Katrina debate is over

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
JG: The big picture for me is seeing an ego that just can?t quit, especially the self-reinforcing part. And this ego holds one of the worst hypocrisies I have ever seen: You proclaim that you live in a dog-eat-dog world, where only the strong survive or get ahead. And your force of intelligence makes you the big winner. You spout your cynical-apathy regarding politics and the stupidity of everyone except you?survival of the fittest?which, of course, is you again.

You have said that you have leached off your wife and friends and family in the past. You see this as smart. You are planning to collect Social Security and see that as simply taking advantage of a chaotic and irreversibly sick government. The list goes on forever for you. That?s all you see, some advantage for yourself, some advantage for you if you?re nice to your wife, etc. Pitiful almost.

I see things differently. When you use your wife?s money to help you visit Texas, I see a kind and benevolent woman who does something out of care, concern, and, perhaps, even love. When you eat your parent?s food and loutishly come to this message board to ?honestly? proclaim the advantage you took of them, I see a kind and gentle mother helping her son enjoy a small part of the day with them. Even your public goings on show your stupidity: you bad mouth the local government units that provided you with roads to get to fishing locations, sidewalks to walk the dog, streetlights so that you can see at night and help with crime, and sewers that carry away your refuse. These were often built with tax payer dollars provided by citizens who voluntarily wanted to bring a better life to everyone?even you. Perhaps they weren?t benevolent tax payers, but they were tax payers who thought that civilization and order is better than a dog-eat-dog world, a world of brutal thoughts and behaviors.

Even when you drive your car, you are depending on the orderliness, goodwill, lawfulness of 99.9% of the other drivers 99.9% of the time. But you don?t see that. You see the one miserable driver that doesn?t want to follow the rules and show goodwill. You end up seeing the worst in everyone or thinking the worst about everyone. No wonder guns are so important to you and the final arbiter of all actions

You feed off this stuff, this kindness, this orderliness, this general love and benevolence of all other human beings. Without it, you would have nothing; and yet you don?t see the better half of life, the human side. You stick your head into a dumpster looking for a typewriter that some ?fool? didn?t know was worth twenty dollars and then don?t recognize that you are only there and doing what you do because of the benevolence and goodwill of the property and dumpster owner.

I had a tenant once with an IQ of about 60-70 and a brain filled with cysts. Even he knew that the government and people were good most of time and were helping him. He made the connection.

So, am I wrong in how I see you? :)

--Greg

It sure does reveal alot about him. These are the type of people that I would love to have as friends and neighbors. :)

LL

mikew said:
IMHO it seems like she was trying to say something nice but was filtered through whatever and came out this way.

No one (on either side of the political fence) wants the truth when a soundbite will do. That's just life here at "Short Attention Span Theatre"

JG:  The big picture for me is seeing an ego that just can’t quit, especially the self-reinforcing part.  And this ego holds one of the worst hypocrisies I have ever seen:  You proclaim that you live in a dog-eat-dog world, where only the strong survive or get ahead.  And your force of intelligence makes you the big winner.  You spout your cynical-apathy regarding politics and the stupidity of everyone except you—survival of the fittest—which, of course, is you again.

You have said that you have leached off your wife and friends and family in the past.  You see this as smart.  You are planning to collect Social Security and see that as simply taking advantage of a chaotic and irreversibly sick government.  The list goes on forever for you.  That’s all you see, some advantage for yourself, some advantage for you if you’re nice to your wife, etc.  Pitiful almost.

I see things differently.  When you use your wife’s money to help you visit Texas, I see a kind and benevolent woman who does something out of care, concern, and, perhaps, even love.  When you eat your parent’s food and loutishly come to this message board to “honestly” proclaim the advantage you took of them, I see a kind and gentle mother helping her son enjoy a small part of the day with them.  Even your public goings on show your stupidity:  you bad mouth the local government units that provided you with roads to get to fishing locations, sidewalks to walk the dog, streetlights so that you can see at night and help with crime, and sewers that carry away your refuse.  These were often built with tax payer dollars provided by citizens who voluntarily wanted to bring a better life to everyone—even you.  Perhaps they weren’t benevolent tax payers, but they were tax payers who thought that civilization and order is better than a dog-eat-dog world, a world of brutal thoughts and behaviors.

Even when you drive your car, you are depending on the orderliness, goodwill, lawfulness of 99.9% of the other drivers 99.9% of the time.  But you don’t see that.  You see the one miserable driver that doesn’t want to follow the rules and show goodwill.  You end up seeing the worst in everyone or thinking the worst about everyone.  No wonder guns are so important to you and the final arbiter of all actions

You feed off this stuff, this kindness, this orderliness, this general love and benevolence of all other human beings.  Without it, you would have nothing; and yet you don’t see the better half of life, the human side.  You stick your head into a dumpster looking for a typewriter that some ‘fool’ didn’t know was worth twenty dollars and then don’t recognize that you are only there and doing what you do because of the benevolence and goodwill of the property and dumpster owner. 

I had a tenant once with an IQ of about 60-70 and a brain filled with cysts.  Even he knew that the government and people were good most of time and were helping him.  He made the connection.

So, am I wrong in how I see you? :)

--Greg     

Greg:

This is the fourth long post I've read from you in the past couple of days. often hold the same perspective but am unable to as proficiently and diplomatically articulate it. I'm glad you're retired and spend the time to share with us your thoughts. You and Martha must have some great discussions.

First off, this is a major tragedy and we need to help all of the people....

And from what I heard this morning, 1/3 of the people have already left the Dome or convention center etc.

But, FEMA rented two cruise ships for these people to live for a long time... AND NOBODY WANTED TO GO!!! They could have their own room, own shower etc etc... but think they would not get as much as they are now where they are at.

They have interviewed a number of the people and they were 'street people' and are doing better with all of the 'stuff' they are getting, but there is still a big percent of just poor people who would much rather be back in their homes as it was prior to Katrina.

My point is both things are happening, people having it better and people having it worse.

JG: The big picture for me is seeing an ego that just can’t quit, especially the self-reinforcing part. And this ego holds one of the worst hypocrisies I have ever seen: You proclaim that you live in a dog-eat-dog world, where only the strong survive or get ahead. And your force of intelligence makes you the big winner. You spout your cynical-apathy regarding politics and the stupidity of everyone except you—survival of the fittest—which, of course, is you again.

I think theres a line in here thats an analog to that whole thing about losing money on every sale but making it up on volume...

If all "john" has left is spending all day long telling people he'll never meet how great he used to be, maybe we should just let him have that ;)

All around bad judgement on my part. Where are my glasses?

--Greg

All around bad judgement on my part.  Where are my glasses?

--Greg

Hope you find 'em. They won't help.

JG

JG: I really am done now. And I shouldn't have been so nasty. We should have just had a knock down drag out argument regarding what 'survival of the fittest' really means. Now it's too late because you already know my conclusion. :)

--Greg

JG:  I really am done now.  And I shouldn't have been so nasty.  We should have just had a knock down drag out argument regarding what 'survival of the fittest' really means.  Now it's too late because you already know my conclusion.  :)

--Greg

Don't worry about it. When you dish it out in the volume that I do,
you have to able to take the punches. It's no problem for me. Truly.

JG

Back
Top Bottom