Just FYI, I survived surgery.

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Walked the 4 blocks home in icy Chicago this aft, after I survived the 8 hour Wednesday operation and 11 overall operation room stay. Should have taken 2-5 hours or so, but there were complications.

I had a great doctor. He worked on me for 8 hours and then came back on his day off to confirm that pathoglogy confirmed cancer and what type.

I feel lucky. I finally asked him how many of these operations he had done, "60 ish". My Emergency Contact said he seemed to genuinely care about doing a good job for me.

Thanks to all who passed on good thoughts. It really helped.

OldAgePensioner said:
Walked the 4 blocks home in icy Chicago this aft, after I survived the 8 hour Wednesday operation and 11 overall operation room stay. Should have taken 2-5 hours or so, but there were complications.

I had a great doctor. He worked on me for 8 hours and then came back on his day off to confirm that pathoglogy confirmed cancer and what type.

I feel lucky. I finally asked him how many of these operations he had done, "60 ish". My Emergency Contact said he seemed to genuinely care about doing a good job for me.

Thanks to all who passed on good thoughts. It really helped.

OAP, it's great to hear from you. And it's a relief to know they left enough of you to still be able to post. ;) But Holey Moley, why not treat yourself to a cab ride home? Or were you so happy to get out of that place you would have walked 4 blocks in the ice and snow to...er, nevermind. I guess you did just that! Anyhow, welcome back and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

REW

OldAgePensioner said:
Walked the 4 blocks home in icy Chicago this aft, after I survived the 8 hour Wednesday operation and 11 overall operation room stay.

Horrrrray OAP!

I knew you could do it. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery,

BUM :)

Glad to hear of the good medical services. Hope you recover soon.

Yakers, originally a Chicago boy and knows what that cold & wind can do.

REW, Thanks.
I was walking along holding my abdomen like it might fall off, so I decided not to try to struggle into the back seat of a cab.  Funny how the body feels like it could rip open when you are in pain.

BUM,
The recovery better go quickly because I want a glass of chardonnay and some rich food.

Yakers,
I kept looking down at the sidewalk and hoping no to slip.

Glad you are on the mend OAP,  I'm sure that first "real meal" is going to be great!
And may you have thousands more :)

OldAgePensioner said:
The recovery better go quickly because I want a glass of chardonnay and some rich food.

Well if you want the wine and food, you must at least be feeling pretty good!

Glad you are home. I advise you not to read the Funny Joke Thursday thread until you can safely laugh.
:)

Way to go, OAP. Hope the elevator only goes up. And you walked 4 blocks. I know 20-year olds who won't/can't do that. Good luck!

Hey OAP: I was going to tell you a "filthy" story to cheer you up, but Martha's probably right,
don't want you popping your stitches. ;)

Hope all goes well in recovery. (No fun, huh?) :p

Hip hip Hooray. That was a long surgery! Hope all goes well from here on.

Bruce

Good luck with your recovery OAP.  I can't help feeling that it is a good sign that you decided to walk home.

MB

Thanks for the good thoughts one and all.

Got to say this and you had to be there to understand. I had more women looking at me naked in the last 4 days than in the past 40 years. But the catheter was duly marked x-large. :D

I had doubts on Wednesday night about whether I would survive the night. My heart was having a very hard time taking the trauma to my body. Thursday was a drug induced survival but by Friday, I realized how well the surgeon had performed and how many others on the ward were having a very hard time of it.

One lucky due.

OAP

Glad to hear from you and hope your recovery is swift.

Regards,
Joe

Great to hear all went well. For heaven's sake don't be hesitant to ask for visiting nurse services . I have a "old beau" who is a general surgeon with a cancer focus. He too really cares about his patients but surgeons really focus on the mechanics, not the total picture.

Because you live alone it is important to assure that you have folks checking in on you several times a day.

Glad to hear things went well, OAP. DW and I are relieved and wish you a speedy recovery. :D

I'm glad to hear that's overwith and you're back home OAP!
Take care, and heal fast!

I glad to hear from you. I pray for your 100% recovery. Soon it'll be just another war story, you'll be telling friends many years from now.

MJ

Wonderful news OAP, sounds like you were well cared for and have a dr that most of us hope to have if we need one.

Glad you are doing well. I must have missed an earlier post about surgery as I didn't realize you were sick. Will any treatments be required?

Very good news, OAP.  Hope you are back in the saddle soon.  Please do yourself a favor and get a visiting nurse service.  The biggest difference in post-surgery outcomes is quality and quantity of nursing service.

OAP,
I am so glad that you are back home with your sense of humor intact. Take care and get your rest so that you can bounce back that much sooner. How fotunate that you live in a city with some of the best food available to you. After what you've been through, it'll taste that much better. :)

Best regards,
LL

Hey, OAP, glad to hear you are on the mend. Here's wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Wow, great news OAP!

Wishing you a speedy, bump free recovery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom