Last move

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
Thinking about moving one last time - to a new single family home. Don’t know where yet. I’m 67, DW 68.

We have some elder care issues that prevent us from moving at this time. We tried to convince now 93 yo mil to move with us 3 years ago, but she wanted to stay put. DW will not leave her mom. MIL may be more open to a move now. Maybe not.

I’m trying to get an idea on how old would be too old for us to move to another single family home in another state.

Just wondering. For those of you who moved to your last single family home in retirement- how old were you when you moved and how far away did you move?

Thinking about moving one last time - to a new single family home. Don’t know where yet. I’m 67, DW 68.

We have some elder care issues that prevent us from moving at this time. We tried to convince now 93 yo mil to move with us 3 years ago, but she wanted to stay put. DW will not leave her mom. MIL may be more open to a move now. Maybe not.

I’m trying to get an idea on how old would be too old for us to move to another single family home in another state.

Just wondering. For those of you who moved to your last single family home in retirement- how old were you when you moved and how far away did you move?

We moved at 70 (DW) and 72 (me). We moved in a 55+ community of single family homes but only 5 miles away. We still hired a moving van and had the usual changes to make with respect to change of address, utilities, etc.

It was pretty easy, actually. :)

We threw out or gave away a crapload of "stuff" before we moved due to downsizing the house. But that was easy too.

We moved at 70 (DW) and 72 (me). We moved in a 55+ community of single family homes but only 5 miles away. We still hired a moving van and had the usual changes to make with respect to change of address, utilities, etc.

It was pretty easy, actually. :)

We threw out or gave away a crapload of "stuff" before we moved due to downsizing the house. But that was easy too.
Hmm. I guess your point is we all have choices.:)

We moved 750 miles from Chicagoland at age 65 & 63 respectively. Moving an entire household to a city/state where you’ve never lived and don’t know a single person takes some advance planning/homework. We’d both moved several times before, but this is the first time there wasn’t a megacorp paying. :( Fortunately we seem to have chosen very, very well - happy as clams after over 3 years. It took more than a month to really get everything unpacked and in its place and we spent a lot making the house our own the first year, but expenses are stable again. We also hope this is our last home/move.

Last edited:
I guess when your MIL is departed you'll have to make that decision then. You've shared a few posts here about much you enjoyed your AZ getaways.

My 2 cents on your age question is that depends. Depend on your motivation, your spouses motivation and physical condition of you both. I know your last moving attempt led to you selling your winter place in AZ which I don't think you replaced.. I was someone who had plans and has a spouse that appeared to be on board but really had other things he wanted to do. Yes that 74YO farmer I'm married to. I now realize he never wanted to or wants to move..

We ended up buying a summer place at a really nice lake resort up North but that wasn't even my second choice.

...I'm not one who moved that you talked about in your OP, but I'm one that didn't move so ignore if you want to.

Would you ever consider buying another seasonal place to enjoy? It's no fun playing a what if or when waiting game.

I moved just three miles from my last home into my "Dream Home" in 2015, when I was 67. I hired movers, but did all the packing, decluttering/downsizing/donating, and unpacking myself. I ended up having just 80 boxes for the movers to move, plus all my furniture other than the appliances. I probably donated an equal amount of stuff, and threw away about 2-3 times that amount of stuff.

I was surprised to find it was MUCH more physically difficult than I anticipated. I had a lot of bad falls, painful muscle cramps, bee stings, bad bruises and strains and sprains, threw my back out badly, you name it. My body was trashed! In the sense that I felt like a total wreck. I even thought I had a concussion after one super bad fall down a couple of stairs and onto my concrete driveway (where I hit my forehead hard) while carrying a full laundry basket, but didn't.

After that move I decided that if I ever move again, I'll take no more "stuff" than fits in the back of my Venza. I'll have the rest sold by an estate sale management company.

Then when I get to the hypothetical new place, I'll order all new stuff and have it delivered (slowly, not all at once), so that I don't have to do much of anything and can rest between deliveries. I think this also might help for somebody moving to a new state, as you are planning.

I am certain that if I need to move after age 80, my daughter will have to do everything for me and I will not be able to help in the slightest.

I noticed during our Hurricane Ida evacuation last year (at age 73), that even just driving to another state is far more difficult than it was 5-10 years prior. Don't want to be discouraging! If you need to move, you can do it. But be sure to hire enough help that you can enjoy the process.

We moved in February. I was 83 and DW was 78. It can be done if you are in reasonably good health.

Aye, aye, aye... I am not yet 70, and talk about moving makes me cringe.

But then, I have bought only 3 houses in my life, two of which I still own.

I guess I can move if my life depends on it.

Last edited:

We were age 62 and moved about 5k miles. We were careful to buy a house close to a bus route to GP offices, shops etc.

Over the last 5 years the 2 adult children have actually moved into the same small town as has my sister and her family.

Our original plan for RE in 2017 was to move from MI to land that we had bought in OH near a small town and built our last house. Approaching RE we realized that the town was just not where we wanted to relocate to. The interest was in being near Hocking Hills State Park which we enjoy, but the area was just too rural with limited services near by, and DW had a considerable circle of friends where we were. We sold the land, and instead we have extensively remodeled the house that we bought in MI in 1998.

Preparing to move to another state with a house build in progress. I am 68 and SO is 63. I hope it is my last move, but no one knows for sure. My move will be from Illinois to Tennessee.

Good Luck to you,

VW

We built our home the first year into retirement. Age 58 and 60. We moved about 250 miles from the town we lived in for 30 years. We think this is our forever home, but you never really know. We live on one level, have a lot of natural amenities out our door and yet we can still walk to downtown. We have more friends now than we did in the “big” city.

Moving is hard, no doubt about it, but it helps in many ways to sorta clean up your life - get rid of stuff, add new relationships. We are now in the house going on two years and we are finally feeling settled. It takes awhile to decorate and get the yard (all xeriscaped) to where you want it. I am not sure I would do it again soon, but we are happier than we ever have been.

If (when) we decide to move again, it will probably be to a mid sized city (100 to 250k pop) and hopefully into a smaller new home in an over 55 community or something similar. Who knows, by then we may even need to be in an assisted living community. (Gosh I hope not, but......). Regardless, we don't plan on bringing much stuff (but some) and just buy new over the first few weeks/months at the new place. I'll guess we take a lot of our clothes and maybe 10% of the personal things we have now. The old place will be sold furnished and "as is"... I'll let the new owner sort it out, have a garage sale, keep it, or throw it out as they wish.

Over the next few years I'll probably continue to slowly de-clutter anyway. Hard to toss stuff when you've been a hoarder all your life.

Last edited:
Car guy, no one wants to buy a house with a bunch of stuff in in it. You would have to sell it cheap and lose money for this to happen. Better to hire an estate company to buy it and take it all away. Most people won’t close on a house if it’s not empty.

We just moved cross country. We are 70 and in good health. We rent and this will not be our last move since we have to deal with stairs. We kept our bed, grandfather clock, and bedroom dressers. We have since purchased other furniture here. Rental has washer, dryer, fridge , lawn mowing, and repair services.

We moved to a larger city where we can bike, walk and bus everywhere. Lots of things to do from theaters, sports, college campus programs, ,health care,etc. Taxes are favorable too.

Have made some friends already bu reaching out to current friends and asking if the know people in our new city. That connection has been very helpful. Pickleball and the local health club has been good too.

The key reason for this move was the grandkids. So that has kept us active but just one element of our social life. Having said all this, we have made many moves. I suppose that has been helpful, at least for keeping our expectations in line.

Car guy, no one wants to buy a house with a bunch of stuff in in it. You would have to sell it cheap and lose money for this to happen. Better to hire an estate company to buy it and take it all away. Most people won’t close on a house if it’s not empty.

+1

Our first house after we got married, the former owner left all kinds of junk in the basement. I didn’t think much about it when we first moved in, then it slowly sank in that the previous owners just didn’t want to deal with it. In hindsight I would have insisted that the house be bare to the bones.

I've done it before (once) and it has worked for me and was actually pretty quick... I'm in no rush to sell, even after I buy the new place so it can sit for a year or more if needed. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind keeping it for recreational/retreat purposes for a while. If needed I can do as you suggest, or just give the stuff away or have a bonfire later.:) I just don't care!

Last edited:
We moved from near Washington, D.C. to WV, about 80 miles but a world away in traffic, prices, and culture. We like it much better than the DC area.

Although we are on a waiting list for a CCRC we are rethinking that as the prices of both admission and the monthly fees keep rising even faster than our COLA'd income so that is problematic.

At the moment we have no immediate plans to move but doing so will depend on health issues and how well we can keep up the house. At some point we'll probably have to move but we're not going to until we have to.

We're 61 and 63 and preparing for a 1500mile move this spring.
The process is practically killing us right now. Nothing we are trying to get rid of is selling (3 motorcycles, furniture, etc)... lots of people saying "thats a fantastic price" but nobody buying. Consignment shops aren't even returning phone calls. One homeless charity I used to donate "gifts in kind" to quit taking stuff... cash only.
Meanwhile the value of the house I'm currently in is dropping like a rock... per zillow it's down 25K since I started and it's still 3ish months until I can list it.
Oh well. It's only money. Normally my contribution to the "blow that dough" thread would be that I bought a new toothbrush... ;)

During my military career I had 12 PCS (permanent change of station) moves in 21 years. Plus a number of shorter assignments lasting from two to six months each. Believe it or not, household moves can become routine.

The only hard part was dealing with the considerable loss and theft of my possessions that occurred in every move. The government uses the lowest bidder on these, and you get what you pay for.

But I understand this was far from a typical military career, and is far from the normal civilian experience. I have great sympathy for those who struggle with them.

Can anyone address the psychological aspects of the "last move"? I lived in Ohio my first 25 years, NJ the second 25 and then to the Kansas City area. It almost sounds right to move to Des Moines where DS and DDIL live when I'm 75, maybe to Independent Living. That's a little over 5 years from now.

And yet... I have longstanding relationships at my church and a lot of my free time is church-related- being vestry warden, on Diocesan Council, preaching an occasional sermon... I'm involved in the HOA and the Garden Club. I know where to buy things when I want brick-and-mortar stores. I'd have to replace my dentist, my oral surgeon and my other doctors. That list isn't too long now but I'm sure it will grow. I'm also in a good relationship that we do NOT intend to lead to marriage or even cohabitation but I'd have to say goodbye to him (or any subsequent partner). I LOVE my house- more than any other one where I've lived.

Has it been difficult to adjust to a fresh start many miles away?

My military kid experience involved a yearly move from 63 until 67 it was awful..I don't know if frequent moving makes it easier or harder to move. I suspect it more individual personality then anything else

We're 61 and 63 and preparing for a 1500mile move this spring.
The process is practically killing us right now. Nothing we are trying to get rid of is selling (3 motorcycles, furniture, etc)... lots of people saying "thats a fantastic price" but nobody buying. Consignment shops aren't even returning phone calls. One homeless charity I used to donate "gifts in kind" to quit taking stuff... cash only.
Meanwhile the value of the house I'm currently in is dropping like a rock... per zillow it's down 25K since I started and it's still 3ish months until I can list it.
Oh well. It's only money. Normally my contribution to the "blow that dough" thread would be that I bought a new toothbrush... ;)
Hang in there. It will all be worth it.:)

We moved last year to what we believe will be our last home. A bit younger than you but we did it all on our own. If you have the funds the packing, moving and unpacking can be done by others. We have friends that did that. We have made friends in our neighborhood that moved here a couple years ago and he’s in his mid 70s she’s late 60s and brought her mother with with them who is in 90s. They did it all themselves as well including packing unpacking and a uhaul. It’s a matter of physical ability. We downsized as much as possible knowing we would buy new furniture for the house. Still some smaller items that we got rid of that I wished we would have kept. Harder in moving is everything linked to your current location that has to be changed. Also, along that line is logistics of selling house, buying or renting and timing of all that and a place to stay. Research your areas visit them and look at it as a new adventure. We are extremely happy with our decision.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I always thought that we would move after retirement. I know lots of folks do and just wondered how old they were when they moved.

I gather from the above posts that most if not all posters are happy that they moved when they did, even with work involved and unfamiliarity with the new place. As I get older, I increasingly wonder if the hassle of extreme decluttering, selling current house, buying new house, packing and moving is something I want to subject myself to. I could do it now, but I’m not sure if I would want to go through a move 5 years from now.

Back
Top Bottom