Laptop Advice, Please

Most of my working life was spent with a large IT vendor so I was not predisposed to Apple. Not until we bought my son an Apple Pro (that is what he wanted to replace his PC). Then we travelled with an Ipad for nine months.

Now I am sold. May not wait for my laptop or my desktop to crap out. I no longer need the laptop for travel....too heavy, too slow, too everything compared to the Ipad.

The only think that I did not like was not being able to shop and price. With Apple, the price is the price. Hate that. You can get an edu discount if you know a student or teacher etc.

I have not used any Mac, due to my past work life that required a PC. However, I did once look at a Macbook Air and was amazed at its physical characteristics.

From this thread, I learned about the Lenovo Yoga that Katsmeow mentioned. It's just as thin and as light. Just wonderful. At a cursory look, the Yoga has a more powerful CPU and a far better resolution, whatever that's worth to a user. The Yoga is not cheap either.

So, it is back to whether one likes Apple IOS or Windows.

Last edited:
Me too. Each version of Windows that Microsoft comes out with seems to be more troublesome than the prior version. I have used a Mac for just over a year now and can't imagine going backwards now.
After a lifetime of MSDOS & Win PCs, I can imagine buying a MacBook Pro with Office software one day...

To each their own. I will stick with non-apple. Price is a big part of that and the whole apple cult thing. Not bashing, I know many love them....just not for me.

Enjoy!

I'm still driving an old Lenovo G550 - been fabulous for my needs. Never use it on my lap though, it sits on a TableMate classic (as seen on TV) that fits nicely around the swivel base of my recliner. I had a pair of bifocals made such that the line coincides with the top of the laptop screen and the bottom of the TV. Couch-potato heaven! :)

I was a Mac advocate for many years - even to the point of butting heads with our IT department to get a Mac (I did). In the mid 1990s I transitioned to Win at work and then later at home. While the Mac is a fine machine, IMO it isn't heads and tails better then Win like it was early on - Win has caught up in terms of functionality and ease of use.

The version of Quicken for Mac is horrible compared to the Windows version.

If you spend the same $ that you would spend on a MacBook Air on a Win ultra-book you would have two fine machines - both lightweight, fast and good battery life.

Please let us know how you like this once you have had it for a bit. For what it's worth, definitely not much to the OP here, this is machine that I decided was best for my purposes a while back. (Being cheap, I did not buy and am still making do with a much older laptop and no tablet.)

I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel). And, this machine did not have great docking station options the last time I looked (typed from docked laptop on real keyboard with dual monitors going).

Honestly, for what you want to do an i5 processor would be just fine. At same price point I would gladly forgo i7 processor in favor of a better (sharper, brighter) screen. My stable of computers inc Mac (back to OS 9 to run a few old things) & Win. While all the current Mac laptop screens are fine (retina is awesome!), some of the cheaper Windows displays are marginal even at the same indicated resolutions. Try to compare screens in person before you buy. I have an entry-level Fujitsu 15" that gives me much more eye strain than my 7yr old MacBook Pro despite having better "stats" for screen resolution.

I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel). And, this machine did not have great docking station options the last time I looked (typed from docked laptop on real keyboard with dual monitors going).

The Yoga2 has Intel's wireless display.
How to Connect a Mobile Device to TV Wirelessly ? Intel® WiDi
Connect the mouse/keyboard via bluetooth.

I have made do at home with an aging netbook that has some issues with the screen, but which is adequate for surfing on the couch. Since I am bailing in January it is unlikely this will do it, especially since I want to be capable of picking up contract or freelance work. I know I will want Office, but I don't care about a touch screen. The other thing that will be important is the ability to efficiently deal with video. We were given a small projector that works well to watch movies on the basement wall and movie night has quickly become a favorite of the kids. What specs do I need? What processor? What is the cheapest way to get what I need without cutting too many corners?
I would think a lot about my "usage model". From what you've said:
1) Browsing the web on couch
2) Running Office
3) Running Video

I'll bet there are other uses you have not considered. When you bail in January they may become more evident. And about Office, are we talking light usage or massive spreadsheets?

Anyway, I can only really talk about my usage model with any authority. I've found my little Nexus 7 (7 inch screen table, $229) is really nice for couch surfing. Might depend a bit on one's eyesight though.

Then I walk over to my PC with the big screen for real typing and spreadsheet work. Nowadays that could be replaced with a laptop that docks into the bigger screen. But I'd want a laptop that has great battery life. Too many people buy these mobile things and wind up tethered to the power cord. The Haswell processor line sounds like it might be the ticket. Maybe consider buying an extra battery for the laptop so there is always a spare -- however, some manufacturers recommend storing batteries at 50% of power.

