Life in the US

In Japan, many ATMs are only open during bank business hours.

Having lived in Europe and Japan/Asia I have to say that the 24 hour availablity in the US is a big plus.

In many countries food/clothing/service stores (and even gas stations) are not open every night and/or Sundays (and the three dozen holidays a year!). Getting better, but not there yet.

And doing a lot of things online is harder than just doing it in person.

Try opening a checking account in France! Talk about Catch 22!

In many countries food/clothing/service stores (and even gas stations) are not open every night and/or Sundays (and the three dozen holidays a year!). Getting better, but not there yet.

I am not sure that being open on Sunday and holidays is better. I remember as a youth having great family and friend parties and picnics on Sunday. With the exception of a few people involved in public safety everybody had the day off and we could all get together. Today, that is gone. Very sad.

I am not sure that being open on Sunday and holidays is better. I remember as a youth having great family and friend parties and picnics on Sunday. With the exception of a few people involved in public safety everybody had the day off and we could all get together.
+1

I am not sure that being open on Sunday and holidays is better. I remember as a youth having great family and friend parties and picnics on Sunday. With the exception of a few people involved in public safety everybody had the day off and we could all get together. Today, that is gone. Very sad.

I agree 100%. But the OP was about the convenience factor; being able to get something done in short order..."quality of life" may be on another forum <grin>

Reminded me of a story from about 10 year ago. A good US friend and I share a friendship with a guy (and his DW) from Poland. Whenever the Polish couple travels to the US (about every 10 years) someone in our network of friends tries to provide them a car for a few weeks. My US friend owned 6 vehicles and didn't mind letting the Polish couple take his Olds station wagon (early 80's model with near 200K on it). None of us had any idea of the extensive travel our Polish friends had planned this trip . Upon return (with 17K more miles on the odometer) our Polish friend was exclaiming how well the car had performed. It had only required 2 new tires, a water pump and front brakes. I guess in Poland, that would have been a very good 17K mile trip. The car had to be a gas guzzler as well, but with $1.75 gas (instead of $6 or $8) it must have seemed cheap to fill the tank.

Last summer, in my most recent visit with our Polish friend, he related that his old car (the one he had unfavorably compared to the clapped-out Olds 10 years earlier) was probably going to need to be replaced soon.

All a matter of perspective, I suppose. So glad we live Hawaii. So glad we live USA. YMMV

No disagreement there. As long as you enjoy and take advantage of the lifestyle where you live, there is no one way that is better.

When we were in Central America in the fall, we were amazed at the cheap cell phone service. Ten years ago there were no land lines across the country and telecommunications (and hence business development) was almost nonexistent. Today, people are talking on them everywhere, and not the country's elite or ruling class, either--we saw a barefoot young man on a horse in the countryside, cell phone to ear, as he carried bundles of sticks.
The cell phone has proven to be such an enabler for low income people that were denied access to economic activity because of lack of land communications infrastructure. That and over the air Internet.

Back
Top Bottom