Lightweight travel compromises

Sink washable, quick dry clothing primarily, dark black jeans that don't need to be washed to remain looking clean, and that can be dressed up with a shirt/blouse for evening events, one or two scarfs to add zip, tie sneakers to outside of carryon to eliminate bulk in luggage. No white/light colored items, lightweight black raincoat that can be tucked into outside carryon pocket, plus operate as an evening coat. No cotton- to hard to wash and to long to dry.

Nice white sneakers (Euro style) that can be worn everywhere and with everything, plus one dark pair of shoes for nicer events. That pretty much covers it for shoes, male or female.

I've gotten used to wearing a basically black ensemble day after day, plus black will always read as having style. I don't want to standout excessively, a goal when traveling as I do my best to blend with the local culture.

Wife and I shared a suitcase for 6 weeks in Mexico, 20% of it was things we thought might be hard to find or that we didn't want to buy that might only be used once and then left behind. We also had a carryon bag each with laptop and iPad, meds, etc.

We could almost get away with a carryon each only if we really had to.

I got my first lesson in traveling light on my first motorcycle road trip.
Half the crap I was thinking to take had to go back upstairs to the apartment. :LOL:

Your post brought back good memories!

In 2003, we rode our motorcycles on a month-long trip starting in Florida, up the east coast into Canada, back into the US and across the northern part of the country to the west coast, then down the coast to home. Thought we'd need to drastically compress our usual airline "one-carryon-bag-each" type of packing.

But...we had two saddlebags, a tankbag, and a trunk on the back of each bike, so actually, it ended up that we could carry more clothing and personal supplies on the bikes than we do on a plane trip. Had to account for the camping supplies of a sleeping bag each plus one small tent, and the bike supplies such as tools, oil, covers, etc., and we also packed one 1 gal gas can each, but even with all that, we had more than enough space for our clothing and toiletries. Stayed every third night or so in a hotel that had laundry services.

It was the best trip ever! :)

• Buy clothing you can easily wash in the sink and will dry overnight.
  • You can always buy something you need.

+1

I always travel light with just a backpack and a carry-on roller (same one I've been using since 1994) and err on the side of under-packing. I wash my own clothes in the sink or shower (bundle washed items inside hotel towels and squeeze tightly will ensure that they dry by next morning), and if I need anything on the trip, I can always just buy it.

I'll admit that in recent years, traveling light has become a bit harder with all the electronic gizmos that have become "indispensable" on a trip: camera/phone + charger, a lightweight laptop (for writing trip journals, backing up dash cam files and pics) + charger, dash cam (to record my drives in rental car), outlet adapters, line splitter and Garmin GPS navigation unit.

I'll admit that in recent years, traveling light has become a bit harder with all the electronic gizmos that have become "indispensable" on a trip: camera/phone + charger, a lightweight laptop (for writing trip journals, backing up dash cam files and pics) + charger, dash cam (to record my drives in rental car), outlet adapters, line splitter and Garmin GPS navigation unit.

I stick with an iPhone for gps/camera and an iPad as a lightweight laptop. I even have an inexpensive bluetooth keyboard in case I need to type. I can also use this to connect back to my real laptop which I leave at home.

No reason to take a lot of gadgets.

No it comes with a plastic card that you use to fold everything with and then the card sits on top of the pile of clothes to act as a stiffener.

I use these, too. I put the stuff that doesn't wrinkle in a compression bag. Then I put pants and tops in separate garment folders. They are like envelopes. They come in different sizes with a folding board. Starting doing this when I traveled for work and the clothes come out fine. I can put two garment bags, a compression bag in my international carry on and have room to spare for shoes and other stuff.
BR

I stick with an iPhone for gps/camera and an iPad as a lightweight laptop. I even have an inexpensive bluetooth keyboard in case I need to type. I can also use this to connect back to my real laptop which I leave at home.

Isn't it possible to eliminate the iPad and keyboard by using the talk to text feature on the cell phone for journal writing? There are also apps (like Strava) for tracking and recording your drive on the cell phone.

Cheers!