There were Apple and even Microsoft stores close to us that I enjoyed visiting before I bought my Nexus 7. Also Best Buy is fun. One might bring some files on a memory stick to have real files to look at. Doing the homework can be fun.

I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel).

I'll let you know how it turns out. I handled one at Best Buy (they had none in stock so I ordered from Lenovo with a coupon which got me down to the BB price) and it seemed great.

Philosophically, I've always looked for the holy grail of the one device to rule them all. Practically, I have found that it really doesn't exist. So I do have a desktop (Falcon NW Tiki which is great), a table (iPad third generation), and an iphone and - soon - Yoga 2 Pro.

I have gotten more reconciled to multiple devices when I recently read an article that basically said that it really is impossible to find one device that meets all the needs. This article was taking the position that - in time - the one device will be for those who can't afford to have more than one device so the compromises are accepted. On the other hand, those who can afford specialized devices to meet each individual need will be more likely to go for those. I think that is about right for the future. Of course, plenty of people don't actually do things that such that they have any need for specialized devices. The person who only uses the internet to consume media and do casual web searches may not need a desktop at all, for example.

I have gotten more reconciled to multiple devices when I recently read an article that basically said that it really is impossible to find one device that meets all the needs. This article was taking the position that - in time - the one device will be for those who can't afford to have more than one device so the compromises are accepted. On the other hand, those who can afford specialized devices to meet each individual need will be more likely to go for those. I think that is about right for the future. Of course, plenty of people don't actually do things that such that they have any need for specialized devices. The person who only uses the internet to consume media and do casual web searches may not need a desktop at all, for example.
Yeah, as I mentioned in a thread I started back in March, I was debating whether to replace my dead desktop with another desktop or a laptop. I was leaning toward the desktop because of reasons stated in this article mentioned by another ER poster.

But now I'm reconsidering, as I don't do intense video editing or high-powered gaming, so a (more mobile) laptop may be the better choice. Still undecided. I'm in the market for a new desktop or laptop but I'm in no hurry, as my present laptop is working just fine...for now.

Yeah, as I mentioned in a thread I started back in March, I was debating whether to replace my dead desktop with another desktop or a laptop. I was leaning toward the desktop because of reasons stated in this article mentioned by another ER poster.

But now I'm reconsidering, as I don't do intense video editing or high-powered gaming, so a (more mobile) laptop may be the better choice. Still undecided. I'm in the market for a new desktop or laptop but I'm in no hurry, as my present laptop is working just fine...for now.

Like you, I have been considering not replacing my desktop computer when it croaks. I have been purposely not using it for several years, except as a redundant storage device, and honestly I don't miss it. Laptops have become so powerful in recent years, that I think mine can do whatever I want. My laptop is fine for gaming, for example (although I do most of my gaming through dedicated consoles). My iPad provides me with alternate internet access when needed, and so far I have not really discovered any reason to buy another desktop when my present 2005 vintage desktop bites the dust.

If price is your major concern I would consider off lease/reconditioned units from Dell. I have purchased for my own use or family member use or company use 1 desktop unit and 4 laptops from Dell Auction. The best units to bid on are over a holiday weekend or those going off bid late on a FRI or SAT night. Not much last minute bidding competition from my experience. All units have looked better than I expected re: condition. All units are just a step behind the lastest/greatest (i.e. running Windows XP pro or 7 Pro vs. 8.) Really a lot of power for the dollar. The last one I have purchased is i5 processor. For "light weight" use I use a Google Nexus 7 2nd Generation due to screen quality and easy to pack/hold. Good luck on your search.

I mentioned in another related thread earlier this year that the motherboard of my desktop had died, and that the PC repairer recommended I buy a new computer with all the current bells and whistles rather than try to revive my dying dinosaur of a PC.

So, in the meantime, as I deciding whether to get a new desktop or laptop, I mentioned that my old laptop was working just fine as my home PC.

Wouldn't you know it? Now my laptop is on the blink--the screen is black whenever I turn it on. I've Googled this and that about why my laptop screen is black/dead, but can't find a definitive answer. I pulled out my old desktop monitor and attached it to my laptop, and that works fine. I can view my laptop stuff. Any ideas of what I should do next?

Which, getting to the point of this thread, I am now even more convinced I should not buy a latest/greatest $1,000 laptop with i7, etc., but something cheaper and simpler for my out-of home purposes. Which are to do lots of writing and surf the Net, and not be that concerned if it is stolen (cause I'm not gonna put personal financial stuff on it).

