Let's make a list of current healthcare inefficiencies

We are with a Medicare Advantage health plan which includes a perscription drug plan. The drugs still cost us a lot as we both hit the donut hole this year. That's $2750 each (our cost plus their cost). I'm trying something different right now. I'm on Plavix which cost me $116 for a 90 day supply through my health plan mail order service (their cost is $326). That's $442 toward the donut hole. So, I decided to try a Canadian pharmacy that advertizes here locally and has four offices in the county. My doctor's office is familiar with this pharmacy and recommended I talk to them. The US can't yet sell the generic version but I can get it through Canada for $53 plus $10 shipping for a 90 day supply. Their manufacturer is a company in India that is FDA aproved. It's one of this Canadian company's biggest seller because of the generic version being available outside the US. I'm paying about half price and it won't count toward the donut hole. I've got it on order and will see how this system works out.

One issue that I have never seen addressed and it surprises me.

we maintain too many separate hospitals system with each requiring, buildings, support facilities, vehicles, equipment, supplies, doctors, nurses, staff, admin.
1. Veterans Hospitals
2. Military Hospitals for active duty and dependents
3. Private Hospitals
4. Children Hospitals
5. Public Hospitals
6. University Hospitals.

etc.

You would think that some efficiency would be gained by having some standardization and pooled resources.

Here's the #1 most ineffecient part of the healthcare system - third party payers. If we got rid of those altogether, healthcare costs would drop like a rock....but nobody wants to do that because they love their $15 co-pays.

Here's another article I found addressing the issues of cost and effectiveness...

Yahoo! Personal Finance: Calculators,Money Advice,Guides,& More

To get your mind around the concept of "cost effective," think about the following exercise. Suppose I offered you a choice today -- while you are presumably healthy -- between $400,000 and an extra two weeks of life at some point. Most people would take the $400,000. We don't have unlimited resources. The best way to get excellent health outcomes at an affordable long term cost is to channel our resources to the kinds of medical care that have the most pronounced impact on health.

Back
Top Bottom