On a bicycle tour I learned that I do best with two sets of riding clothes. On night one I rinse out the clothes I wore and get them drying. The next day repeat with the second set. Day three I wear the first set- they had two nights to dry (Not much drying in the daytime if they're packed inside my carrier. On trips that I took more clothes I just ended up carrying more dirty clothes.

Traveling by car/plane/train I carry more- but there's still the point after less than a week that I plan to wash clothes. About three changes is a good number. Two pair of trousers just in case one gets stained. Just wash out the day's dirty clothes in the sink and hang to dry. That way I seldom have dirty clothes to pack and they don't get stinky. It goes without saying that quick drying, non-wrinkly items are best.

• We never go fancy, but I do find that a nice looking sweater is very versatile as it can be used to dress up a little but is also obviously good for warmth too.
  • A microfiber beach towel works well as an airline blanket if we're going to tropical destinations and don't need any warm clothes.
  • My last trip to Hawaii I only took one pair of sandals which served for everything- but that's Hawaii. I didn't bring a jacket or long pants- my bag was 1/2 empty.
  • For luggage I have a carry-on roller for the overhead bin and a backpack for underseat. These are fine for USA domestic airlines but I would need smaller versions if we were to fly on many other airlines.

Last edited:
Since I retired I only travel VIA car/truck/suv... Overnight is easy of course. One "carry-on type bag" with whatever I deem as essentials. Trips that last several days to a week or more and I pack multiple "carry-on type bags". Each bag is good for about three days worth of "stuff". When one is "used up" I just grab the next bag. That way when I check-in or out, I'm only carrying one smaller bag and the rest stay in the vehicle. Works for me.

We always try to avoid checking bags, we have had too many lost luggage issues. We use backpacks instead of rolling carryons. We like to keep our hands free. When going to warm climates we wear/carry on convertible pants that allow you to zip off the lower part of the leg and turn them into shorts.

Isn't it possible to eliminate the iPad and keyboard by using the talk to text feature on the cell phone for journal writing? There are also apps (like Strava) for tracking and recording your drive on the cell phone.

Cheers!

I use the iPad for a variety of tasks. It's my main device for consuming content, mostly eBooks, but also news aggregator, fitness videos. For long flights, I'll download content from Netflix/HBO/etc and watch on the plane.

I've thought about using a bigger iPhone for some of this, but it wouldn't be the same. The iPad is small and light enough that it's not a problem. Way better than taking a laptop.

I've thought about using a bigger iPhone for some of this, but it wouldn't be the same. The iPad is small and light enough that it's not a problem. Way better than taking a laptop.

I think it's all about what you're used to. I upgraded from a 4.7" iPhone 8 to the 6.7" iPhone 14+. Actual screen area doubled. I've done 3 trips leaving the laptop at home because this screen seems so big. Probably by next year it will seem small again as my eyes fade.

We very seldom travel internationally with our phones. We each use our ipads extensively. No other electronics except a small camera. All carried on our person.

Carry on only is perfect for us. It certainly is not for everyone. It might be very different if you are going from air terminal to resort and back.

Our travel regime is different. It may be an 8 or 9 week independent land trip.
But, depending where we are travelling there are sometimes spontaneous last minute AI's added in during those travels. Or there may not be.

The only perfect way to travel is the way that suits you best based on your destinations and your personality. I would never try to convince anyone to switch to carry on simply because we prefer it.

Thank you for mentioning the plight of the tall traveler! All our clothing and shoes are at least 30 percent larger than the shorties and we have ti fit them into the same carry-on size. I have not been able to reach the ‘only carry on’ because of these challenges, but I do make sure my carry-on contains my clothes/shoes, because if they are lost I sure won’t find any that will fit outside of Germany or Scandinavia.

My laptop is a lightweight 2-in-1 touch screen detachable so I can detach the keyboard/hard drive and then use it just like an iPad. With a large hard drive capacity, I have tons of movies and eBooks loaded on there for entertainment during downtime. I keep a very detailed journal of all my travels so a good keyboard on a trip is a must. Can also use it to back up the dash cam files, which can run up to 20-30 GB a day depending on how much driving I do.

I've tried using iPhone as GPS but it's just not as good as Garmin GPS navigation in busy city driving when there are multiple lanes or freeway connections and the GPS navigation is much more helpful in directing which lanes to get on for turns/exits.

Last edited:
Our air travel these days is BTD mode. We happily use the hotel/lodging laundry/dry cleaning or a nearby laundromat to minimize the amount of clothes we need to pack.

I find compression shirts and tights to provide a lot of warmth and are very light. With those layers I do not need to pack sweatshirts or heavy jeans.

I have a nice pair of black walking sneakers that I use for travel - they look like casual shoes unless you look very closely, so they double as my "dress" shoes of needed. I have a thin pair of pool shoes for wearing around the hotel room to give the sneakers a break :).

When I need to bring a suit or sports jacket along I used to bring a garment bag... now via the Youtube videos I have learned how to fold a jacket and store it efficiently in a carryon, so that after unpacking there are few wrinkles (which go away after hanging it up for a few hours).

Trial size items for any toiletries.

For electronics I travel with a 10" tablet. I have a keyboard stand that I can use with either my tablet or phone. If I need Windows access I have a 10" Acer One Windows tablet in a detachable keyboard case.

I no longer by souvenirs for family, so no need for extra room in my suitcase for them :).

Google Maps on my Android phone works great for me for navigation, I have used it internationally and never had any problems.

The link is from my sister, who has a travel business.
When we travel, most of the time I carry a lot of photography gear, which becomes my carry on. The tripod does not fit in a small bag, so we are checking something anyway. We really like having certain stuff and just lug what we need to.
https://www.eurotravelcoach.com/blog/2018/2/13/how-to-pack-like-a-pro

Unless we are diving or carrying aged wines to kids' houses, we do not check bags. (Next big trip, we begin with 4-5 weeks of diving, then hope to store the dive gear in either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for the land based portion of the trip....)

We do it by purchasing lightweight, quick-dry, wicking clothes, layering, laundry in the room's sink, and drying with the elastic clotheslines we carry with us. And, every so often, use local laundry facilities. To the extent that we take pictures of each other, rather than the wildlife and landscapes, I suppose seeing the same old clothes might get boring?

We don't see it as a hardship; rather, as a discipline that allows us to get around more easily once we leave the airport.

Last big trip was 72 days, including Easter Island, fancy restaurants in Santiago, Montevideo, and Buenos Aires, three week cruise including Antarctica, and 35 days driving/hiking Patagonia.

The return trip, after stuffing in the "free" heavy coats from the cruise line, was pushing it for our carry-on bags and personal items, but we did it...

Wow. I'm scraping my jaw off the floor...That is impressive. And I almost always use a carryon, but I'm not gone 72 days either. Would you mind recounting what exactly you pack, especially clothes-wise? I need to go clothes shopping (which I generally don't look forward to, ha) and I'd love to have lightweight travel in mind...

thanks!

Wow. I'm scraping my jaw off the floor...That is impressive. And I almost always use a carryon, but I'm not gone 72 days either. Would you mind recounting what exactly you pack, especially clothes-wise? I need to go clothes shopping (which I generally don't look forward to, ha) and I'd love to have lightweight travel in mind...

thanks!

We are just finishing 6 weeks in Mexico. The wife and I shared one checked bag. I probably could have taken everything I need in a backpack but since we had the suitcase I took a few extra things.

All I really needed for clothes was 2 tank tops, 2 T-shirts, 1 "nicer" shirt for going out, 2 pair underwear, 1 pair beach shorts, I pair pants with zip off legs, 1 pair socks.

Since we had the suitcase I took cheap beach sandals, good sandals, and wore a pair of runners for the flight. I also took more clothes but realized that they weren't required.

We have friends down here with more extensive wardrobes but they drove. Those who flew down have limited clothes, but no one cares if you only have 2 or 3 shirts as long as you don't smell, lol.

If you roll your clothes carefully there will be minimal wrinking. I have found that hanging in the closet on arrival usually gets rid of wrinking in a couple of days. You can always iron. Not sure if they are available on cruises but after 30 years of business travel I have never encountered a hotel anywhere that would not provide one for free.
I just got back from a NCL cruise and I saw an iron and ironing board laying in the hall outside one of the cabins while on the cruise.

We have been doing it for 12 years plus. 8-9 snowbird weeks in SE Asia, etc in the winter, 8 weeks in Europe in Sept/Oct.

Mostly independent travel but sometimes we pick up last minute AI or cruise offers depending on where we happen to be.

We do what others on this forum do. We have got to the point where whenever we shop for clothes our first thought on a garment is how will it travel, how heavy is it, will it complement the other layered items that we typically pack.

At one point we would occasionally go into the travel stores to look at 'travel clothing'. Most of it was overpriced. The absolute best travel shirts that I have are Costco Kirkland brand! Same for DW. The key is not price or where you buy them, or indeed the make. There are exceptions. I am on my second pair of very basic Teva sandals....because of the weight and the instep support. And waterproof. I don't even bother looking at anything else

This is a great pragmatic thread - required reading for tips!

My wife and I each carry a roller board suitcase (we need new ones as Europe's cobbles eat the wheels), and a backpack. My backpack is larger and heavier as I carry the iPads, chargers, books, maps, etc.

Contents are tailored based on weather, obviously, and size of items (one can tuck a lot of small lightweight stuff), but in the past I wore a pair of shoes and carried a pair (next trip I will only wear a pair - probably dark gray pull ons by Skechers - if I need more I'll buy), maybe sandals, synthetic underwear that can be sink washed, three pairs of socks. Rain jacket with hood (I love my Marmot), a lighter weight puffy jacket (latest stuffs into the shape of an airplane neck pillow!), a few t-shirts (easy to buy replacements - short or long based on weather, but some are easy to pull up sleeves!), the belt I am wearing, a hat appropriate to the countries visiting (more to try and fit in a bit). Wear a pair of jeans and carry a pair of jeans (one black one blue). Jackets all dark blue or black. All the above will actually fit in my backpack, but is easier to have a roller. Any space left over in roller goes to wife's needs.

We've done laundry in various places - always a great way to meet locals - most fun recently was in Nazare. A bit of detergent and can even skip this unless laundry location is convenient. Always good to have a down day, too - this makes one feel more "normal" ...

The link is from my sister, who has a travel business.
When we travel, most of the time I carry a lot of photography gear, which becomes my carry on. The tripod does not fit in a small bag, so we are checking something anyway. We really like having certain stuff and just lug what we need to.
https://www.eurotravelcoach.com/blog/2018/2/13/how-to-pack-like-a-pro

10 pairs of socks. Really?

Alas, as a guy over 6 feet, I doubt if I could get my sizes of all that clothing into the same space she does. The pair of hiking shoes alone would be a killer. Toss in 10 pairs of socks, two long sleeve t-shirts, etc. etc. etc. and I would need steamer trunk to pack like her.

For tall guys I find Rick Steves guide to how he packs makes more sense. Mr. Steves is about 6 feet tall. Alas, he has not updated it recently and it is a bit dated in regards to electronics.

Last edited:
10 pairs of socks. Really?

Alas, as a guy over 6 feet, I doubt if I could get my sizes of all that clothing into the same space she does. The pair of hiking shoes alone would be a killer. Toss in 10 pairs of socks, two long sleeve t-shirts, etc. etc. etc. and I would need steamer trunk to pack like her.

For tall guys I find Rick Steves guide to how he packs makes more sense. Mr. Steves is about 6 feet tall. Alas, he has not updated it recently and it is a bit dated in regards to electronics.

I'm with you. I'm 6'4" and 300+ pounds. My clothes take up a LOT more space than I see on all these "how to pack light" videos and websites. And my shoes are size 14! However, I have learned nonetheless, that I need to look into these compression bags (already ordered) and also to think about washing out my clothes during my trips. I have a couple 3-week Europe trips coming up and I want to use my smaller (still pretty big) bag rather than the larger bag I took on a 7-day cruise earlier this month.

Back
Top Bottom