don't do that anymore!!"

I know they used to use Gore-tex mesh in the repairs area. Reminded me of the drywall mesh I used for repairs. If the Goretex works as well as drywall mesh, I'd say Trombone Al is the $6 million dollar man......:)

Right. My first question to the doc at my follow-up appointment will be "Am I better than new now?" I'm expecting the answer is "Yes," since with the mesh and the scar tissue it will produce, I'll bet there will be no future breakthroughs. Recurrence rate is < 1%.

The surgeon said they were "pretty major defects," so there's that to be proud of.

Click here for a weird video of laparoscopy hernia repair. Don't watch this if you're going to have the surgery done. I say "weird" because it sounds like there's some toddler running around in the operating room.

Right. My first question to the doc at my follow-up appointment will be "Am I better than new now?" I'm expecting the answer is "Yes," since with the mesh and the scar tissue it will produce, I'll bet there will be no future breakthroughs. Recurrence rate is < 1%.

The surgeon said they were "pretty major defects," so there's that to be proud of.

Click here for a weird video of laparoscopy hernia repair. Don't watch this if you're going to have the surgery done. I say "weird" because it sounds like there's some toddler running around in the operating room.

I just loved my surgeon telling me after oh we found this and that when we went in there. Fixed something else yada yada yada. Hope you are feeling better. Take a walk as far as you can today. Go a bit further each and everyday for the next week.

Welcome back, Al, and congrats on having the surgery behind. FWIW I had two of them repaired (at different times) and neither one of them gave me any trouble, and it's been 30 years for one, 15 for the other. I did have some minor and sporadic cramping pain in the area for up to a year, but nothing bad.

Had mine done, about three years ago. Found three hernias, instead of just one. No problems since. Worst part was the "shaving," in prep for the surgery. Geez, what a humiliation!!

They did the lap procedure and inserted some mesh. I didn't have any problems, except for having to learn a new way, to get in and out of bed.

Back
Top Bottom