Hmmm

Last edited:
Wouldn't you know it? Now my laptop is on the blink--the screen is black whenever I turn it on. I've Googled this and that about why my laptop screen is black/dead, but can't find a definitive answer. I pulled out my old desktop monitor and attached it to my laptop, and that works fine. I can view my laptop stuff. Any ideas of what I should do next?

Which, getting to the point of this thread, I am now even more convinced I should not buy a latest/greatest $1,000 laptop with i7, etc., but something cheaper and simpler for my out-of home purposes. Which are to do lots of writing and surf the Net, and not be that concerned if it is stolen (cause I'm not gonna put personal financial stuff on it).

Hmmm

It could be a variety of things on the screen. I remember once having a notebook where the cables between the computer and the screen became unattached in some way which caused the display not to work. Could be something like that. Mine was still under warranty at the time so I had it repaired. If your notebook is no longer under warranty you could take it to a computer shop, but it might not be fruitful and, if it is, the cost might exceed the worth of the notebook.

If you don't do gaming or high end calculations an i7 is overkill. An i5 or even possibly an i3 will be fine for the uses you mention. I would probably still want a Haswell processor (4th gen Intel) for a notebook because of better power management. If you run on battery all the time even that is optional.

Given your needs, though, you might do fine with a tablet and a keyboard. Typing on a tablet without a keyboard to do a lot of writing is problematical. However, tablets can use bluetooth keyboards. I have one (made by Logitech) that doubles as a cover. All of that said, I am not sure if I would rely only on a Tablet if I needed to use a full featured Word Processor. In that event then a notebook might be better.

Given your needs, though, you might do fine with a tablet and a keyboard. Typing on a tablet without a keyboard to do a lot of writing is problematical. However, tablets can use bluetooth keyboards. I have one (made by Logitech) that doubles as a cover. All of that said, I am not sure if I would rely only on a Tablet if I needed to use a full featured Word Processor. In that event then a notebook might be better.

Spreadsheet work is almost impossible on a tablet.

Last time at Costco, I thought I saw some 15" or perhaps even 17" laptops for around $400. They will not be the lightest, nor last the longest on batteries, but nearly all of them will work well for the casual user.

Spreadsheet work is almost impossible on a tablet.

Oh, I agree. Birdie Num Nums was wanting something for writing (which I assumed to be text writing not spreadsheets) and web surfing. For someone doing a lot of spreadsheets I would want a notebook (or maybe a notebook that can convert to a tablet which is what I'm actually getting myself)

Last time at Costco, I thought I saw some 15" or perhaps even 17" laptops for around $400. They will not be the lightest, nor last the longest on batteries, but nearly all of them will work well for the casual user.
But that Dell XPS 8700 i7 desktop that Costco will have on sale for $700 Black Friday weekend looks like a winner--considering Costco's great concierge service. (I checked out a similar unit reviewed by PC Mag, with 2TB storage that I don't need, considering I have an external backup HD, for well over $1,200.) So, if I could get my laptop screen to work again, I'd use that as my on-the-road work processing PC until it fully dies, and could have a real powerful home desktop.

Decisions, decisions. What to do.

That's the first thing to do is check it with an external monitor. Since that works the graphics system should be ok. Next things are broken/loose video cable, bad LCD inverter, bad LCD screen. Note that some laptops don't use inverters. Some laptops have a switch that turns the LCD off when the lid closes, that can get stuck.

If you can see faint images on the LCD most likely is the inverter, some info here

The Symptom of the Laptop Screen Inverter Malfunction & Replacing Guide - laptoppartstore

I have replaced inverters and screens, many times like other PC repairs it's not worth the cost compared to a new one even though it is not difficult.

A new screen is ~$75, inverter ~ $15. Then there is labor cost if you don't do it yourself.

I guess I was lucky. My high end i7 Dell laptop completely fried, spectacularly, I might say, during the first week in October. This was only a day or two after I fainted and hit my head. I didn't feel like messing around, due to feeling scrambled from the head bump, and due to the fact that Frank had to drive me on my computer search.

So, with zero research I had him take me to Office Depot and immediately bought the i5 version of the Toshiba S55-A which was on sale for $450. I think that model was converted to the i7 because I don't see it available online with an i5 processor any more.

I am quite pleased with my new laptop.

There's a desktop Inspiron 660 at Dell for $550. It's an i5, but similar specs else.

It has Windows 7, too. I am leaning towards sticking with Win 7.

LOL- I just noticed my primary desktop still has XP!

I think the deal killer with a notebook is that the internal LCD will fail, but you do not know when.

Back
Top Bottom